OT- men's undershirts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Re: OT- men's undershirts

Baby wash setting?  Wow, is there anything that can't be made specifically to angle for the parent market? 

Doesn't it sound like a setup for a scene in the Amelia Bedelia books?  I can picture her about to put the baby in the machine...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

ETA: I picture adding Cascade to the washer resulting in a scene like that from an old Brady Bunch episode...

LOL. Dishwasher soap (the kind of Cascade I assume she meant) doesn't make bubbles, so it's fine.

But that's why you never, ever add regular dishsoap to the dishwasher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: OT- men's undershirts:
    [QUOTE]Baby wash setting?  Wow, is there anything that can't be made specifically to angle for the parent market?  Doesn't it sound like a setup for a scene in the Amelia Bedelia books?  I can picture her about to put the baby in the machine...
    Posted by purplecow89[/QUOTE]

Ah ha ha!  Love Amelia Bedelia.
    Also am entertained by this thread and by the Brady Bunch reference.

I would also like to point out that with the baking soda and vinegar mentioned, you can make a neat-o volcano!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

RedFish - duh, you're right, it wouldn't make bubbles!  But I enjoy thinking of that scene. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

yes purple! we have a sanitize cycle and a baby wash cycle-not sure what the difference is, they both take forever and use 140 degree water.

HE is the high efficiency washers-they typically use only 11 gallons of water when the old school ones use aprox 40 gallons.

Kar-I've noticed our clothes get much cleaner with this washer! Though I'm not sure it's really worth the extra $$ to get one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

p.s. when I was 13 we moved to a house with our first dishwasher and my dad absolutely put regular dish soap in it.
    It was a Bubble Brady Bunch Bonanza!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

ah -- i want one of those but i'm waiting till my current one dies - i like the thought of using less water - and most people say it cleans better -- i also think (but i'm not sure) that you can shove more dirty laundry in them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]ah -- i want one of those but i'm waiting till my current one dies - i like the thought of using less water - and most people say it cleans better -- i also think (but i'm not sure) that you can shove more dirty laundry in them.
    Posted by lukeseri58[/QUOTE]

Apparently, all front loading HE washers are not created equal with respect to cleaning the clothes.  The people who say they clean the clothes better probably have the models/brands that do.  The people who say their clothes come out still dirty, probably don't.  Ours doesn't do a good job at all, and I hate it, but I acknowledge that some HE front loaders are capable of getting the clothes super clean.  I wish I had one of those.  I'm not saving water by washing things twice.

ETA:  IF price is correlated to the HE machines' ability to clean (not always true, I know), I'd DEFINITELY fork over the extra to get one that WORKS.  No sense having a washing machine that doesn't get the clothes clean at any price, right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Interesting subject. Kargiver is into something. Our machines' hot water is not hot enough. My dear mother always boiled our white underwear in a bit of soap flakes. Then washed them. And we had the whitest clothes ever.
    When my boys used to live at home and wore a lot of white t-shirts, I used a product called: Yellow Out. I bought it on line, and have converted several friends to use it. Took out the yellow and lots of other stains. Only problem was, I had to wash them separately. I haven't seen it for a while in the catalogs, so I googled it and found this interesting article:
    http://askville.amazon.com/yellow-stains-armpits-white-shirts/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5266159
    OP, why do you feel like a 50th housewife? Perfectly clean clothes never go out of style. Our grandparents did it the hard way, washing by hand and hanging the laundry out in the sun to dry. The sun did a heck of a good job bleaching everything. And thus their white clothing was snow white. We are so lucky, that we have all the amenities. Our busy life style these days will not accomodate the "laundry days" (they collected everything and had a marathon wash once every month. - Good grief!) our grandmothers and mothers had.
    Oh boy, do I ever love my washer and dryer. They are the ones I miss the most, when traveling and going on vacation. - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, I don't say things like, "Not to sound like a wife who has to work outside her home, but..."  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I have to disagree that HE front loading washers don't get clothes cleaner while using less water.  They agitate the clothes much more than any top loader would and as a result, for me, get clothes much cleaner.  I would look for a European brand if you are in the market for one.  Front loaders have always been the standard in Europe.  I have a Miele which is outragously expensive, but built to last unlike many other brands. 

