Towns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Towns

Oh, I miss Brighton, except for all the drunk irish kids that come to work for the summer who used to break bottles and yell outside our condo. But there is definite charm in being able to walk to get dinner, your nails done, a haircut and ice cream. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Towns:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I miss Brighton, except for all the drunk irish kids that come to work for the summer who used to break bottles and yell outside our condo. But there is definite charm in being able to walk to get dinner, your nails done, a haircut and ice cream. 
    Posted by ajuly09[/QUOTE]
    There are really quiet, neighborhoody parts of Brighton and Allston. And then there are punk ghettos too. I don't mind the punks, but I absolutely could not deal with the doods.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Towns : Where???
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]
    My parents live in Fairhaven.  All those towns down there have great town beaches but you need to be a resident to get a sticker.  In Westport there's Horseneck but that's all waves and fine sand, kind of scary for a toddler.  New Bedford has decent beaches but the neighborhoods you have to drive through to get to them aren't great and there's construction on 18 now so it's not worth the effort.
    Have you tried the S. Boston beaches?  They really are great.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Wow.  I did not know there were single family houses like that in our price range in All/Bri.  Damn.  I might have to change my search criteria...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

There is a small but incredibly dedicated parents' group here, and everyone is so friendly and helpful and not snotty or creepy. Lots of band people and arty types.

This is the house I want:
    http://www.trulia.com/property/3054649319-11-Durland-St-Boston-MA-02135
    Poppy, you can buy my house and I'll buy that one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Come to us, Poppy. I will share my cucumbers with you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

The commute from Brighton to Malden may not be so much fun...but the tomatoes might make it worth it! :)

I grew up in Melrose and my brother and his family (4 kids) live there. They go to the charter school, which is fabulous! But no, I don't trust the school system at all and it kills me, because I love Melrose. You get the townie feel, with the ability to be in Boston in 20 minutes. At one point I did live in Melrose and commuted to Malden, best commute of my life! 

DH had a house in Burlington before I met him and that is where we live now. It is very different, but it is growing on me.  We live on the Wilmington border and I have to say I do a lot in Wilmington. I just recentely discovered Silver Lake beach with a great playground,  that is perfect for families with small kids!

Burlington has lots of activies: 4th July Parade, Town Day, Truck Day, weekly concerts in the summer and lots of wonderful parks and wading pool. The schools are not bad either!

Having grown up in the area...Reading is lovely. Winchester is great if you can afford one of those beautiful victorians!

Good luck in your search!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ooh, that house is lovely, Lemon.  As are your tomatoes and cucumbers...

Jetta - there are some  nice houses in Burlington we could afford, but we don't know much about it... I'm glad it's grown on you a bit.  Do you think you'll stay there?  I see mixed things about the schools, but overall them seem ok...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Yes, we will be staying, I just make sure we go to Turners in Melrose once every couple of months! Ha!

Growing up in Melrose, we played Kickball in the street, in Burlington we have a yard that is comparable to a park! Love our neighbors who also have small kids and the fact that it has so much going on has won me over. Yes, the schools are a mixed bag. I am in the Pine Glen elementary school district, so I am confident as far as elementary goes...and also, school is what you put into it. So I am living on the one day at a time... : )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

We used to play street hockey on our street in Melrose, it was great.  And we lived behind a school and it was the days when parents let you go off without them so we would go to the playground all the time.

I see kids playing in the streets around our house all the time too in Melrose and we live on a nice quiet street.

Jetta - I have heard great things about the charter school except for their facilities.  A friend of my husbands actually took there child out of the charter and put her in the middle school because it offered more programs (I'm guessing extra curricular/electives) than the charter school...what is your brothers opinion about that?

I went to Melrose schools and worked in them briefly and they are better than they were but they do still need work and having said that I went to a good college and am a successful adult! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We had a huge house and yard on the cape on a quiet street in a quiet town and I COULD NOT WAIT to get the h3ll out of there. I remind myself of that every summer when I start feeling the lawn envy.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Is the charter school in Melrose that you guys are talking about the Mystic Valley Regional Charter?
    If so, I would say it is not right for every kid.  I have a couple of colleagues who have pulled their kids out.  I believe their main complaint was excessive structure and rigidity.  In my opinion, some kids need that but others already impose their own structure.  In that case, the excess of structure just makes them nuts and turn out like ME!
    Anyway, just my thoughts on charters -- they tend to serve some kids well but not others.  Also, I think MVR has a pretty big lottery / waitlist, so you'd be taking your chances even if you knew it was the kind of school you wanted.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Well.  Just signed the P&S to sell our condo.  I should be excited, but rather am trying to quell the panic...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Congratulations Poppy.  And Happy House hunting!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Congratulations!  I can imagine it is exciting / panic inducing!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

yay - so exciting.. keep us posted where you end up!  you could be a neighbor!  :-)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Makes me want to move again, even though we bought a house a year ago. I love looking at houses and then the decorating that comes in the new house! I may just have to go to some open houses on sunday for a fix! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Ajuly - can you look for houses for me next year and then decorate them???  I am the sort of person who buys a new shower curtain and then lets it sit around in the package for 3 weeks collecting dust.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I love the decorating part too.  We bought a house in December, moved in in March and we've been decorating.  All we have left to paint is the second floor master suite. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I hate painting trim.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

I could use some help over here too!  I love the idea of decorating but don't know where to even begin!

Congrats Poppy!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Oh Congrats Poppy!!!

LiveLoveLearnEnjoy - To be honest, I was never a charter school fan, but my neices and nephews seem to be thriving, so I have to say it is working for them. And I do agree it is not for everyone. They do their extra-curricular activies in and around Melrose, like dance and karate. But I do believe one of my neices is on their swim team.

The one downside to the charter school is that your friends are not in walking distance. I would walk all over Melrose to go to friend's houses/schools parks, & Caruso's for a slice. (hopefully to reopen soon? Although Petrones is my #1) However, when your friends are from different towns it makes it harder.

My heart will always be in Melrose...and you never know, my Mom is still sitting on the family homestead...maybe, I'll be back at somepoint! You never know! ; )

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]The one downside to the charter school is that your friends are not in walking distance.
    Posted by jettagirl78[/QUOTE]
    ... but neither are your enemies

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Jetta - I'm for petrone's for subs because their pita bread is the best there is but when it comes to pizza I am partial to Melrose House which is funny because until I moved back to Melrose (into my grandmother's house funny about your parents house being a possible someday) my family always got patrone's.

We have several children on our street who go to the MVR charter and are happy but I would have to do more research before making any decisions.  DS is currently 11 months so I have time. 

Oh and the memories you have brought back of walking the streets of Melrose!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]Ajuly - can you look for houses for me next year and then decorate them???  I am the sort of person who buys a new shower curtain and then lets it sit around in the package for 3 weeks collecting dust.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Sure, I'd love to. If I stop teaching I'd love to be a home organizer, don't think I have the skills to be a decorator. I could spend hours in Homegoods! It's a good thing my little man likes to shop. We have two floors of our house that have been gutted and need to be redone, I am chomping at the bit to decorate them!