Special shoes for walking baby?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

Special shoes for walking baby?

Hi,

My 10 month old daughter is taking more and more steps as each day passes.  She will be walking any day now.  Do I need to get her special shoes?  Is it OK for her to walk around barefoot or in sandals that don't offer much support?  My mommy advice comes from my parents and inlaws and they said they had us kids in special Stride Rite shoes.  I know times and advice has changed since the 70's so what is the current school of thought on this subject?

Thanks
    mrsJB

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Re: Special shoes for walking baby?

I purchased shoes from Stride Rite as well....they were helpful in the store to take my son's size and offered advice on what was best from cruising vs. walking.  I thought the people at the store were helpful and they had cute shoes (although expensive!)  But at least I knew I was getting the right size!  Now that my son is running around we get less expensive shoes at Target, etc. - but I wanted to make sure that he had good shoes when he first started!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DKB50. Show DKB50's posts

Unless your baby's feet need protection from dangerous surfaces like broken glass on your floor, don't put shoes on her at all!  Let her feet grow and develop naturally.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from melissalev. Show melissalev's posts

No shoes is the best but for going out and about try Bobux/Robeez type leather slip-on shoes (which will not come off their feet easily) or Pedipeds.  They need very soft, flexible soles with no arch support (babies have no arches by design).  Once my daughter was really active we go her some See Kai Run sneakers for the playground, too.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

i agree no shoes is best. we used robeez or nothing when DD was first walking as long as there weren't any dangers. it helps them balance better to actually feel the floor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from missJB. Show missJB's posts

Thanks everyone!  She does do best when she is barefoot.  I'll look into Robeez when being barefoot is not ideal.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stockmanas. Show stockmanas's posts

Generally, children do not need any special shoes when learning how to walk.  My daughter needed some support to help her with standing and give her feet ankles some help to maintain correct position (gross motor delays, in Early Intervention).  The physical therapist reccomended Payless shoes Smart Fit.  These  have arch support and have helped her, not to mention I love paying a Payless price for a strong leather shoe (2 pair for $22 suring their BOGO sale).  I went to Stride Rite initially and had her measured, but their shoes do not have any arch support, and I found the sales help at Payless just as friendly and helpful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from am1028. Show am1028's posts

In Response to Re: Special shoes for walking baby?:
    Thanks everyone!  She does do best when she is barefoot.  I'll look into Robeez when being barefoot is not ideal.
    Posted by missJB

Just a caution on the Robeez if she is going to be outside, if it's at all wet, they'll get wet (and so will her feet) and get stuff stuck on the bottom of them.  My dad and DH left DD in her Robeez when going outside for a walk the other day and she stepped in the dewy grass.  The soles of the Robeez got soaked and got grass stuck to the bottom of them.  They took all day to dry.  Not a huge deal, but we didn't have any alternate shoes for her so she got put back in the wet shoes when we went to the mall.  Stride Rite or Pediped are better for walking outside and where there might be any sharp or sticky objects around.

As an aside, this morning, I tried to put DD's (who is 15 mo) shoes (her little keds sneakers) on without socks, and she got all bent out of shape. She tried to pull them off, all the while pointing at the socks that were sitting on the floor and going "socka", "socka" and looking at me like I was a complete fool. When she finally got the shoes off, she walked over to the socks, tried to put them on, then handed them to me to put on.  I put the socks on, then she started saying "shoe, shoe", so I put the shoes on.  Once I got the shoes on, she smiled, jumped up and practically ran out to the porch.  Obviously, she doesn't want to wear those shoes with no socks.  It was pretty funny -- I'm always impressed (and sometimes exasperated) by how much this little person knows her own mind and has her own opinions on things.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

AM - Just wait!!  I have a 2 year old...and boy does he have opinions on how everything should be!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Surprisedbut your daughter is RIGHT!  Shoes or sneakers without socks?  Ugh, never! 

Smile

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from corsetkitty. Show corsetkitty's posts

Stride Rite and Reeboks are what are recommended by our daughter's Physical Therapist.  Robeez are fine until they're actually walking, and then they need REAL shoes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMsMom. Show JMsMom's posts

A lot of my mom friends swear by Stride Rite shoes.  When my son started to walk at 10.5 months, I purchased Pediped Originals for him.  I am now on my 5th pair and love them!  There are many colors and styles.  However, my son is now 16-months-old and seems to need a bit more traction on the bottom of the soles.  I will try the Pediped Flex shoes when he grows out of the current Pedipeds he is wearing.  Good luck!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArchAngelsDoc. Show ArchAngelsDoc's posts

As a podiatrist who has seen a lot of children's feet developing over the past 20 years, the inevitable question of 'What are the right shoes for my wallking toddler?' always arises. Children learning to walk have a much different gait than adults - they place the entire foot down at once, gradually learning the heel-to-toe motion of the eventual stride. Therefore, when they are first learning to walk, barefoot indoors or using a Robeez bootie are helpful for the hundreds of muscles firing off in their feet to learn balance and gait. As the child progresses to an experienced walker, and can run, that is the time when good, supportive shoes are key. Many of the readers have written how arch support is critical, and many shoes today don't have it. Without adequate arch support, children's foot muscles have to work overtime to accomodate inside the shoe, and therefore can develop muscle fatigue and pain that can be avoided. I agree wholeheartedly, and as a result created an over-the-counter arch support specifically for children - Arch Angels, http://www.myarchangels.com - that is a removable arch support that can be put in any children's shoes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from deysan123. Show deysan123's posts

No shoes is best according to my pediatrician but if the baby needs shoes try the robeeez.  They are made of leather and are designed to be most like a bare foot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

One thing is for sure, threat your feet well from the start, and you will have less problems as an adult. When your feet hurt, you are miserable.
    I had my children in Strite-Rites - they were recommended to me by my pediatrician. They were expensive, but  you only get one pair of feet to last you for the rest of your life. I would save on my children's clothing and not buy them so many fashionable toys, but as far as their shoes are concerned, I would buy the best and safest available, no matter the cost.
    I was very lucky, that my parents could send me the wooden clogs from Europe. For outdoor walking and play, they were truly the best.
    I have seen babies and toddlers in Crocs. They may be soft, comfortable and fairly inexpensive, but for a growing and developing foot, they are a disaster. Besides, for young children they are dangerous too. I witnessed and accident, where a young child was hit by a car backing up from a parking spot, because she ran back to fetch a lost Crocs after the family had already passed the car in the parking lot.
    And one thing I strongly believe in, never ever give your child hand-me-down shoes. Every child's feet develop differently.

Sections
Shortcuts