sleeping techniques

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

sleeping techniques

We had the same problem with our daughter for a while.  I don't know what you've tried, and this might not work for you, but here's what we did.  I had a much harder time getting her fall asleep for her nap than for bedtime, probably because we started a bedtime routine very early on.  We bring her into the bedroom and I nurse her while DH reads to her (with only the lamp on the night table on).  The book usually ends before she's finished nursing, so then we turn on the radio tuned to soft rock, which for some reason soothes her and turn off the light.  After she's finished nursing, I burp her and put her down.  Sometimes, she's already asleep, sometimes she's awake.  She generally goes right to sleep after we do this routine.  Sometimes she wakes up 10 minutes later and cries, and in those cases, we leave her in there for 5 minutes, then go to her and rub her belly, kiss her and let her know we're still here, but don't pick her up.  We've never had to do this more than once because she always falls right to sleep aftewards and stays that way for at least 6 hours.  If your son cries after you've gone in to him, go in again after another 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes, etc.  Hopefully, he'll fall asleep faster than that.  We have only a couple times gotten to the 10 minute mark (one of them was last week when we were struggling with the bottle feeding...).  For nap time, I also tried to give her a routine.  When I noticed her getting sleepy, I'd put on some soft music and just hold her for a few minutes before putting her down.  She would then hang out in her pack n play or crib for a little while talking to herself and eventually fall asleep.  But I imagine if your son cries, you can do the same technique as at night --- go to him after 5 minutes, but don't pick him up.  Then 10, then 15, etc.  My daughter still doesn't sleep for very long during the day, though.  She takes 2-3 naps, none longer than an hour.  Usually, they are 20-45 minutes each.  I hope  this suggestion helps!  Good luck.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tigger32. Show Tigger32's posts

sleeping techniques

We had the same routine for naps and nighttime which I think helped my son learn how to fall asleep on his own. I would sit in the rocking chair to feed him his bottle with only the nightlight on and with a lullaby CD playing quietly. After his bottle I would burp him and then rock with him. At first he would fall asleep while I was rocking him and I would gently put him in his crib. Gradually I would put him in his crib a little quicker so it was just before he fell asleep. Eventually we were putting him in his crib while he was awake and he would fall asleep on his own pretty quickly. Stick to a routine and do it gradually. That's the best advice I have.

And I agree with the previous poster ... don't worry about getting him ready for daycare. When he starts daycare just tell them what works and doesn't work in terms of getting him to nap. Napping at daycare will be an adjustment anyway because of the noise and activity so try not to stress too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sueedag. Show sueedag's posts

sleeping techniques

"4 Months old is too young to let him cry on his own in a room. he does not have the physical or neurological maturity to 'learn how to fall asleep'. Even Ferber and Wiessbluth say the earliest to let your baby cry is 6 months."

Um yeah, and do you believe everything you read in a book? Ferber is good for guidelines but, this baby is already sleeping thru the night. At 4 months he is cognizant enough to be aware of surroundings during the day. Most pediatricians will agree that once the adult has ensured that there is NO REASON for distress ( and babies have no other way to announce displeasure at being put down but crying) that leaving the baby to fall asleep is FINE. You can't learn common sense in a book

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dela12. Show dela12's posts

sleeping techniques

We have been swaddling our son since day 1 (he is 3 months now) at night using the Miracle Blanket.  Works  like a charm.  He is  exclusively nursing and sleeps  8-9 hrs a night.   I don't swaddle him during the day but he falls asleep in the swing.  We have the Fisher Price cradle swing and he sometimes still cries for  a minute but it lulls him to sleep very well .   Worth the money.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from le2329. Show le2329's posts

sleeping techniques

Hi~

My 4 month old son does not like when I put him in his crib awake for naps/bedtime.  (bedtime is easier) He just cries until I go pick him up, then he falls asleep in my arms. I go back to work soon, and I need to get him to nap before he goes to daycare.   Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

sleeping techniques

Why not get him more relaxed before putting him in his crib? A 4 month old baby is really young, so you could nurse/bottle feed him, rock him in a dimly lit room, either singing a lullaby or listening to soft music, then gently put him down in his crib and keep your hand on his belly (I'm assuming he's still sleeping on his back?), patting or 'shaking' him a bit to vibrate him to mimic a rocking sensation. Don't put him in sound asleep because you'll wake him up in the transfer, or 5 minutes later he'll wake once he's out of your nice snuggly arms, but if he's just about asleep he can be transferred and then he will fall asleep in his crib or cradle with your final assistance.

Soon enough you'll be able to put him in drowsy and walk away and he'll put himself to sleep, but this is in the meantime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sueedag. Show sueedag's posts

sleeping techniques

Even though it is hard, the trick is to not pick him up.   Let him cry for a few minutes, then go in, rub his back, make sure he has a clean diaper and has no reason for any distress.  If everything is fine, you need to leave and let him learn how to fall asleep on his own.  That is great that he has learned this at nighttime but, he needs to learn for nap time too.  Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

sleeping techniques

Oh, and most childcare centers totally do this to put the babies to bed, they don't expect to just plop them in their cribs and they fall asleep! So don't get too stressed about this milestone to get him "ready for childcare." They'll work with you around sleep, don't worry! A typical childcare center trick is to shake the crib a bit which is a rocking feeling - we have smaller cribs so we can rock them in ways you can't get your huge cribs rocking!