OT - Soups

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

OT - Soups

It must be the weather. I am very interested in making soup these days.  Anyone have a favorite soup recipe to share?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PugsandKisses. Show PugsandKisses's posts

Re: OT - Soups

Hot and sour soup has been one of my biggest pregnancy cravings, so I finally found a recipe and tried making my own tonight.  I couldn't believe it...it was so easy, quick, and delicious!  I'm shocked at how much it tastes like the soup you'd get in a Chinese restaurant.  This is the recipe I used:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1748,135181-254194,00.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Portuguese kale soup!  I've adapted my grandmother's recipe to factor in the fact that we buy groceries differently in this country than they do in the Azores.

1 bag of dry "16 bean soup" mix -- Try the mexican aisle in the supermarket, I think Goya has a brand. 
    3-4 medium red potatoes
    1 onion
    lots of garlic
    1 large carrot or 2 medium carrots
    1 large bunch of kale
    1/2 lb. of sausage (I use chourico and linguica, mmmmmmm).
    1/2 tablespoon salt.
    Attention: you need to start this the night before.
    soak the dry beans in water overnight.  Throw out the spice packet if there is one with the dry beans. You don't need it.

chop the sausage into cubes and sear until golden.
    Meanwhile, chop up the onion and garlic and throw them in with the sausage.
    While they are cooking, chop up the carrots and potatoes and throw them in the pot.
    Drain the soaked beans and put them in the pot.
    Fill pot until everything is covered by about 1.5 inches of water.  Cover and put over high heat.
    Wash kale thoroughly and chop crosswise. I usually use the kale stalks too.
    Once the water is boiling, throw in the chopped kale, cover the pot, and turn down to a low simmer.  Let cook for one hour.  Salt and pepper to taste.

If you omit the sausage it's obviously super healthy but I would advice more spices if you do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Those look so good! 

I have made this one from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine many times since it was published back in October (even for the in-laws and my own parents), and it gets RAVE reviews every time.  It's quick and easy, too.

I use an immersion blender (stick blender), but it calls for a potato masher so you definitely don't need the blender.  We like it creamy, though, and I use it before I add the chicken.

Roasted Butternut and Chicken Soup

Sections
Shortcuts