The Mama Bear Effect

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

The Mama Bear Effect

Hi ladies. It's been a while since I've been able to keep up with everything going on here. Just celebrated DD's 3rd birthday and DS will be 16 months in a couple days. I hope everyone is well.

I'm writing in because I've set up a Facebook page for a cause that I'm passionate about - preventing child sexual abuse. I cannot stand to read the news much because I always seem to stumble upon a story that breaks my heart. I finally realized it was a waste to just be angry...I needed to do something.

It is estimated that 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused,  usually by someone they know - family, friends, neighbors, even their own peers.. In up to 90% of the cases, no one is charged - these people do not go to jail, are not listed as sexual offenders. 40% of the time, it's by another child. Most parents do not suspect that.

The shame, fear, and pain of victims often causes them to hold it in for a long time or even their whole lives. The ones that love them wish they had seen the signs - sometimes there are...but most of the time parents do not talk to their children about sexual abuse. This is where we are failing.

The page is www.Facebook.com/mamabeareffect I know in my heart we are all Mama Bears and are ready to defend our children to our last breath. I want people to feel EMPOWERED and not afraid to learn about sexual abuse or talk to our kids about it.

We recognize the blessing that is every child in this world. Every child's pain is our pain.

I want to start a movement of people willing to step up and educate themselves on how to prevent child sexual abuse. I plan to post simple clear cut tips and facts so we can understand what we are up against and what we can do about it.

The page is a bit rudimentary right now but I have a graphic designer working on a logo for me.  This is a tough issue, but we all know when we became parents - we didn't do it because we thought it was going to be easy. We love our children and we want to be committed to protecting and guiding them to the best of our abilities. And those of us who aren't parents still love the children in our lives with ever fiber in our bodies.

I hope you will visit the page and "like" it. I hope you will share it with your friends so we can all be one step closer to protecting our children from something so terrible and painful that it's tempting to just ignore this post and go on with your life thinking that this will never happen to a child you know... Sexual abuse of children affects every demographic of the world - the most at risk are those that are afraid to face it head on. For the sake of all abused children in the world, we can no longer afford to turn a blind eye or a deaf ear.

thanks for your time, ladies, and I hope you will stand beside me in this effort!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Re: The Mama Bear Effect

Furthermore, if anyone has usernames for other parenting boards and can share my message above or can suggest other places to share my message please let me know!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, benice, long time no see.  cannot believe your oldest and misslily's twins are three!

thought this deserved a bump up.  I don't have a fb account, but applaud the effort.  I agree that information is a good inoculation against potential abusers' manipulation.  We warn kids about other scary things, why not this? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Thanks, Kar. That's the main problem why child sexual abuse is actually very prevelant - people don't want to talk about it and it perpetuates itself. 

The page is now running a contest of sorts... like or share a specific post and Mama Bear Effect will randomly choose a participant to receive a free copy of http://www.amazon.com/Said-guide-keeping-private-parts/dp/1878076493/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349210123&sr=1-1&keywords=sexual+abuse+prevention 

www.facebook.com/mamabeareffect

We've already gotten 110 likes from people all over the country and across oceans. It's amazing! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So many people are freaked out to talk to their kids about healthy sex let alone abusive sex, what it means, how to recognize warning signs of the threat of abuse and, heaven forbid, handle being victimized.

That's very cool, love the contest.  (I remember telling my grandmother in 1990 that I didn't think the internet would catch on.  Whoops.)