Should kids get condoms at school?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Should kids get condoms at school?

Children as young as 12 will be able to get condoms at school in Springfield beginning this fall when condoms will become available at the middle and high schools.

Story:
    http://www.boston.com/community/moms/articles/2012/04/06/springfield_approves_school_condom_policy/

What are your thoughts on this?
    Is it sending a mixed message when we tell kids not to have sex, but then give them condoms at school?

Dr. Claire McCarthy discusses this in her blog:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/mdmama/2012/04/is_it_a_mixed_message_when_we_give_condoms_out_in_schools.html

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Should kids get condoms at school?

In Response to Re: Should kids get condoms at school?:
    [QUOTE]How nice.  Start the welfare entitlements and baby-mommys off early.  Why not start this for 5 year olds?
    Posted by GonnaNeedYour401k[/QUOTE]

Actually, condoms prevent pregnancy. 

Its the abstinence only programs that wingnuts push that result in pregnancies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HAMMERSTUD9. Show HAMMERSTUD9's posts

Absolutely.  We should stop pretending that kids aren't having sex and that we can stop them from doing so but instead educate them on doing so safely and without lasting consequences such as pregnancy and STDs and I think free condoms is a great way to do this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 40something. Show 40something's posts

Yes.  Let's keep the little darlings and their babies off our welfare roles. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BD1958. Show BD1958's posts

Yes, yes, yes.  All of the studies and the science shows that the more information you give kids about sex, the more likely they are to delay having sex and when they do have sex, the more likely they are to use protection.   So many lives are short-circuited by teen pregnancy.  We should be doing absolutely everything we can to make sure that a young person's mistake does not forever rob her or him of a future. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

12?!!! Come on, this is Springfield. I'm not against it, but age and parental notification are issues. Also, if you don't have kids, just shut up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from falline. Show falline's posts

In response to "Re: Should kids get condoms at school?": [QUOTE]12?!!! Come on, this is Springfield. I'm not against it, but age and parental notification are issues. Also, if you don't have kids, just shut up. Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE] My aren't we superior... Did you receive your entitlement of know it all when you child was born? Tell you what. I will shut up when I don't have to contribute my tax dollars to support you and your rugrat!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

I suppose teaching kids morality is just a little bit to much to ask for these days....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wonderful, another post to lure all of the meaningless political blah blah blahs over here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scrutinyforyou. Show Scrutinyforyou's posts

Condoms only prevent pregnancy when they are used. Teens won't use them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

[QUOTE]Wonderful, another post to lure all of the meaningless political blah blah blahs over here.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Seriously, we have quite an active board of parents. We don't need these "conversation  starters" (which is a term I use very loosely since there's never any real conversation, just a lot of inflammatory nonsense.) My guess--it's a way to generate hits which then impacts advertising $$. Grrr.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

On a serious note, one of the best ways of preventing teen pregnancy is to bolster self-esteem (especially for girls) through activities such as sports, chorus, drama, debate, Model UN, etc. Kids who are involved in things are too busy for sex and feel better about themselves and have an easier time saying "no" when they want to. But, look at all the budget cuts for any kind of extracurricular activities. Really sad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

[QUOTE]Wonderful, another post to lure all of the meaningless political blah blah blahs over here.
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]

Seriously.  These BDC-started threads are probably the main reason I rarely post here anymore. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cujo. Show Cujo's posts

Little Timmy: Whose morality? What is the standard. No parent of a teenager wants to admit that their kid may be having sex. But burying your head in the sand is not the answer. My wife and I put our daughter on birth control at age 16, we were clear to her that we were not giving her the ok to become active. We also made it clear that condoms prevent STD's. She is now 25. We survived the teenage years. No STD's and no unwanted pregnancy. It was not terribly comfortable for us but I like the outcome.

Stop worrying about morality and focus on reality.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cujo. Show Cujo's posts

Kiwigal: sorry to intrude on YOUR blog.   what's up with the sense of ownership?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Registeredindependent. Show Registeredindependent's posts

It makes me sad that kids as young as 12 have to be exposed to this in today's society.