OT- need a dairy free & diabetic friendly recipe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

OT- need a dairy free & diabetic friendly recipe

Hi all,

I'm hosting some people for a playgroup and need to prepare a snack that is preferably dairy free as well as diabetic friendly. It will be in the mid-morning so breakfast type things are a plus.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Re: OT- need a dairy free & diabetic friendly recipe

hmm... that is a tough one...

What about a dipping platter?  You could do a mix of cut fruits (some being better than others for diabetic) with PB and yogurt.  Maybe add some cheese and mixed nuts?  If you thought it wouldn't be too tempting for those on diabetic diets, you could also add in the standard fair of crackers/pita chips. 

I can't think of any single snack off the top of my head that would suit all needs (and be easy to prep, convenient to serve, etc), but the mix-n-match platter might give everyone a shot at finding something that they like and works with their diets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NH-Sox-Fan. Show NH-Sox-Fan's posts

How about mini quiches? Beat a few eggs (depends on how many you are serving), using water rather than milk, then add chopped veggies (sautéed onion/mushroom/pepper/broccoli/zucchini, etc.) and/or ham/bacon/sausage (also pre-cooked). No cheese, of course. Bake in mini cupcake tins or liners. They should only take 10 or 15 minutes to bake. They can be served hot, warm, or be easily reheated, if made ahead. Serve them with some fresh fruit and maybe with some whole wheat pitas or mini bagels and you should be all set. Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Do you really need "NON DAIRY" or lactose free? My husband is severely lactose intolerant and he can eat hard cheese and butter. No soft cheese, American cheese, milk or cream.And I substitute Lactose milk in recipes that call for milk.
    If you really need dairy free there are some websites that offer dairy free recipes. Sometimes you can also use rice milk or soy milk. Soy cheese also.
    Diabetics need low carb...right?
    It's really tough to think of something non-dairy, lowcarb AND breakfast!I'm thinking a chef salad is about the only thing everyone can eat! :)
    Good luck.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Plain hard boiled eggs are kid friendly, dairy free, and diabetic super friendly. If you have a steamer, you can perfectly steam a dozen in 35 minutes the night before. If you do anything with a crust, use 100% whole grain and roll it extra thin to be diabetic friendly. I just brought a dipping platter to a party yesterday, and it was a big hit. Hummus and baba ganoush (eggplant hummus) are dairy free. I made a 1/2 hummus, 1/2 baba ganoush recipe I made up, and it was devoured much to my surprise. I cut up carrots, de-seeded and cut up cukes, peppers, and radishes to dip from the garden. Thanks to dh for growing, picking, and washing them. Fruit salad is not as diabetic friendly, but if you are serving eggs and other protein to balance it out, it wouldn't be bad. Also, be sure to put out small dishes for it so no one will load up a huge bowl of fruit/sugar.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

In Response to Re: OT- need a dairy free & diabetic friendly recipe:
    Do you really need "NON DAIRY" or lactose free? My husband is severely lactose intolerant and he can eat hard cheese and butter. No soft cheese, American cheese, milk or cream.And I substitute Lactose milk in recipes that call for milk. If you really need dairy free there are some websites that offer dairy free recipes. Sometimes you can also use rice milk or soy milk. Soy cheese also. Diabetics need low carb...right? It's really tough to think of something non-dairy, lowcarb AND breakfast!I'm thinking a chef salad is about the only thing everyone can eat! :) Good luck.
    Posted by misslily

It's for 3 nursing mamas whose babies can't have any dairy, so I think that's all dairy and lactose products.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Here's a dairy/sugar/gluten free deviled eggs recipe:

I also love broccoli salad as a snack.  Quick, easy and filling.

If you have any vegetarians in the group you can put bacon bits and shredded cheddar cheese on the side as toppings (I'm a veggie hence the name!)  Here's a recipe I found:

It's different from my version - I serve the broccoli raw and only have Broccoli, Red Onions, (pre) Shredded Carrots, Cheddar Cheese, and (fake) Bacon as my base plus the dressing.  You could probably put all of that together plus the dressing the recipe above uses (ignoring the recipe's base ingredients) to make both the prep and your shopping easier!

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be great and have fun!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Yup - that's nondairy alright.How abou a few "tea sandwiches"? You could get a loaf of the Peppridge Farm very thin bread in the whole wheat and make chicken salad, egg salad, cucumber, ham...whatever. And some veggies and dip as others have said. Just make sure the dip is non-dairy (so no blue cheese dressing!).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fakin, try adding sesame seeds to your broc salad - had it that way at a party, and it added awesome toasted goodness and great texture along with a little protein, always a bonus for a vegetarian and/or diabetic!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Effrontery. Show Effrontery's posts

- ham or proscuitto roll-ups with asparagus inside. Of course it's best with boursin cheese, but you can use soy fake cream cheese for dairy free. These are also amazing with pesto, but I don't know if that's breakfast-y enough. - Frittata with soy cheese - breakfast pizza with a super-thin crust, drained diced tomatoes, and scrambled eggs for the "cheese". Even better if you put crumbled bacon on top. - Whole grain waffles or pancakes aren't that bad, especially if you top them with peanut butter or almond butter and some fruit. Substitute unsweetened soy milk if you are making them from scratch and add cinnamon to fake sweetness.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Turns out it just needs to be dairy free, so that at least gives me a bit more leeway. I'll figure something out!

Sections
Shortcuts