Therapist or counselor in downtown Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from momofatoddler. Show momofatoddler's posts

Therapist or counselor in downtown Boston?

I have two little kids and am feeling overwhelmed.  I'd like to talk a professional to help me sort through my feelings, but I don't know where to start in finding someone. I've looked on my insurance provider's web site, but it is difficult to figure out who would best meet my needs.  Ideally I'd like to find someone near my office in the financial district.

Any recommendations or suggestions for how to go about this search process?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomarra. Show tomarra's posts

Re: Therapist or counselor in downtown Boston?

Momo, I sorry you're feeling this way. I would give your regular doctor a call and ask for a recommendation.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When I needed a therapist, I called my provider and asked to talk to someone who could guide me in the choice.  They did, and it was much easier and less stressful than I expected.  How about calling your insurance company and asking for help with the choice?  They might have someone trained and ready to help.

Be prepared, though, for not finding the "perfect" therapist for you right off the bat.  Give it a chance (2 or 3 visits) and then if you don't think it's a good fit, ask that person if he or she knows of someone who would be better suited to help you and your particular needs.  In my experience, they are NOT offended and actually should tell you up front that they might not be the best person for you to see.  

If you take the pressure off yourself to find the best person for you first thing, it's a lot easier to take the plunge with the first, not necessarily the last, therapist. 

GL and best wishes.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Mom, I have a good recommendation from a training I went to.  I will check her name at work tomorrow and post.  Parenting/post-partum/women's issues is a specialty for her

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

My OB offers a list of recommended providers, especially those who specialize in post-partum/motherhood issues. It also includes insurance information. That might be a good place to start.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantownemom. Show beantownemom's posts

I suggest you call the Social Work Therapy Referral Service (SWTRS).  It is a FREE confidential telephone referral service in MA for anyone looking for counseling services. Tell them your insurance and what you would like to work on and they will direct you to the right person.

617-720-2828
    or
    800-242-9794

http://www.therapymatcher.org/
    We provide professional, personalized counseling referrals matched for location, specialty and insurance or fee requirements.

We'll help you find a skilled individual, family, or group therapist in Massachusetts--and we'll continue to work with you until you find the right match. We take the guesswork out of finding a therapist!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Here's a link to Postpartum Support International's page on Boston. 
    http://postpartum.net/Get-Help/Support-Resources-Map-Area-Coordinators/PSI-Locations-United-States/PSI-Massachusetts.aspx

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

oh gosh!  This post slipped my mind at work.  I will look up that referral tomorrow!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I'd recommend getting a referral from a doctor that you like.  I've found that birds of a feather really do flock together and I've had very good experiences finding docs that way.

It helps if the specialties are somewhat related, but it's not a necessity.  If you like your OB, primary care physician, or pediatrician, give them a call.