Towns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Re: Towns

EZola, I don't believe that we pay a crippling property tax.  I also don't know what services we are missing that you are hearing omplaints about. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

To address EZola's comment about property taxes...Stoneham rates are no more than anywhere else on the list, and definitely less than Melrose and Bedford.  

All of the towns you listed are nice for different reasons.  I love Melrose and Wakefield, and have spent a lot of time there and know many people in each place.  Melrose has a lovely center of town, and Wakefield has the lake, which is great.  However, based on what I've heard from friends, I wouldn't love the schools.  

Reading is a nice little town, with decent schools and is very conveniently located, in my opinion.  

Bedford is very nice.  I know someone who lives there and could easily afford private school, but took his children out of the independent school they were at two years ago and has been very happy. 

Middleton, does not have the most amazing elementary schools, but the high school, (Masconomet), which included Topsfield and Boxford is excellent.  In fact, I would recommend Topsfield, over Middleton.  It has more of a small town feel, nice little center of town, very decent schools, and a very wide range of pricing in houses.  My kids went to preschool there and I know lots of great people. If I were to move tomorrow, I'd go to Topsfield. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

EZola - I don't think I said I lived in Somerville... do you know me??  :)  We want a bigger lot and more privacy, and to be in a single family.

Jewels - we've considered Burlington but I'm just not sure because I have a friend who grew up there and does not recommend it... but that was 20 years ago!  I'm glad to hear you like it!

Michelle - we love Topsfield but I think it might be just a little too far.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Hi Poppy,

Also a long time lurker.  We looked for two years and considered every community on your list (except Bedford).  To give you a little background I'm from Medford and he's from San Francisco but was living in Somerville.  We were looking for something with a train, a community "feel", some sort of walk-able town center, a decent school system, and not too far from Boston (we both work here).  We definitely didn't want a car-necessary community if you know what I mean.

I have to say, Melrose is still my favorite.  We got into a ton of bidding wars, saw some very charming houses, but nothing worked out for us there.  Wakefield was up on the list too (so long as it was walking distance to the lake/center and train) but we ended up in all places...Swampscott.  We LOVE it.  In about 15 minutes I can walk to the ocean beach, the library is great, tonight not only is there a free art class for anyone interested but also "Despicable Me" is playing outdoors in the town hall (park).  Marblehead is right down the street and we can drive into Salem if we feel like "city" in no time.

However, the commute can stink at times (though it's really not as bad as people think...really!), and I still LOVE and adore Melrose.  So on your list, that would be my number one choice like many others!

Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ugh. I am having MAJOR yard envy. Also access to ocean envy. But then I remember that summer is only 3 months or so, and I'll be stuck  in the burbs for the rest of the year. It's an impossible choice. I need a summer home!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Summer with me down in SE MA.  20 minutes to the cape, 45 to Boston, and I have a lot of yard.  I swear, nobody on these boards is from SOUTH of Boston!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We'll be there with our tent next weekend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Lost if it helps I grew up in Hanover....but have since moved to Melrose and love it.  :)  Good luck on the house hunt Fran!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I'm South of Boston!  My parents live down on the SE coast.  GREAT beaches there.  The issue is commuting from down here is horrible.  My wonderful neighbors just moved because they wanted Metro West to be closer to work/commuter rail.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from culhasa. Show culhasa's posts

Sorry poppy...realized it was your original post not Fran.  Good luck!  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Towns:
    [QUOTE] My parents live down on the SE coast.  GREAT beaches there. 
    Posted by lissafro[/QUOTE]
    Where???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

In Response to Re: Towns:
    [QUOTE]Summer with me down in SE MA.  20 minutes to the cape, 45 to Boston, and I have a lot of yard.  I swear, nobody on these boards is from SOUTH of Boston!!!
    Posted by Lostgrouse[/QUOTE]

I am ... I'm a Cape girl and love it!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

How do people feel about Dedham? Hot or not?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

As a place to live or is there some sort of magical landlocked beach that I'm not aware of?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ha ha! When threads collide.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from neda88. Show neda88's posts

There is one town that is in the middle of your search area that you have not mentioned and I thought I'd just throw in a quick thought:  Wilmington.  We searched in ALL the towns you've mentioned (DH's kids from first marriage live in Burlington so we wanted to be close) and found that with some looking we could get WAY more house for the money in Wilmington.  We also have almost an acre of land which makes our yard like a park for the kids.  The taxes are LOW compared to all the neighboring towns and the services are very good (we've really been tested on snow removal since we moved!)  Also, the property values seem to be holding.  Recent resales on my street have been within 1-2% of what we had our house built for 2 years ago.  I don't have kids in the schools, but my neighbors do and they seem very happy (they are also starting to build a new high school).  However, I figure if I don't like them in 5 years when DS is ready for school I can afford private school because of all the money we saved over moving to Winchester.  Also, I love my neighbors...  when you talk about the "feel" of the place, I completely get what you are saying.  It's a mix of educated working professionals, working moms, SAHMs and no snootiness to be found!  I was VERY resistant to Wilmington initially, but I'm happy with the decision we made.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from echeri. Show echeri's posts

Has anyone looked at Belmont?  We are in a similar situation as Poppy but not as far along in our search process as others on this list.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Belmont is super expensive. I know that much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

We looked in Belmont, or should I say attempted to look. We would only be able to afford a condo there. It is one of the most expensive towns in the area. If we had 700,000 to spend then it would have been a different story.  If you can afford it, it's a great town! Schools are excellent and downtown has a lot to offer. 

ETA: just did a search and it looks like there are more affordable options now over when we bought 2 years ago! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Neda - thanks for the info on Wilmington.  That was actually top on our list until I started looking at school performance data.  It's not very good, however it is good to hear you know people who are happy.  Maybe we'll take another look at it.

Belmont used to be on our list but I eventually removed it after months of absolutely 0 houses in our price range coming up on our searches.

We drove through Lynnfield on Sunday - very pretty town, woodsy.

Lemon - I grew up in Norwood and have mixed feelings about Dedham.  There are some very nice areas with old New England homes, but there are also some less-desireable areas.  I would say the Westwood side is the nicest, but I am not uber familiar with all of Dedham.  I haven't looked at their school data.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Lemon - I grew up in West Roxbury, and have friends who have made the leap to the 'burbs, moving to Dedham.  I find it to be a sort of weird town...the neighborhoods vary wildly from really nice to okay.  And most people I know with kids send them to private school for high school.  I'm a die-hard city-dweller, myself; I'd rather be in the city and know I might be paying private school tuition than be in the suburbs, but that's just me.  And if I'm going to be paying for private school in Dedham, I'd rather be living in Boston! We're focusing our search in Roslindale and West Roxbury...more single family houses, smallish yards, but great community feel.   

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Come to allston-brighton, luv. You can join our family network. Come to us. [beckons alluringly]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I will share my tomatoes with you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

you can buy this house

http://www.trulia.com/property/3057470668-45-N-Crescent-Circuit-Boston-MA-02135

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My husband and I talked a lot about West Roxbury -- you get a lot more bang for your buck there. But for us it was just too far out, and it seems to be the focal point of the majority of the public school assignment angst. Everyone I've met in All/Bright got into one of their top 2 schools, and most into their #1 choice.