No solution for armpit stains.  TG my DH isn't much of a sweater!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't see where anyone said that none of the HE washers clean the clothes well, just that they are not all created equal.  I wish we had your brand, Trouble, no matter how much it costs, because our Whirlpool s cks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I have no opinion re front and top loading HE washers and cleanliness. However, I will say I hate our front loading HE washer. We just moved and the place we are in now has a front loading HE washer and the old place had a top loading HE washer. You cannot fit ANYTHING into the front loaders.  I have to do twice as many loads b/c the washer just cannot fit enough stuff in it.  I don't notice any real difference in cleanliness.  I did try the baking soda in the washer this weekend. It worked fine and I thought the whites looked a little brighter.  I just wish I could fit more clothes in the darn thing. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I hate my front loading HE washer too!  I feel like it's a feat not to drop something from the washing machine as I'm loading it into the dryer. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, that's another thing.  I have pretty much caved to the FACT that wet, clean clothes will end up all over the floor on their way to the dryer, and I don't go to great lengths anymore to keep it from happening.  Everything is tangled so when you try to pull one thing out, a mess of others come out with it.  I also wonder how much I'm going to enjoy getting down on my hands and knees to take clothes out of the washer and put them in the dryer when I'm 50 or 60+.  I couldn't despise my washer more than I do and for so MANY reasons.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

Is your home set up so there is no way to get a top loader? (I have a top loader, but I still manage to drop wet clothes on the floor all the time. It's not just a front loader issue.)

Washing machines don't last forever, so you're only stuck with it if your home is designed that way. It doesn't solve the problem of getting the clothes out of the dryer, though.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

We have the pedestals with drawers under our washer and dryer, and that helps because I pull the drawers out and things just fall into the drawers if I drop them.  Otherwise, can't you just put a laundry basket underneath the washer door to catch what you drop? 

We have our cats' litterbox in the laundry room so I can't drop anything for fear the cat "stuff" might get on the clean clothes. 

BTW, anyone want some cats?  j/k.  mostly..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

We have the drawers/pedestals too - not a bad idea.  Of course I could just put everything from the washing mashine into the basket and then put it into the dryer, but that's a whole other step, lol! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

When we bought our top loading HE washer, DH insisted no front loaders... reading this I am glad he insisted.

When we bought it, we were trying for kids, but not pg yet and I insisted on the biggest one we could find - It's about 5 cubic ft and it fits (and cleans) a boatload of stuff - more than I can fit in the dryer if I fill it up (still using the dryer which came with the house)  

It's a Sears/Kenmore Cabrio I think for anyone in the market

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Is your home set up so there is no way to get a top loader? (I have a top loader, but I still manage to drop wet clothes on the floor all the time. It's not just a front loader issue.) Washing machines don't last forever, so you're only stuck with it if your home is designed that way. It doesn't solve the problem of getting the clothes out of the dryer, though.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish[/QUOTE]

It's designed for the front loader, but Trouble's post gives me hope that when this one bites the bullet (and I've thought of shooting it), I can get one that at least does a great job of cleaning the clothes.  

Getting clothes out of the dryer one by one is a lot easier since they are not in a wet, tangled knot so I don't mind that at all.  

No room for a basket under our washer's door.  I just have to keep the floor clean. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]We have our cats' litterbox in the laundry room so I can't drop anything for fear the cat "stuff" might get on the clean clothes.  Posted by Trouble30[/QUOTE]

We do too!  I hate even when it's dirty clothes that I drop in there!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My sister in Europe had a front loader, and I hated it. When we were shopping for appliances for our new home, they were fairly new in US, and the sales people tried hard to sell them to us. DH thought they were a good idea, but thankfully I stuck to my guns and got my top loading Kenmore, which I love.
    We gave our son and DIL a pair of LG washer and dryer as a house warming gift, when they moved into their home. They had done a lot of research before hand and picked the front loader and the brand. They absolutely love it, and the clothes do get very clean.
    So I guess it is worth to do a lot of research, before one spend all that money. There are so many different brands on the market, and the price it not always an indication, than one is better than the other. No need to spend all kind of money for the latest inventions, if one is never going to use them. I always believe to keep an appliance as simple as possible. The more bells and whistles it has, the more can go wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The CR article I linked to sorts it all out nicely...no laundry pun intended.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kar, no more bouquet!?  We are on the fence between top and front loaders for when we actually buy new ones. Ours still work, so I have a hard time throwing them away.  I was leaning towards top loaders because of the issues some front loaders have with water getting in the door and causing mildew problems.   
        I also drop laundry on the floor, and it's quite a problem seeming that our machines are in the dirty basement. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

BDC ranomly removes my avatar for short times, very strange.  

Sections
Shortcuts