Sweet 16

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: Sweet 16

I like your idea of taking your daughter and friends to a show in the city. That sounds really fun!

Since you'll be accompanying the girls anyway, what if you rent a car that you can drive? I would assume renting something "fun" (and large enough) like an Escalade would be much cheaper than paying for a limo and driver for an entire evening.

As for the spa idea, maybe you could approach someone at a local salon and ask how much they would charge to come to your house and do manicures and pedicures for the girls? You could combine it with some favorite foods (like take-out sushi) for a fun girls' night in.

Good luck and happy birthday to your daughter!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not sure about transportation, but I just had to weigh on on Shear Madness - it was SO MUCH FUN!!  I've never laughed so hard so continuously, and I was about 18 when I saw it so it should be perfect for 16, too.  What a great idea!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

Thanks Kiwigirl I hadn't thought of renting a car.  I'll definitely look into that.

And Kargiver, I'm glad you think it will be fun.  I've never seen Shear Madness so it's great to hear your recommendation.

Maybe if I save some money on the transporation I will look into the Melting Pot for after the play.  I'm sure the girls could do some real damage to a chocolate fondue!  I was only there once with a group of friends and the dessert course was definitely the best. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

KEK, What a lovely relationship you and your daughter must have. So good to hear these days.
    I do not have much to offer in regards to what to do, but I would think a show would be a lovely idea. Only thing, have you looked into ticket prices? Shows are so expensive these days. On top of that would be the transportation. Besides, I am sure you would want to offer some kind of food to the girls. Even pizza and soft drinks run up these days.  If nothing else - at least a b-day cake.
    I would also think a pedi/mani spa session at your home would be something the girls would love and a lot of pennies left over for sushi. 
    Hope you will have a nice party - Pingo
    In Response to Sweet 16:
    [QUOTE]My daughter will be turning 16 in a couple of months.  I'm looking for ideas for a celebration.  I don't want anything over the top and would like to keep the cost < $500.  One of the ideas I had was taking her and 4 or 5 friends to either "Shear Madness" or "Blue Man Group"  The only problem I see is transportation.  Does anyone have a good idea of what a limo would cost?  We live on the South Shore.  Another idea would be some kind of spa treatments but I think that would quickly move out of my price range. Anyone else have any thoughts? I really want to do something special for her.  She is a good kid who keeps out of trouble, works hard at school, and helps out at home.  She deserves it.
    Posted by KEK[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think I got a AAA discount on those tickets...do you have AAA?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think that taking them to the city is a great idea. I LOVED coming to Boston/Cambridge when I was in high school -- it seemed like the coolest thing ever. Seeing Rocky Horror at midnight in Harvard Square was a life-changing experience for me when I was 16.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

Yes I do have AAA so I will check out the discount.  I think the tickets are in the $40 range so that's not too bad.  I know most others are so much more expensive.  I saw Wicked (awesome) last year and I think the tickets were well over $100.

Thank you for the kind words Pingo.  Yes, we do have a very good relationship.  Of course, we have our moments, but overall we're very close.  I didn't have DD until I was 36 so I think with age has come patience!  I have learned when to talk and when to just listen. 

I'm so glad everyone has liked my idea.  Thanks again

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I have a friend who is in Sheer Madness so I asked him about tickets. He said that you can purchase discounted tickets through Bostix on the day of the show. He said that weekends sometimes sell out but not usually, and weeknights almost never do. http://www.bostix.org/tickets/load_screen.asp?screen=todaysshows.asp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Also, don't forget the train!  My sister's older now, but when she was 16 she absolutely adored taking the train into Boston or Cambridge with her friends (and myself or my parents of course, as she's 7 years younger than I). 

That was always part of the adventure, and the cost is very reasonable.  It may be sort of a pain-in-the-neck for you, but they'll probably enjoy it.  You can always drive and park at a closer stop to Boston along the line if you don't want to ride for all that long, usually the parking lots are 4-5 dollars for a 24 hour period.

And...I took her to Shear Madness as a holiday gift when she was around 16.  She's been back three times with various friends and family.  Guess she liked it!  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ha ha, I remember loving the train too. That wore off pretty hard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

Good idea about the train.  It would surely be an adventure for these suburban girls.  I was taking the train into Boston with friends by the time I was 13, but things have changed.  My daughter just recently took a public bus for the first time! 

