Recipes!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Recipes!

I've noticed that quite a few threads lately (as well as in the past) have included suggestions for recipes -- for pregnant moms, for new moms, for parents-on-the-go, for parents trying to introduce new foods/habits to their kids. So I thought maybe we could start compiling them here for future reference? There have been so many wonderful suggestions on the different parenting boards I can't keep up with them!

For me, I'd love *any* suggestions on a fast (meaning, prepared in 30 minutes or less) dish using chicken as the main protein. I love chicken because it's cheap and all my kids eat it, but I get very, very tired of my usual methods of preparation.

Also, suggestions for high-protein snacks for hungry kids after school who don't like nuts or cheese? Your favorite smoothies? A homemade granola? Help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Recipes!

Jen - if you want lots of chicken recipes that are fast I recommend Rachel Ray's 365 No Repeats.  I've found quite a few things my family likes in there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Does anyone have a good granola recipe that is not too sweet?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Easiest chicken dinner: cube skinless boneless chicken, pour a jar of salsa over it (I use the more saucy ones, like tostitos brand or pace), mix thoroughly.  Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.  If you want, add some grated cheddar in the last 5 minutes.  I usually serve it with sauteed zucchini, peppers and onions and brown rice. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A 10 minute chicken dish I've done is a little messy to prepare, but it's fast and tastes great.   Gently score the fattest part of the chicken breasts against the grain with a steak knife and place on a sheet of plastic wrap that's been liberally sprayed with cooking oil (I like TJs spray can of canola oil), spray the top of the chicken, and fold the plastic over.  Pound until about 1/3" thick with a meat mallet.  Meanwhile, let a grill pan brushed/sprayed with canola oil get hot.  Season chicken with salt and pepper, cook 2 minutes on each side.  Last time, I just smeared some Trader Joe's pesto on it, and, voila, done.  Trader Joe's has delicious frozen vegetable mixes with a mild garlic sauce that heats thoroughly in 10 minutes on the stove and takes little more intervention than a quick stir throughout.  Last time I ate those (not with the pesto chicken) I added about a tsp of curry powder, and I wish I'd added something with a little heat, too, but it was good without it.

You could egg and then toss in breadcrumbs, too, and either fry in canola or bake.  It definitely wouldn't add more than 20 minutes to the 10 above.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and luv's post reminded me, that any time I'm in an extreme hurry to throw something on the table, I chop up the chicken breasts into about 1 inch pieces and saute (cover off) and steam (cover on) them in butter, salt, and pepper.  They cook in under 10 minutes and can be added to anything.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Take a pound of chicken tenders, salt and pepper them and saute them in a large skillet with some oil and/or butter. Remove.
    Add some chopped onion and sliced mushrooms. Saute. Sprinkle on about 1T flour and cook a minute more. Add 1 cup chicken broth (or 3/4 broth and 1/4 cream). bring to a boil and let thicken slightly. Return the chicken to the pan.
    Serve with rice or noodles.
    I made this in 22 minutes from start to finish the other day and it's delicious.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Jen - how about some ham slices rolled up with a little cream cheese? Or plain if they don't even like cream cheese.
    Or some proscuitto wrapped around a breadstick? I used to love stuff like that when I was a kid.
    I hate granola so probably won't be trying any with my kids. :)
    And I buy the Stoneyfield smoothies at the grocery store.  I suppose you could add a little protein powder for a great afternoon snack.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just posted a quinoa/black bean chili recipe up in CC Recipes that's under 30 minutes.  You can make it as mild as you want for LOs sensitive tongues. :)  But, if you're counting calories, you can have a whole big bowl (1 1/2 cups) for 250 calories.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerbride09. Show summerbride09's posts

I know you said you want chicken as a protein, but tacos and fajitas are pretty versatile and don't require much cooking. I love fish tacos, using either fresh tilapia or even fish sticks when I'm extra lazy. Serve with tortillas, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cheese, salsa, rice, etc. Lots of ways to mix it up. As a side dish DH and I love a black bean salad with tomato, red onion, avocado, olive oil & lime juice.

And of course one can never go wrong with the crockpot...my new fave is chicken wings in the crockpot that I finish off at high temp in the oven to crisp them up a bit. You can use a variety of marinades and/or dipping sauces.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Summer, I just tried a super quick alternative to fussing at all with black bean salad by stirring together equal parts black beans and chunky salsa.  Not that yours is very time consuming, just offering a 30 second alternative fwiw!  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Easiest with chicken tenders but can be done with chopped up chicken breast as well...

Mix 1/4c olive oil with 2tsp minced garlic and 2Tbsp of dijon mustard in one bowl.  (I never actually measure, but mix to an oily paste)  Bread crumbs in a second bowl.

Coat chicken with mustard/oil mix, bread, and place in a baking dish.  Bake at 35-400 for 20-30 mins.  I think the recipe calls for 350, but I usually speed it up by baking at 400.  I also spread a little mustard directly on the breaded chicken for a little extra zing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Tandoori style chicken--If you've got an Indian/Middle Eastern market you may be able to find the spice paste ready made.   If not, about a tablespoon each of mashed or minced garlic and ginger, a teaspoon each of ground coriander, cumin, and paprika.  Mix either your spice paste, or about 2-3 tbsp of the jar paste, with plain yogurt and marinate chicken--I use boneless thighs--put in one layer on a cookie sheet or baking pan and broil.  It's supposed to get a bit crispy but if you don't like crispy then you can just bake.

It's aromatic-spicy without being super spicy or hot--a good way to introduce some new flavors.  It's good with rice of course but also works with potatoes or even as a new take on a hot chicken sandwich on a bun.

We also do fajita style chicken tacos--mix up chicken chunks, onion, peppers, spice with cumin, paprika, mild chile if people like it, and a dash of lime juice .  You can saute on the stove, broil, or bake.

As for protein snacks, do they like hard boiled eggs?  Also try Greek yogurt--the fruit ones are a little sweet, but not super sugary, and they've got more protein than the regular yogurt.  Or buy plain and mix with a bit of your own fruit.  Also try the yogurt drinks labeled "kefir" type if you can find them, also mildly fruity but not as sugary as the "yogurt smoothie" or kids' yogurt cups.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Thanks, everyone! These are great ideas. I wish I could get my kids to eat Greek yogurt, but the texture is off-putting for them (not me, though!). I'm going to have to try some of these chicken recipes this week.....

Feel free to add to this thread with anything you've had success with! (I mean, not specifically related to my questions, though more tips for me is great! Laughing ) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

I make lemon chicken a lot.
    Cut chicken breasts into strips. Coat them in egg and bread crumbs. Toss them in a frying pan with oil. When they are cooked, place them in a baking dish and squeeze lemon all over them. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. Easy easy and so yummy.
    Great idea for a thread!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Curry chicken...get a jar of yellow curry (we like the trader joes one), cube chicken, sweet potato, onion, green peppers. Cook chix and veggies until browned. cover with curry sauce. simmer for 15ish min (if you cut the S.P. small enough they cook quickly-think bite size). Cook rice on side serve together. Yum!

More prep time: cut chicken breast to chix finger size, dredge in flour (I sometimes use corn flour) egg, then bread crumbs with crushed almonds/pecans any nut you have. put in pan with some oil and cook and yum!

Sections
Shortcuts