Pediatrician Recommendations?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Pediatrician Recommendations?

Now that we've moved, I'd like to find a new pediatrician's office somewhere along 93N, preferably somewhere between Winchester and Andover.  Any recommendations?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Liv22. Show Liv22's posts

Re: Pediatrician Recommendations?

We go to Dr. Inacio at Winchester Pediatrics Inc. She is young and recently joined the practice. Her son is a little older than my DD so it's nice to have someone who just went through what you are going through. We saw Dr. Courtney once for an well check up and she was great too. She is on maternity leave and has another child as well. Dr. Inacio is very down-to-earth and has a great memory. She calls us back fairly quickly when we have questions and will use our names, bring up details of past visits, etc. They are on Main St in Winchester and have sick visits on the weekends. We have Tufts insurance.

http://winchesterpediatrics.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from msol. Show msol's posts

My DS goes to Dr. Robin Smith at Dowd Medical Pediatrics in Reading. I have nothing but good things to stay about her; she asks a lot, she follows up, I never have to wait long, always get in for sick visits, she's very good with children (she usually has to check my son while I'm holding him and he's crying). Every doctor in the practice has their own nurse and she's great too. 

My best friend brings her daughter to Dr. Courtney at Winchester Pediatrics and loves her. When my son was born she wasn't taking any new patients because she was soon to be going on maternity leave.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sometimesIwonder. Show sometimesIwonder's posts

Children's Medical Office in North Andover - AMAZING!  Dr. Winterkorn is my kids' doctor and she is wonderful!  I've had some serious health issues with my kids and I never doubt that she is 1000% on top of things!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

We take our kids to Dowd Pediatrics in Reading also.  Dr. Curdo is our pediatrician, but everyone else that we've seen for sick visits has been great as well.  Dr. Curdo has 4 kids of his own including a set of twins, so he often gives me the "official" advice and the "here's what we did..." advice when applicable.  They're open weekends and evenings.  I've gotten home after work a few times and one of the kids had an issue and I've called and they've had me come right in.  We've been very very happy with them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

I second Pediatricians Inc. in Winchester.  Our primary pediatrician is Dr. Ayanian who is wonderful but we have seen Dr. Inacio as well.  They are responsive and will always fit you in for sick visits. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks everyone!  I now have some places to call. :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Woburn Pediatrics is AWESOME.  (Not sure how close that is to you...but we LOVE them.)  I believe they have a practice in North Andover as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

culhasa -- we use North Andover Pediatrics which is the sister to Woburn Pediatrics.  One great thing about them is that they not only have Saturday hours, they also see patients on Sundays (urgent care only) in Woburn.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We see Dr. Inaccio as well, so just another shout out to her.  She called one time just to check in to see how DS was doing after we discovered he had sensitivities to my milk.   I was impressed that she was calling just to check in!  My SIL drives all the way from N. Andover to winchester to go to Winchester Pediatrics! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Bumping this up b/c my question is kind of on-topic. Those who visited pediatricians before giving birth, what questions do you ask? We have an appointment with one in a couple weeks and I have no idea what to ask them!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hmmm what did I ask... The only questions I remember asking were if they they had evening and/or weekend hours and if they had a 24-hour phone line.  It also helped that I liked the doctor I met.  If you have specific concerns - like wanting to use an alternative schedule for vaccines - ask about that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

I can't remember either! But, I agree with what fram said. Also, in addition to the 24-hour on call doctor, you should ask what time you can call the office to schedule urgent care. Our first pedi was open at 7 a.m. Our current one doesn't open until 8 -- which sounds minor, but when you've got a fussy, feverish kid, the hour wait is a long one! 

Also, it's nice to meet and just get a sense of their style. One pedi we met with entered the room with such a loud, boisterous HELLO that she startled our toddler into a crying fit! (Soon after, we switched to another in the practice for our primary care.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Thanks for bumping this up because I didn't see the other responses! 

Ditto Fram re: what we asked.  I didn't have as many specific questions as much as just wanted to get an impression of the practice and doctor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Arcain -- I asked whether they put newborns in a separate room for those early checkups (not that it was a HUGE consideration for me, but because I wanted to get an idea of how sensitive they would be to my requests in general, or if they would treat me with that new-parent-scorn). I also asked what their call-in policy was (ours has 24-hour call-back from the docs in the practice). I asked if we would see the same doc each time or if there was a rotating staff. I asked if they could support breastfeeding. And I asked about the doc's own experiences to get an idea of how much advice they could give me on non-health-related stuff like sleep issues, discipline, power struggles, child care issues, etc. Our ped is like a paid friend and has given us lots of great advice based on her own experience as a mom, which is what we wanted. But you might not want that! So think about what you DO want and then come up with your own questions. And don't be afraid to ask -- because you'll be asking all kinds of crazy questions when the baby is born, and you need to feel comfortable doing so.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh, and I asked about their vaccination policy. I'm pro-vax and didn't want to be in a waiting room with a bunch of whooping cough carriers with my newborn.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

