Shower gift?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Shower gift?

I have received an invitation to a shower, from the mom of the mommy to be.  It says to please bring a book for the babies library, but details are also provided about where they are registered.

Can someone please clarify if this means that I am supposed to bring both a book and a gift from the registry?

TIA!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Shower gift?

Huh.  Interesting.  I'd assume she means (rudely enough) to bring a book and a "real" gift with it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Bring this one:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL, Lemon!  Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

$15 - 20 for a baby's first book?!  Yikes, she's even more rude than I thought.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Thanks all!
    Now let me just go and refinance my mortgage to pay for all these baby and wedding related activities that I have coming up over the coming months!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

$15 - 20 for a baby's first book?!  Yikes, she's even more rude than I thought.

My thoughts too Kar... here I was thinking something from the sale table at Brookline Booksmith!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Go for it - hopefully, you can find something for a reasonable $5 there.  GL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Borders has simple lift-the-flap or word-and-photo (the kind that just have "Ball" on a page with a photo of a ball) books for around $3.99, and you can get a coupon for 30% off by signing up on their Rewards thingy.

When we had our shower, we did request (through the woman who threw it) used children's books for any age on any subject because they're so expensive to buy new and we didn't want to fret about our daughter gnawing on $10 worth of merchandise. But we didn't say it like a gift+1 thing. At least I hope we didn't. It seems so long ago now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

You can get a decent, small board book from TJ Maxx for $5.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

Second the notion for TJ Maxx/Marshalls for books... I've paid literally half or less for the same books there than at B&N or Borders, even with a coupon

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bean78. Show bean78's posts

that is the newest trend....a cutesy poem askign for a  book on top of the registry item. I just got an invite for a shower to a girl from college that i havent seen in or really heard from (except to ask for my new address) in about oh, 7 or 8 years minimum. There was the poem asking for a book for the baby's library in lieu of a card.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

For my SIL's shower people were asked to bring a book instead of a card.  Board books are often similarly priced to a Hallmark card.  Job lot is a great place for inexpensive books.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I've seen this quite a bit, honestly.  The "bring a book" or its cousin, "bring a package of diapers." 

I get invited to a LOT of showers, and I am (surprising, I know) super-budgeted and kind of rigid when it comes to my gift-giving.  I'm not admitting to anything, but I may sit down in January and do an annual budget wherein I map out Christmas, birthdays, weddings-we-know about, babies-we-suspect, and other manner of gift occasions.  (we have big families and DH would write enormous checks if I didn't get between him and a pen). 

I allot $50 for shower gifts, including gift wrap.  If you want me to bring a book or diapers or a recipe (I don't charge for the index card; I'm not the IRS), that's cool, but if I have to buy it, it comes out of the $50. 

But, yes, this inclusion on a shower invite means you are being asked to contribute to Baby's library, as well as bring your own shower gift. 

I happen to have eight copies of Do You Know How Much I Love You? (handed down from a cousin who perhaps HAD one of these showers?) and I will happily give you one.  OK, maybe not the one with the teeth-marks. 

IPW, if you spend $20 on a baby book, I'll have to find you in reality and give you an icy glare!  I'll bring the box o'books to the pediatrician open house and you can have a few freebies.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MissWolff. Show MissWolff's posts

Hmm yes, this must be the new thing. I also got the poem for 'in lieu of a card' bring a book.

Interesting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We have a bunch of copies of Do You Know as well, and I hate them all. It's not a heartwarming story of a parent and child expressing unlimited love for each other, it's a cruel tale of a parent's desperate need to one-up his child by constantly reminding the child that he can never, ever measure up or hope to compete in any way. Even after the poor kid goes to sleep the parent is still going at it.

GC -- do you include the cost of shipping in the gift total?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I haven't read this one yet, but that sounds right up my mom's alley.  I am amazed this isn't in my own personal collection. 

Although I sense you may be mocking me, yes, I do factor in shipping.  But I do try to get free shipping as much as possible.  I'm not heartless.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Nicer hardcover classics CAN be that expensive, so no worries.  I just wouldn't bring that as my gimme-gimme gift.  :) 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I have to admit I've had a hard time finding cards of any style for less than $5.  So, if it's in lieu of a card maybe I can back off my original horrorified response.  I'd rather give them a book than a card for the same price, and unless otherwise instructed I feel compelled to waste money on a card.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Lemon, I really did LOL, that was clever.  haha  

A friend of a friend just did this for a shower and on the invite it said instead of a card please bring a children's book. I would think you would still add a card so they know who the gift was from... I always go to tj/marshalls for kids books, oh and Building 19 is great too. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could inscribe the book instead of also having a card.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

ahhh right, i'm slow. :) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No kidding!  I picked up a tiny little, no frills card for a friend's first Father's Day, and it was $5.50!  I put it back and called him for free. :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

THANK YOU LEMON!  We got that book from the (gasp!) public library a while back and I read it to the kids w/o having read it first.  I said to DH as soon as I was done "what an awful book."  His response was "yeah, it seemed like the father kept one-upping the kid."  That DH "got" that without me having to explain it, says a lot.  He's a smart guy and all, but not usually that "critical" when reading kids books.  At any rate, we never read it to them again and returned it pretty soon after that.

For those of you who haven't read it, here's a summary:
    Baby:  I love you
    Father:  Not as much as I love you
    Baby:  No, Dad, really, I love you
    Father:  Seriously kid, your expression of your love isn't good enough and you can never love me more than I love you.

I think the author MEANT for it to be really sweet and heartwarming, but in order for that to happen, the baby would've had to have the last word and the father would have had to say something to validate the baby's love rather than one-up him one last time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That sounds absolutely terrible.  Clearly, well-intentioned, but where was the EDITOR on that one?  Goodness gracious.