I think I have a pretty good plan, but if anyone else has any other unique ideas please send them my way.

Thanks again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The theater district isn't the safest neighborhood to be walking late at night after the show; I don't remember where the nearest T stop is.  If I remember right it's a bit of a walk.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Sweet 16:
    [QUOTE]The theater district isn't the safest neighborhood to be walking late at night after the show; I don't remember where the nearest T stop is.  If I remember right it's a bit of a walk.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    The Boylston stop is closest -- it's about a sixty-second walk to Shear Madness and you can see several theaters from the T. The area has changed a LOT in the past 10 years -- Emerson moved its dorms and classes there, and the whole area has been revitalized. All those run-down old buildings were or are in the process of being gutted and totally redone. It's not at all like the old Combat Zone. (Which is awesome for theatre-goers and such, but I liked it the way it was.) They've done a good job of preserving the architecture instead of just tearing things down, though. Be sure to check out the awesome video wall at the Emerson Paramount Theatre: http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2010/03/03/video_wall_theme_puts_focus_on_history/

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

My son invited five friends to Blue Man Group for his 10th birthday next Saturday!  We can all fit in my SUV, and my husband will drive in his car with our 8 year old.  My son is so excited.  We are trying to figure out where to go out to eat afterwards.  He wants to go to Faneuil Hall or the North End, but I don't know yet.  Through Ticketmaster the tickets are close to $80, but you can go to Bostix.com and they have some shows for half price, which is what I ended up doing.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

fyi...typically, Bostix only sells the half price tickets the day of the performance, in person, so I almost paid full price through Ticketmaster. I was so glad I took a second to look on their site and was able to buy them in advance, online!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

My D.D. just celebrated her 14'th birthday. We had it in our home. Pizza,Wii,Pinata,cake, and just hanging out in the yard with their cameras. For her sweet sixteen, I would like to do a Theatre night for her. Kar is right I think, about how the theatre district can be unsafe, but with planning it should be O.K. Boston is working on making the city more vibrant and safe. We take D.D. to different neighborhoods often, and it is always fun. We most often go to the North End, South End,Backbay,Charlestown, and Chinatown. Entertainment is SO expensive though, especially with teenage girls. Your Daughter and friends will have a great time whatever you choose. I'm also an older mom..I was 37 when I had her, and I am so much wiser and more knowledgeble than when I had my son at 21. Congrats! your D.D. sounds like a sweetie. bg.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

lemon, that's great to know about that area, thanks!  I haven't been there in 20 years so I probably shouldn't have said anything about it in the first place.  I forget things change, you know?  Oh, and that it was 20 years ago, ACK!!!!!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I know, it used to be SUPER sketchy. Emerson had just started having classes there during my last two years and when we'd see "180 Tremont" on our class schedules we'd be all, "oh H3LL no."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nice to know some things change for the better.  :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

I'm very familiar with the area.  I worked in Copley Square for many years and have walked down to Chinatown for lunch several times.  The combat zone is pretty much defunct.

A couple of years ago, I was taking my daughter to something at the Wang and we had an hour to kill.  We decided to take a walk and wouldn't you know it, we walked right down the street past one of the few remaining strip clubs.  There was a girl standing outside having a cigarette and talking to the bouncer.  She was dressed pretty scantily for the weather.  Of course my daughter asked why.  This resulted in a pretty interesting conversation about values, choices, self-respect, etc.  You never know when a "teaching moment" is going to happen.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

The theater district has gotten a lot less sketchy lately - many of the new buildings are luxury apartments/condos, and a lot of good restaurants are down there too. If you like P.F. Chang's there is one very close. There is also a Califonia Pizza Kitchen. Both are available in the burbs - but if your daughter or her friends are picky eaters, they serve food that isn't too out there. I am a fan of Jacob Wirth's - on the edge of the theater district, but an old Boston classic. There is also a Finale's (a delicious dessert place), which might be a lot of fun for a post -theater treat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Man, who knew the combat zone would ever be a fun, safe place.  That's where Finale is?  Yum!  I need to visit the city sometime.