One more thing-- I asked the hospital affiliation. If anything serious came up, I wanted a seamless referral to a good, convenient hospital.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I sound like I was super prepared -- I wasn't. We didn't really know what we were doing and we went to an ask-and-answer session at one place because I read on babycenter that you were supposed to do that. The place was DISGUSTING and the pediatrician was horrible, and that's when we realized it probably was a good idea to do some investigative work. So we remembered all the stuff other people asked and then we asked the same stuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

We really like our pedi but we didn't really ask many questions, we just signed up for one at the Harvard Vanguard building where we both have our GPs and our pharmacy, for convenience's sake.  I figured between the 5 or 6 pediatricians there I could settle on one eventually.  We lucked out and our first one was GREAT!  A lot of it is really a question of whether you click or not. Go with your gut.  If you ask a lot of questions and still end up with something that doesn't feel quite right, you can always change (though research ahead of time is good and prevents "should I switch?" anxiety after).  If you do care about vaccination schedules that's something that probably needs to be researched since it's a policy. 
    Lemon's idea of a hospital/transition is a great question to ask and could save you some trouble later on.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Oh, lemon, yes -- I thought of the separate waiting room thing, too! One pedi's office had that (we were living in CT at the time) and I was like, du'oh! Genius! Keep the sick and well kids in different areas! I haven't seen that too much since, though. Our current pedi just has everyone with a cough wear a mask, which is not helpful with the hands. Luckily, my kids are old enough that while they're waiting all they do is watch the mostly-denied-by-us episodes of SpongeBob or something.

When we started 10 years ago, we tried to interview potential doctors, but I always felt like us doing so was regarded as...bizarre. I hope practices are more receptive to this now. Is anybody getting that kind of vibe?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

You also want to consider if gender matters, and if the pediatricians have children themselves. A good friend of mine is a pediatrician and she said after having her son, she found that her experience as a parent really does impact the advice she gives and how she gives it.  

All the pediatricians in our practice have kids. Since we have a boy, we did look for a male pedi (we asked my ob/gyn for recommendations while I was pregnant and absolutely love him and have had great experiences with most of the other pedis in his practice). 

I guess I assumed most practices have well and sick waiting areas - so I guess it is not a bad idea to visit the place too. (ours has a well infant/toddler room, teen waiting room and sick waiting room). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Pediatrician Recommendations?:
    [QUOTE]Oh, lemon, yes -- I thought of the separate waiting room thing, too! One pedi's office had that (we were living in CT at the time) and I was like, du'oh! Genius! Keep the sick and well kids in different areas! I haven't seen that too much since, though. Our current pedi just has everyone with a cough wear a mask, which is not helpful with the hands. Luckily, my kids are old enough that while they're waiting all they do is watch the mostly-denied-by-us episodes of SpongeBob or something. When we started 10 years ago, we tried to interview potential doctors, but I always felt like us doing so was regarded as...bizarre. I hope practices are more receptive to this now. Is anybody getting that kind of vibe?
    Posted by ModeratorJen[/QUOTE]

I was/am torn between thinking that the separate room for newborns is awesome and thinking it's silly. It's not like we were going to have a separate world for her, and germs are everywhere. But I did like that it shows how much coddling they were willing to do for new parents. Because I thought I would be super cool and confident but it turned out that I actually needed a lot of coddling.

I also like that our ped took the interview VERY seriously, and acted like she wanted to impress me. She even referred at one point to it being a job interview. She was nice and relaxed and kind and confident etc., but I liked that she showed respect for me. The first place we went was the complete opposite -- it was a group q&a and every time someone would ask a question , the ped woudl roll her eyes and groan!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Lemon reminded me that I also asked if they had a lactaction consultant on staff.  (Is that what the C in LC stands for?  I'm blanking.)

If you are planning to BF, I highly recommend that you ask that question and know what will be available to you.  I ended up making an appt with the LC when DD was a week old because she couldn't latch right.  I never would have gotten through it without that awesome LC!  The LCs at Beth Israel had also given us their phone number and I called them once or twice with questions.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Or at least an LC that they can refer you to, and that they are positive and encouraging about BF'ing and about seeing a lactation consultant.  Our doctor's office is just too small to have one on staff, but they were proactive about suggesting one and gave us the number to call.

I can't remember the specific questions we asked... but the most important thing is that the doctor doesn't make you feel like you're wasting their time with all your questions!  :)