OT - Any gardeners out there?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

OT - Any gardeners out there?

I bought some pots with little daffodils to decorate the room where we had the reception for my mother's service last week. I brought some of them home and want to plant them in our garden so they come up every Spring. I thought it would be a nice reminder of her. She loved flowers - especially yellow.

Do I go ahead and plant them this Spring when things warm up? Or should I cut them back and somehow keep them and plant in the Fall when most bulbs are traditionally planted.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT - Any gardeners out there?

That's really nice, misslily.  However, you don't plant daffodils in the Spring; they bloom in Spring but are planted in the Fall.  I don't know how to preserve the bulbs until then, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

ETA:  Here is a page on them (broken up on two lines to keep from posting too far to the right), and it gives a phone number you can call with "gardening questions."

http://www.americanmeadows.com/planting-flower-bulbs/

about-bulbs-in-fall/fall-bulb-faqs

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Thanks Kar. I know that most bulbs are planted in the Fall to bloom the following Spring - hence my confusion.

Maybe I'll just ask the lady at Winston's who sold them to me. :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

I always planted the american society potted daffodils in the ground once it becomes unfrozen and they have always bloomed the next spring.  I think it's a wonderful idea to honor your mom and I'm sure the kids will have fun helping you out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

yes, you can plant them in the Spring and they should be ok and bloom the following Spring, but I'm not 100% sure it works every time and these are really special ones.  I'd definitely call to be sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Mine have re-bloomed and multipled over the years.  We done the same with other bulbed plants we recieve during easter.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Plant them now, with the leaves still on.  Once the leaves wither/die back you can cut them for aesthetic's sake.  It's true that you usually plant bulbs in the fall but those are bulbs that have stored energy away all summer and are fat and ready to sprout the following fall.  Putting the plants in now will give them a chance to store up some energy for next year.  Daffodils are ridiculously hardy.  They'll most likely come back with no trouble next year, little bits of sunshine just when you need them. 

Sections
Shortcuts