party goody bags

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from minniemom. Show minniemom's posts

party goody bags

I am wondering what other moms think of party bags . I hate them . I feel that they are a waste of money (especially with the cost of the party nowadays), most of the time they either get dumped in the car or as soon as we get home and the kids don't even care. Now I am trying to think of an idea that would be more practical than the bag of useless favors or candy. Any suggestions ? Would I be the talk of the town if I skip them all together ? We are renting the hockey rink for an afternoon birthday party for 2 of my kids ( age 7 and 8 ) whose birthdays are 6 days apart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: party goody bags

I've always thought favors were stupid for any party.  I'm not sure I know anyone who actually feels differently about it so I bet the parents won't worry much about their little Janes or Johnies coming home without a bag of useless junk or candy.  They got an afternoon free of their kid (everyone needs a break now and then), and their kid got a fun afternoon for which you spent $$$.

P.S.  If you're the talk of the town they should be saying how very nice it was for you to rent out the whole hokey rink for their kids.  If not, if they are nutty enough to worry about the dumb favors, they are mean, selfish jerks, and their opinions really shouldn't mean anything to you in the first place.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

minniemom,
    I would think, you would be the talk of the town not giving out junk bags from parents saying, "Finally a parent with some sense. Now, we don't have to do them either."
    If you really feel you need to give something out, what about candy apples? I am sure the children as well as their parents would love them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

I think it is fine to skip the favors especially for 7 and 8 year olds.  I have done them in the past.  I usually try to go with something disposable/useable.  My son's birthday is in August. I have made my own coloring books and given a 24 pack of crayons (since they are 25 cents at that time).  Of course my son is younger than yours but the kids and parents seem to like them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I like the candy apple idea.  You can get them for $1 each at some orchards (Brookfield Orchards, for one).  But, I stand by skipping them altogether being the best idea.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMountainLady. Show GreenMountainLady's posts

Have you talked to your kids about whether they feel goody bags are worthwhile?  If your kids agree the bags are a waste, then skip them.  If your kids would feel uncomfortable skipping them, maybe they would have suggestions about what the bags should include within a certain price range.

As a mom, I'm not into the bags but I do think the kids like them.  I try not to go overboard.  I ordered a set of a dozen books from Best Bargain Books last year for my son's third birthday.  The cost of the whole set was 79 cents plus 3.00 shipping.  Each kid got a book and then I threw in a ring pop.  The kids seemed happy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from akmom. Show akmom's posts

I haven't done them in years, and nobody seems to notice.  In fact, I've had parents thank me for not sending their kids home with bags full of junk.

If you feel compelled to send something home, why not have the kids do a craft?  There are tons of inexpensive, simple craft kits available at places like Michaels or Oriental Trading Company.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joelabrams. Show joelabrams's posts

I think it's better to give one thing that may actually have lasting value instead of the bag full of junk.  One year, we bought a bunch of the smallest size Playmobil figures when they were on sale.  It was the same $2-3/piece we would have spent on junk, but hopefully actually got used.  Or could be regifted.

The craft set is also a good idea.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CraftyGirl02. Show CraftyGirl02's posts

I think that instead of party bags you should take a group picture at the party and send one in each of the thank you notes.  Printing the pictures only costs about 19 cents at CVS and it's much more personal and memorable than some cheap toys that will be thrown away.  You might also go to the craft store and get some cheap wooden ice skate ornaments (about 25 cents each)  and add a ribbon or magnet and the words "Thank you for celebrating our birthdays with us!" or something like that.

If you must do party bags however, I suggest going to 5 Below or the dollar store for inexpensive treats and toys. 

*http://creativekidscrafts.wordpress.com*

Sections
Shortcuts