Stay at Home Dads

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Stay at Home Dads

I, too, get annoyed at self-righteous mothers who can't grasp the concept of a father being an equal partner in parenting children or who feel they need to micromanage every second that a father spends with his children--and my children aren't due to be born until June. I fully expect that DH will be capable of staying with the kids if I go out for an afternoon or evening and that even if he does things differently than I do, that the kids (and he) will survive. For years, my pet peeve has been when people see a father taking care of his children and refer to it as "babysitting." Hello?! I think that attitude is so condescending and it really annoys me. It would never cross most people's minds to refer to a mother taking care of her children as babysitting, so why is it ok to refer to a father's time with his kids that way? It's called PARENTING...and it can be done well by either parent, not just a mother. I give your husbands credit for being active, capable parents and for not smacking people that make stupid comments like the ones in Sher's post.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red1977. Show Red1977's posts

Stay at Home Dads

I think Isis Maternity has a dad's group. www.isismaternity.com

Also, have you tried www.meetup.com? There's gotta be something on there. If not, maybe your husband could start one?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

Stay at Home Dads

my hubby is a stay at home dad too. luckily we were able to get a second car when DD was born (she's 2 now) and i went back to work. but i have to say there is nothing worse than those moms who think that all dads are hands off. DH said he gets some strange looks form moms and strange comments from people in grocery stores like "so how are you coping having a day with the little one?" or "how nice of you to give your wife a break." He also said he's gonna want to smack the next person that calls him "Mr. Mom" while yelling he is not a bad 80's film he's a DAD!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Stay at Home Dads

MM has had so many similar experiences, Sher. It's a shame because it isolates the fathers from a lot of the resources out there that are repeatedly billed as "Moms" groups. The number of SAHD's is growing but the willingness of the large body of supposedly enlightened woman who have fought for equal rights in all things to relinquish this "crown" they clutch seems non-existent.

Daisy, thank you and best with your soon to be expanded family! You're absolutely right. It's not called "Momming." It is parenting and any parent in the picture should be held to the same standard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Stay at Home Dads

My husband doesn't spend much time on the internet since our 10 mo. old is such an active kid, but he's close to going over the top with a lot of the Mommy Martydom comments he gets when he's out and about.

Does anyone know of any playgroups/social groups organized for SAHD's in the area? T accessible since we have one car and my job is NOT T accessible (unfortunately).

I think the last straw for him (and me) was when some woman commented to him yesterday that, "as a dad, believe me, you don't know the half of it," re: her eating habits in idle passing conversation.

I think it's do him some good to know he's not alone.
    Thanks!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

Stay at Home Dads

Red1977 - thanks for the tip. I'll check out Isis. I have looked on meetup, but there's very little by way of dads. Mostly moms - and out of range of the T.

I've suggested starting one, but he's sort of shy and would rather just meet other dads in a pre-existing venue.

Sections
Shortcuts