Summer camp -- Magazine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jay-mor. Show jay-mor's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

I'm with Hot-tomato. I'm just looking for fun. My kids do camps for a good chunk of the summer, so far just day camps neither of them wants to go away. We usually spend about $3,000 a summer. I think the best connections of the ones they make with the college aged kids. They are old enough to look up to them but still young enough to connect with them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

I went to scout camps growing up and didn't feel like I missed out on a thing.
    I have to say that it is rather ridiculous to be spending that kind of money on summer camp. Put the money aside for college and later travel for the child if you can afford to do so, but it is not going to make a difference to the child in the long term if you spent $9000 or $900. Even $900 sounds like over-extravagance to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

My children went to summer camp programs for 4 weeks each summer for several years when they were in elementary and middle school. The camps are located in New Hampshire and Maine. I selected camps based on my childrens' interests in sports, nature, and arts, and carefully considered the directors and counselors of each facility. I talked with parents of other campers and, in one instance, found out about a camp that was a better fit for one child. There are camps to meet everyone's needs and some offer "tuition" assistance.

Our costs were approximately $10,000 for three children to attend one four week session of camp. This did not include expenditures on clothing, bedding, or sundries associated with camp trips, canteens, etc.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trublusu. Show trublusu's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

9,000 for Summer camp is ridiculous. I bet that was in the Parents Paper ( everything in there is overpriced ! )I highly recommend the YMCA camp on Cape Cod. It's absolutely beautiful there and the counselors are awesome. My son had the best experiences there over the past 3 years. Even for the whole Summer is less than 5,000. http://www.ssymca.org/camp/RC_Burgess.shtml��

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archimedes. Show Archimedes's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

"Normal" is only relevant to the individuals involved. It's your money, if $9,000 is ok with you, then spend it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

[Quote]choiceCamps is right......you get what you pay for. I send my child to camp for not quite $9000 but very close. That price includes 3 to 4 weeks in Europe doing amazing things that she'd never have the opportunity to do a YMCA camp. Giving our children the opportunity to visit different countries, observe local customs and not to mention the learned responsibilities of budgeting and group chores while they are away is an education that they seem to view as awesome! I realize that everyone can't afford such luxuries, but if you can, I highly recommend it. AAVE is a company out of Colorado that runs these camps and they are quite expert at it. I highly recommend them. Their staff is top notich and their trips are the experience of a life time for our kids. Wish I'd had these opportunities growing up.....but I went to YMCA camp![/Quote]

gailburges 8258007991223119431
    Comments: 2

2/18/2009 11:58:07 AM

I just got off the phone with the camp advisors from ChoiceCamps.com. 20 minutes and thats my families camp plans sorted. highly recommended!

- G

Such blatant vendors recommending their own camp...ugh!

I went to YMCA camp and loved it! As other people have said here, the connection I made with the college aged kids was very rewarding. They were young enough that I respected their opinion but young enough that it didn't seem like my parents....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trub63. Show trub63's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

the people that are sending their kids to summer camp do so to get rid of them. they put a damper on their social life if they are around . anyone that sends their kids away for 8 weeks is selfish. summer camp should be two weeks at the most!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glambake. Show glambake's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

I spent $4000 to send two kids to VT for three weeks last summer. They are still talking about it. I admit I thought that was a lot and I really missed my kids but by that calculation, $9000 means the kid is away for 8 weeks or more! What's up with that? I see no reason to exile your family members for the whole summer. No one needs that much me time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_52526. Show user_52526's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

Find a camp for $4,500 and use the other half to help pay for poor or disabled or other kids who otherwise would not have this opportunity.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hito. Show hito's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

Try the local Y.� Most have summer camps and many have speciality camps as well.� My daughter attended baseball and basketball camp at one Y.� They have extended programs usually until 5:30 or 6:00 for parents that are working.� The prices are quite reasonable.In previous year searches, I also found a camp at Blue Hills that was reasonably priced and depending on the age of the child and certain weeks, they have one night that they get to sleep over.� The Franklin Park Zoo also offers a camp that is reasonably priced.� I haven't tried either of those personally, but had considered them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocklun. Show rocklun's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

My daughter loved Wildwood, the MA Audubon overnight camp, which is right over the NH state line in Rindge. The cost was around $700 per week. There were lots of fun activities, clean bathrooms, and excellent food. It is definitely geared toward nature activities (surprise, surprise!), so kids who are completely "anti-nature" probably wouldn't enjoy it.

They also offer a family camp before and after summer camp starts, so you and your kids can meet the counselors ahead of time. My daughter is now 16 and hopes to be a counselor at Wildwood in a couple of years!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from baby2009. Show baby2009's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

I went to camp for 10 years and LOVED it, it was probably the single most important influence in my life (besides my parents!) - my best friends are from my summers there! The cost of my camp for all summer was something like $7,000. Expensive, yes; ridiculous, no - not if you can afford it. If you can't, there are lots of less expensive options to choose from. Like anything else, it's a totally personal decision that you can't really judge others for - you don't know the size of their wallets or the value they put on the camp. Final thought - send your kids to camp - one you can afford - it is a great experience!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trub63. Show trub63's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

the people that are sending their kids to summer camp do so to get rid of them. they put a damper on their social life if they are around . anyone that sends their kids away for 8 weeks is selfish. summer camp should be two weeks at the most!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flextuning. Show flextuning's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

$9000 is way more than you should have to spend for a safe overnight camp with quality sport, nature and arts and crafts programs that lasts 4 weeks. camps aren't supposed to be fancy and my boys love their somewhat rustic camp (no iPods allowed, for instance) in the Berkshires that is organized, but allows for lots of time for free play and a chance to invent games with new friends. I spend about $7k for both boys to spend 4 weeks. there are a lot of camps out there, choose wisely.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Summer camp -- Magazine

[Quote]The cost of summer camps is typically related to the quality of instruction that your child will receive. Some camps hire high school and college-age counselors, while others hire more mature professionals who are year-round experts in their field. [/Quote]

You say that like it's a bad thing. Not all kids need to go to summer camp to learn from "mature professionals who are experts." They're going to CAMP, not to college. A college-aged kid is just as capable of teaching a youngster how to swim or sail.

I did notice that the camps listed in the Globe were bordering on the more expensive side. That's nice IF you can afford it, but it does seem kind of excessive. 9K for summer camp is way more than I would spend. My son does a combo of summer programs (including Y camp) that will cost less than 3K total and we chose the activities based on what HE would think is fun (swimming, tennis, etc).

It seems like folks who spend that kind of money have WAY higher expectations of what kids are supposed to do over their summers. "responsibilities of budgeting and group chores" -- now THAT'S fun right there!