Sleep tips?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Sleep tips?

I yearn for chickens. We had them growing up, and one of my first pets was a chicken named Membrane. Chickens are terrible pets. They're stupid and aggressive and disloyal and not at all affectionate. They stink. But they are also beautiful and make pleasing clucking sounds and they eat snails. They eat everything. I didn't find chicken care all that time-consuming. Or, if it was, I found it more or less pleasurable (except mucking out the coop -- that was gross). Fresh eggs are amazing. Really, really amazing. But I can't have them -- they're not allowed in Boston. And the one thing that I did find challenging was keeping predators away from them. It's really easy to kill a chicken, and everyone wants to do it because they are delicious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If you want a useful pet and you have some space, get a goat. I'm not kidding -- goats are really great. They're smart, smarter than dogs, and very affectionate. They eat trash and trim your yard. They can haul small loads and you can milk them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I like the transformation of this thread, however I'm going to bring it back around. :)

Kristi - this sounds so difficult!  The fact that she quiets right down is obviously a telling sign.  I guess she just wants company!  My DD is not 2 yet and has never done what you're describing so I don't have advice specific to your situation, but I thought there was some good advice here if you weed through everything.  I hope you find a solution that works!

I did want to make one additional comment:

In Response to Re: Sleep tips?:

I also think it sets a bad example that if mommy or daddy don't respond when toddler needs them - what sort of message is that?  That I can't be trusted to take care of their needs? That if they wake up scared or sick in the middle of the night I won't come to them? Sometimes what they need is to simply know you are there and they are safe.
    Posted by misslily

This is what I believe, especially as DD gets older and more aware (she is almost 16 months).  You can never be entirely sure as to why your child is waking up in the middle of the night.  Recently, DD went through a phase where she woke around 2am SCREAMING.  We currently share a room, so this is pretty much impossible to ignore, but I don't think at this age I could have ignored it.  It went on for about a week, and each time I'd hold her and rock her, sometimes it took almost an hour to get her back to sleep.  I wondered if I was doing the right thing.  Then, it abruptly stopped and now she's sleeping through the night again.  I have no idea if she was in pain, having bad dreams, or waking for some other reason, but she was upset and needed me, and the whole time I felt like I shouldn't be doing it.  Now that it ended, I feel I did the right thing.

Every situation, every child, every parent is different and there is not one "right" way to handle things.  When this same DD was about 5-6 months old (I can't remember exactly) we did do a sort of Ferber method which did involve letting her cry for a little.  It worked.  But I don't think I'd do the same thing now that she's older, as I said.

Daisy - Thnk you for your post, I will be investing in a Good Nite Lite!  Can I program it for 8am???  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kiwiguy. Show Kiwiguy's posts

Regarding the chickens:

As I think someone else mentioned above, chickens are banned in Boston. I'm not sure if you live in Boston or not, but if you do you are completely out of luck. This issuye came up last summer after a Roslindale resident was cited for keeping hens in their backyard. I believe all appeals were denied.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-07-11/yourtown/29761987_1_backyard-chickens-appeal-board-zoning

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It's true -- Yolanda is in exile. Join the cause!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Legalize-Chickens-in-Boston

http://legalizechickensinboston.org/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    I agree that she is too old for CIO. And I forgot to mention another reason we go in there is to stop her from waking up her brother next door. We don't want him exhausted the next day like us.
    I will look into the Good Nite lite.
    We started reasoning with her the past few nights and it seems to maybe be working a bit. Daisy, I will take some of your suggestions as we keep trying this method. Thanks. She fussed a bit last night but not as much.
    It makes me feel better that I'm not alone (even though I am not happy that many of you are dealing with this too). Sounds like a phase that happens at this age. I hope it's short lived.
    Thanks to everyone who wished me luck figuring this out. I appreciate it.

Chickens? Now that's something I didn't expect to enter the conversation. lol.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Poppy--you can program it for whatever time you want, BUT it doesn't mean that your kid is going to sleep that late. :)  You can enforce it, however, by NOT going in/NOT responding until it's time for the light to change.  If your child usually wakes at 5:30, setting it for 8 might be a problem.  If your child wakes at 5:30, you could set it for 6, so she could reasonably learn to entertain herself for ~1/2 hr.  Eventually, she may even sleep that late.  Now that my kids are big enough to get out of their cribs on their own, I have very little say in the matter, but they do respect the light.  If one of them wakes up before the light changes, s/he will not wake the other one up until the light changes, BUT as soon as that light changes, it's "[Sister/Brother] the sun is out! The sun is out!  WAKE UP!  THE SUN IS OUT!"  Followed by a couple of thuds as they liberate themselves from their cribs and run into our room to make sure we know "THE SUN IS OUT!  THE SUN IS OUT!"  Sigh.  It does work, though.  And they have no idea that it doesn't come on until about 1/2 hour later on the weekends than it does during the week (as long as we remember to change it).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

BDCKristi-We go through the same thing every now and then with our 3.5 y.o. (sleep disturbances) although it usually relates to getting her to go to sleep.  On the days when she naps well at school she fights going to bed when I want her to. Seriously, what's wrong with going to bed at 6:00 p.m.?  :-)  I just hope that your phase is short-lived (at least this phase).  

