Recommended items for orphans age 1-14?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Recommended items for orphans age 1-14?

In a few weeks, I'll be travelling to Haiti, and visiting an orphanage.  There are 65 children, age 1-14.  I'd like to bring some items for the children, both practical and fun.  I only have young children myself, so I'm looking to other parents for recommendations (especially for the older kids), keeping in mind a few things

- The age of the children (1-14)

- The items will have to be pack-able

- No battery or electric items

- Items have to be durable

- Items that help teach english a plus 

Some things I have in mind are balls, flash cards, balloons, crayons, beads & string, etc.  I'd appreciate any other ideas.  Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Recommended items for orphans age 1-14?

In my missions experience, the people who generally know best about things like this are those you are interfacing with at the place you're visiting.  Are the guidelines above all they gave you?  Are you in contact with anyone regularly over there you could ask?  Can the older kids read English?

best wishes!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jttruong76. Show jttruong76's posts

Re: Recommended items for orphans age 1-14?

I visited an orphanage in Jamaica a couple of years ago and high demand items for older children were pretty basic things like socks and underwear. I imagine comic books might be good for the older kids too because they have pictures and some basic English that would be fun.

In response to Micromom's comment:

In a few weeks, I'll be travelling to Haiti, and visiting an orphanage.  There are 65 children, age 1-14.  I'd like to bring some items for the children, both practical and fun.  I only have young children myself, so I'm looking to other parents for recommendations (especially for the older kids), keeping in mind a few things

- The age of the children (1-14)

- The items will have to be pack-able

- No battery or electric items

- Items have to be durable

- Items that help teach english a plus 

Some things I have in mind are balls, flash cards, balloons, crayons, beads & string, etc.  I'd appreciate any other ideas.  Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts