Support Across the Spectrum - Helping Parents Understand Autism
posted at 5/6/2009 9:53 PM EDT
Information and Support Group
Join an information and support group especially for parents of young children (ages 2 to 5 years) diagnosed with Autism Spectrum disorders, including Autism, PDD-NOS, and Asperger's Syndrome.
* Understanding the Autism Spectrum
* Reviewing the developmental criteria for diagnosis
* Accessing appropriate school programming and adjunct therapies
* Learning about special education rights and laws
* Dealing with the emotional impact of the diagnosis
* Disclosing the diagnosis - if/when/how to inform family and friends
* Setting behavioral expectations - family gatherings/other social settings
* Creating a support network
Co-led by Carole Slipowitz, Psy.D. and Joan Murray, Ph.D.
Meeting weekly for six 90-min. sessions
Call the WarmLines office at 617-244-INFO for dates, time and cost.
WarmLines, 225 Nevada St, Newtonvillehttp://www.warmlines.org/autism.html