Teacher-friendly daycare options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

Teacher-friendly daycare options

Especially after reading the article about daycare costs earlier this week, I've been thinking a lot about it!
    Have any teachers (especially on the South Shore - Whitman area) found day care options that don't make you pay for days like school vacations? I completely understand why many centers can't afford to allow you to take off random days without paying, but that doesn't mean I want to pay for childcare during vacations!
    My mom was telling me that an old neighbor of ours used to take just teachers' kids so that she would have the same holidays. I figure there's got to be others like her out there, but I've been having trouble looking online. Google searches mostly bring me to articles about daycare teachers and at 11 weeks, I haven't told my colleagues, so I can't ask for their help yet.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Re: Teacher-friendly daycare options

I don't know any in Whitman but my friend goes to an in-home daycare in Weymouth where she has vacation weeks and summers off.  The woman is flexible over the vacation and summer too that if she needs a day here or there she will take the baby.

I'd talk to co-workers when that time comes but my guess is that the in-home daycare would be the best route for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

oh my gosh.. so happy i opened this thread as we've been going through the same things.. we live in bedford and want a daycare in bedford.. actually preferably a home day care to start and would love to find one that just did teachers (I would look at centers too though if they had flexibility for teacher schedules).  My husband is a college prof so he is off mid May to end of Aug.  we found one home day care that does teachers only and she takes off June, July, and August but of course she has no openings for Sept 2011...  :-(  I google but find nothing.

I'm due first week of Feb but we won't need daycare till Aug/Sept 2011 after my husband has to go back.. so our son will be almost 7 months by then.. and then we only need 2-3 days a week

Rysmom - could you give me info on the person in Bedford?  I thought about asking teachers but I don't know any in the area... and my husband doesn't teach in the immediate area either but bedford, burlington, lexington is the ideal spot for our for daycare based on where we live and where i work..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Jan - She is right near the high school.  I would guess it is the person that you already talked to but I can see what I can find out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I know the person very well I spoke to, it's just she has two new babies for January but she is going to keep me posted if anything changes before Aug/Sept.  she is close to the high school, then again everyone is in Bedford since it's such a small town.  I talked to a girl at my husband's xmas party though on friday night and she works as a teacher in Bedford and told me that she heard of a couple as well and was going to see what she can find out.. one is probably the same person. I'll just keep tapping into all resources i can find and see what I hear..  :-)  Thanks!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxgirl07. Show Soxgirl07's posts

I am so happy to read all these replies- it makes me feel like there will be options! After winter break, I'm going to start telling people at school and hopefully someone there will be able to give me a good connection. I'll also feel a little more confident calling around to in-home daycares.
    It was one of those things that I knew I'd be able to solve in a few weeks, but that was kind of eating at me now and this thread really did make me feel better - thanks!
    Good luck with your search Janbride!

Sections
Shortcuts