The sticker chart seems to really work well for us for changing behaviors.  We just went through an accident phase even though she's been potty trained for over a year.  The sticker chart worked wonders.  I feel like the sticker chart is my new answer to everything.  I'm going to try it here at work.  Meet deadlines?  Sticker chart!  Don't eat my lunch out of the fridge because it's not yours?  Sticker chart!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

I feel like the sticker chart is my new answer to everything.  I'm going to try it here at work.  Meet deadlines?  Sticker chart!  Don't eat my lunch out of the fridge because it's not yours?  Sticker chart!
    Posted by Lostgrouse

Ah ha ha ha.  I like this plan!

Our LO is only 18 months, but I do feel like the talking is starting to be more effective when she wakes up at night.  Like last night she woke up at 10 and was sitting up in her crib just *screaming* crying.  I gave her a drink of water and held her for a few minutes and then said it was time to go to bed and to sleep tight.  And that was okay with her.  It's not always that easy, but I do think as she moves to this new toddler life, a few brief words help reassure her.
    She always seems to drink a lot of water when she wakes up.  I'm not sure if that is weird or not, but I am the same way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Medford--we actually let the kids have sippy cups with water to keep in their cribs to drink when/if they're thirsty.  I know there are some people who think this is a bad idea for various reasons, but I think one of the worst things is to wake up with a dry mouth or scratchy throat and not be able to do anything about it.  The kids have a humidifier in their room in the winter, but it only does so much.  There have been nights where I've heard one of the kids coughing and then can hear them gulping from the sippy cup.  I'm glad they're able to take care of that situation by themselves, not having to even fully wake up, and go back to sleep quickly.  The alternative of DH or I getting up to get them the water is just a disruption I'd rather not deal with.  We haven't had any negative consequences yet, but they're still wearing diapers or pull-ups to bed, so we're not worried about bedwetting at this point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Also, pets are not meant to be "useful". That's why the are pets.  Useful animals are farm animals - there is a difference. If you aren't animal people, I would recommend starting w/ fish.  I'm not trying to be mean; I'm just being honest. There is nothing wrong w/ not having pets, but a pet and a farm animal or work animal is not hte same and should not be treated the same.  My FIL and great uncle [of the great aunt w/ the chickens] had hunting dogs and they are not treated like a family pet b/c they are not a pet; they are a working animal and need to be treated as such to be effective at that job. 
    Posted by ALF72

Oh, I know.  I don't ever want a pet.  Neither does DH.  We're not pet people.  We agreed before we got married we'd never have pets and if one of us ever started to cave to future children on pet requests the other would buoy our resistance.  I'm ok with the idea of living with an animal if it is sort of useful.  I'm also attempting to convey the hairbrainedness of the chicken idea (we can buy a dozen eggs easily at the store haha) to him.  He thinks it will be a fun project.  To me, it sounds like a fun retirement project--decades from now! 

I know it's weird (especially for so many people who love their pets) but seriously--no pets in my future! haha. 

Also, fish are gross and die at the drop of a hat.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't ever want a pet.  Neither does DH.  We're not pet people. 
    Posted by lissafro

That's unfortunate, because I just shipped you a goat via Amazon prime

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

AND my sister shipped you 5 chickens!  she LOVES her chickens - lives in Reading (or North Reading, I forget which, sorry) and had to go through some hoops, having neighbors say it was ok, but she LOVES her 'girls'.

I have never noticed that they smell. They have a coop that is completely, 200% enclosed, including a roof.  The chicken wire is dug into the ground about 12 inches or perhaps even more because coyotes and raccoons and skunks will dig under to get into the coop.  Coyotes and coons will kill a chicken.  You have to be home to put them back to bed, into their little house.  Yes, that means every freakin' night.  Without fail.  Or get the babysitter (!) to do it.  Or your 10 yr old daughter, before she goes to bed (she, too LOVES the chickens).

I am so scared of anything that flutters, flaps, flies or slithers (this includes mice, hamsters, FISH (yes, fish) in a tank and other little caged creatures) that I become nearly hysterical upon entering the coop because the girls INSIST on walking, clucking and then..... flying and fluttering!!!  totally embarrassing, but I run screaming out of said coop.  So while I would LOVE fresh eggs, I can't have chickens because of the  aforementioned being a chicken.

You can order only females but sometimes they'll 'slip' a rooster in.... when you get them they are just itsy bitsy yellow fluffy things which are SO CUTE.  But then you have a freakin' rooster and you have to deal with this.  (As in, it has to be taken somewhere to be killed, because you aren't supposed to have a rooster AND they do crow once they get to be nearly full grown.)

Oh, also neighborhood dogs LOVE chickens, and will try their darndest to get into your yard to chase or kill your chickens....  my sister had this happening with her neighbor's dog.

