Relocating and Pre-kindergarten

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slb62481. Show slb62481's posts

Relocating and Pre-kindergarten

My husband is going to be doing his surgical fellowship at Mass General so we will be relocating to Boston in July. I will have a 4 year old son and a 6 month old daughter at the time of the move. I have been looking into Boston Public School Pre-kindergarten (K1) programs for my son and would love any advice on good/reputable schools. We are interested in living in the South End neighborhood but are open to recommendations based on the schools. I appreciate any guidance you could give me as I am not familiar with the city.

Many thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Re: Relocating and Pre-kindergarten

You should also contact the Boston public school system and find out what the cut-off birthday dates are to go to K1, and to find out what the lottery process is, and when you can participate. That is, if you aren't a resident in the spring, can you still enter the lottery with everyone else?  if not, then you'd have to wait until July when you are officially a Boston resident and the you'd have far fewer choices in schools, because some schools won't have space then.  Honestly, the Boston public schools aren't great, the few that are good are hard to get into becuase everyone enters them in the lottery.

Now, I may be outdated and there isn't a lottery (I lived there quite some time ago, and in the South End) but you should most definitely spend the time it takes now to know the system. 

You could also live in a suburb outside of Boston that is easily accessible to Boston (esp. via the train that goes right to North Station, which is an easy walk to Mass General, and there is a subway stop at Mass General, too) and would have better schools.  I'm thinking Arlington, possibly Cambridge.

The South End of Boston is wonderful, I lived there (as a single woman) for about 5 years and loved it, and there is a community of families who do live there. Don't know how to tap into their expertise, though, if they don't use this message board (and I think this is mostly suburban parents - I think)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

slb, wow, a fellowship at MGH!  Kudos to your DH.  And, what a handful for you, too, the heroine of the family!

Can't answer your question, exactly, but the school systems in Boston are better than many areas of the country.  It's not as hard to happen upon a good one as it could be somewhere else.  Don't want to mention anything as an example - I'm not sure where you're coming from!  LOL!  ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slb62481. Show slb62481's posts

Thank you for your advice (and kind words). We are very exciting to be moving to Boston and I know I will love it. We are moving from Pittsburgh - some schools good, some schools bad. And we were in Philly before that where the inner city public schools are not somewhere I would be able to send my 4 year old. I will probably end up keeping him in a private daycare for a year but I was hoping there was a way to save some money (I'm having sticker shock looking at tuition/apartments/etc. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Oh, yes, the sticker shock will kill you!  Also look into the private nursery schools - there are some good ones in the city.  But they would most likely be part time, not full time.  AND you'll have to deal with the difficulty of getting in, with long waitlists, etc.  Seriously, you may find a 1 year waitlist even for a childcare center in Boston....  although perhaps not for a 5 yr old. For the baby, most definitely yes!  Do you need FT care for both or are you home and just need school for him?  Google and find all the centers/nursery schools in Boston and contact each - the nursery schools will have applications due in Jan/Feb-ish and then will tell you whether you got in around April/May (for Sept. enrollment)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I would not send my kid to Boston Public Schools.

Are you going to be renting?  Look into Brookline instead.  It's RIGHT over the line from Boston and their schools are all first-rate!  Still has a city vibe. 

CT.DC - Hey, girlfriend....miss you very much!  can you send me an email at capecod38@gmail.com...I lost your email address when I switched computers!!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Sorry, Cos, but as a Boston city resident, there ARE some great elementary schools. I don't think it's fair to rule them out summarily. Things have changed over the years and personally I have confidence in the relatively new superintendent.

That said, to the OP, the schools are based on a lottery system and there's no guarantee you'll get into the one you want and you can be assigned to a school outside your neighborhood. (I had good friends go through the kindergarten lottery this past year and they got their fifth choice. That school wasn't a good fit for their son and he's now at a private school.) If it would be acceptable to you, there are also a number of great parochial schools in Boston, offering a good education at a very reasonable price. For instance, the catholic school around the corner for me costs less than $5000/year. I teach at one of the "elite" private schools in the area and we have had a number of students come into our school from Boston parochial schools.

Good luck.

ETA: The lottery takes place in March and you need to have registered in advance of that, obviously. So, it's good to start looking into the process now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello slb, welcome to Boston! I know you will love it here. I don' t know anything about Pittsburgh, but my son recently took a post doc job at Carnegie Mellon and we will go for a visit in a few weeks. He misses Boston.
    Are there any specific reason you want to stay on the South Shore? If not, I think you are limiting yourself quite a bit. We live on the North Shore and have some great schools up here plus plenty of daycare. Centers, private or otherwise. I would not send my child to a school in Boston - mostly due to the lottery. I am sure there must be some excellent schools in Boston as well, but I do want to have a say in where my child goes to school.
    I used to work at Mass. General (and later at MIT) and had no problem using public transportation getting back and forth to work from my "outpost".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Philly is a rougher town than Boston.  Not that Boston doesn't have bad areas, but you know what I mean; some "bad" is worse than others.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

In Response to Re: Relocating and Pre-kindergarten:
    [QUOTE]Hello slb, welcome to Boston! I know you will love it here. I don' t know anything about Pittsburgh, but my son recently took a post doc job at Carnegie Mellon and we will go for a visit in a few weeks. He misses Boston. Are there any specific reason you want to stay on the South Shore? If not, I think you are limiting yourself quite a bit. We live on the North Shore and have some great schools up here plus plenty of daycare. Centers, private or otherwise. I would not send my child to a school in Boston - mostly due to the lottery. I am sure there must be some excellent schools in Boston as well, but I do want to have a say in where my child goes to school. I used to work at Mass. General (and later at MIT) and had no problem using public transportation getting back and forth to work from my "outpost".
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Pingo when you go you must go to Eat 'n Park.  The food is decent, not high end fair at all, kind of like Friendlys.  But their pies (and smiley face cookies) are the best.  I always make sure when I am home I go for a slice of pie...or a cookie, or a honey drenched bun.  I am making myself hungry just thinking about them.  OMG I just checked out their web site and I can have the cookies (no pies) shipped.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wendy, thanks for the tip. Since our son is new in PB, I am sure he will like to add that place to his list. We will definitely go there and I will let you know, how our visit went. Wish I could bring a slice of pie back to you - P