Preschool

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Preschool

I just started looking for a preschool for DD.   It is pretty overwhelming.  Right now DD goes to a home babysitter on Tuesday and Thursday s.  Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I work from home and she is home with me.  Ideally I would like to replace the babysitter with the preschool so I don’t have to pay for two different places.  The issue I am running into is the price.  Since she will need early drop off and extended day, the price of these schools is so expensive.  It looks as though if I sent her on Monday and Wednesday for just the mornings when I am home and to the babysitter on Tuesday and Thursdays it might be cheaper.  In otherwords, the babysitter is cheaper than the cost of Morning and Afternoon school care.   I feel like I am all over the map with this.    Not to mention that the new town we moved in has about 10 different preschools to choose from and everyone is set up differently.  How do other working moms do this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Re: Preschool

I do not have my DD in preschool because she goes to a childcare center (kindercare) that has a preschool-style curriculum.  So it's like she's in preschool all day while I am at work.  I feel like there might have been a thread about this between other SAH moms recently.  I can't remember if it was its own thread or imbedded within another conversation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Good luck with your search! 

One idea would be to look at daycares with preschool curriculums - these are usually the centers, not home daycares -  and have her go only tuesdays and thursdays.   My DD is at a daycare 3 days a week, and there is a preschool curriculum built in. And I know, for example, that the Y near us offers either M-W-F or T-Th as part time daycare/preschool options.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Quad, I feel your pain, we are in a similar situation.  I found a place that was flexible with the days and had extended days but nothing in the summer.  I talked to our daycare provider thinking she could take DD back for summers but she couldn't.  I have an interview with a place next week that has 9 hour days, reasonably priced, and has a summer camp.  I thought about keeping DD out unti lshe was four because the logistics, costs, etc were overwhelming but so far this last place I looked at seems to fit with us very well.

Are you still on the South Shore?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We use Kindercare too.  That way she's in preschool all day long.  For our son, we might do a different program when he gets old enough since he's in a home daycare.  We might use her "transportation lady" and have him carted the 3 minutes down the road to the preschool for half day preschool.  

I think though that I've just realized that there's no real practical way for me to have my kids do traditional preschool.  They pretty much need the daycare/preschool setting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

Have you looked into any Catholic schools? Some Catholic schools have 3 and 4 yr old Pre-k programs which often are cheaper than daycares.  I don't know where you are located but we found one in Waltham, Our Lady's Academy, that has half and full day programs (til 4:30) and then an after school program that goes until 6 PM.  Another one I know of is Rosary Academy in Watertown - they go til 5:30.  You don't have to be Catholic to attend.  Even with the cost of the after school program it's still cheaper than our daycare.  Good luck!  I agree - it's tough to find extended programs but I guess it is something we are going to have to deal with eventually when the kids are in Kindergarten and 1st grade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Just a reminder, Preschool curriculum whether at an all-day, 5x week daycare vs at a part-time "traditional" program are all pretty much the same - standard and regulated by state guidelines. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snowflake133. Show snowflake133's posts

MM - i have to disagree with you - while there are certainly licensing requirments for preschools (mostly safety related) - there are not mandated "curricula" as there would be in elem and secondary schools.  The way that a preschool may "teach" children varies very widely - for instance I can imagine all preschools would think it ideal that their children become literate or pre-literate.  Some sit kids down and make them copy letters from a piece of paper until they can do it themselves.  Others let this develop more organically, reading books that help with letter recognition, having children's names and other labels on all kinds of things, and provide venues where they are welcome to learn the fine motor skills required for printing - but without ever forcing them or "teaching" them to sit down and learn. Guess which group has more kids that thrive and which end up disliking school? I wasn't going to comment but then I went to the NYT and saw this post and realized I needed to. The idea of worksheets for preschoolers is rediculous...and I agree with one commenter that I would exclude that school from my choices if they did give out homework (or worksheets during the day, for that matter) http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/should-preschoolers-have-homework/

All 3-5 year olds need to do is play and be exposed to a range of things - through that they can learn literacy skills, negotiation skills, social skills, the list goes on...