Also she's had a coon or coyote kill several chickens - went out in the AM and the coop hadn't been properly latched (although she was SURE she had) and all 8 chickens were dead.  Some were eaten, others just there, dead.  Saddest thing in the world.... 

but then she got more, she loves chickens so much!

My sister is certifiable, though - 2 kids, a huge farmhouse with a leaky roof, 4 cats, 2 hamsters, 2 guinea pigs until they died of old age, and 8 (outdoor of course) chickens.  Had an indoor bird, too for 11/2 years.  I'm constantly surprised she doesn't have rabbits, either in an outdoor hutch or house rabbits.  She has so far resisted the lure of the dog - dunno how she has.  Also doesn't have an iguana but I'm waiting for that, too. At one point she had TWO fish tanks - why two?  Because they had goldfish and then also tropical fish.  Crazy, that's my sister!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Lissa - I have a friend who used to tell her children, "When you are grown up and living in your own house, then you can have a dog."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

The people that live behind us have chickens and the smell is AWFUL.  It's bad enough that I can't spend time out on my deck because I can't handle the smell. It's of course worse in the summer due to the heat.  I'm just glad I didn't have my Super Pregnancy Nose this summer because I think I would have needed to move.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We use dried and minimally processed "Cockadoodle-DOO" fertilizer on our garden.  The smell is indescribably awful so I can just imagine how bad a coop would smell were it to not be impeccably (or impeckably?) taken care of every day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

My idea of a pet is a fish.  Or maybe a goldfish cracker.

Daisy - I have been thinking about that.  What kind of cups do you use?  Do they put them right side up or no?  I'm worried that the water will wick from the cup into the whole sheet.  Our LO is very good about putting her cup down right side up during the day, but I'm not sure if she would always do it during the night.

Plus she has a newfound love of putting things away.  Like she can't just put the cup/toy/whatever down when she's done with it, she wants to put it back where it goes, which often involves me picking her up to reach.  In general, I want to encourage this.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I think that I am going to make an invention for this age range. A kind of rack that hangs on the outside of the crib. kids will be able to reach over the side and get things. it can hold a book or two, a cup, spare bink, and a flashlight (we have a dinosaur one, complete with sound effects). entertainment at its best. because my kid is so big, he can literally stretch and hit all of the sides of the crib, there is no place for this stuff in the crib... and sometimes because of that, he knocks stuff out (binks) which becomes a disaster. hence the immediate screaming when he wakes up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, that's a great idea!  Maybe take it down - too many lurkers, it's not safe out there without a patent.  Honestly!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Medford--we actually use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-First-Sipster-Spill-Proof-Colors/dp/B0009EXN10/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1329408253&sr=1-4

We've never had a problem with them leaking.  The cups rarely stay right-side-up all night.  The kids bump into them in their sleep (and my kids are "spinners" at night--they're all over the place in their cribs), etc. so even if they put them down the right way, they're unlikely to stay that way. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Thanks, Daisy.  (Our LO is a spinner, too.)
    We have some of the playtex ones so maybe we'll give it a whirl!  What's the worst that could happen??  (ah ha.  ha ha!)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Lissa - I have a friend who used to tell her children, "When you are grown up and living in your own house, then you can have a dog."
    Posted by misslily

No word of a lie, I told my DD that verbatim last week when she asked if we could get a puppy for her 3rd birthday. 
    I then followed it up with a reassuring "Don't worry, Grandmum and Grandpa will get a new dog as soon as they aren't as sad about Maggie dying." 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

What's the worst that could happen??  (ah ha.  ha ha!)
    Posted by medfordcc

Well - I used to leave the cups with the twins in bed until one night when my DH said, "What's that noise?" I go in and DD had unscrewed the top and was chewing on the valve. Perfect choking hazard size. I have no idea how she got the top off. I can barely do them myself sometimes, but there you have it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Just wanted to add that the last two pages of this thread (which I just read start to finish) have really made me smile this morning.  And there is someone in our neighborhood, at least 150-200 yards away from our house, that has a rooster.  I thought they just crowed at sunrise. Oh no... pretty much 24/7.  I can't even imagine being the house right next to them if I can hear it so far away.

Since this post has already taken several major turns... I feel ok asking this.  Now that we're talking sippys... is there any difference in oral health between using soft spouts or hard spouts?  I must admit, all the talk from pedis about getting off bottles and I find the soft spouted sippys are really not that much different.  DS likes the straws but really prefers the ones you need to tilt up.  Seems just like a bottle to me. (if you couldn't figure it out, I'm still doing morning and evening bottle and thinking I probably need to stop).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

misslily - thanks.  It had never even occurred to me that she could possibly get the lid off.  As you said, I can barely get them off!

IPW - I felt the same way about the soft spout sippys.  They just seemed like slightly different shaped bottle tops.  Anyway, I have absolutely no idea, but what I have heard is that it's good for their oral development to be able to drink in different ways, but I've never heard that there is a right and a wrong way that has to be used 100% of the time.  FWIW, our LO loves the harder sippy cups, like the take and toss.  She bites them against her teething spots, I think.

Sections
Shortcuts