Towns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jettagirl78. Show jettagirl78's posts

Re: Towns

First: 6/9/2010
    Last: 8/6/2011
    Jetta - I'm for petrone's for subs because their pita bread is the best there is but when it comes to pizza I am partial to Melrose House which is funny because until I moved back to Melrose (into my grandmother's house funny about your parents house being a possible someday) my family always got patrone's
    First: 6/9/2010
    Last: 8/6/2011
    Jetta - I'm for petrone's for subs because their pita bread is the best there is but when it comes to pizza I am partial to Melrose House which is funny because until I moved back to Melrose (into my grandmother's house funny about your parents house being a possible someday) my family always got patrone's
    Jetta - I'm for petrone's for subs because their pita bread is the best there is but when it comes to pizza I am partial to Melrose House which is funny because until I moved back to Melrose (into my grandmother's house funny about your parents house being a possible someday) my family always got patrone's.

- Actually, all I ever get from Petrone's are their salads, so I can eat the pita bread and not feel too guilty! LOL For Pizza growing up we always went to Mother's on Franklin St.  : )

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Well, I guess I am the only one here who LOVES Arlington.

I usually only post in the Pets forums, but this caught my eye and I would love to comment.

I am expecting in November, and my husband and I bought a two family, split level style in Arlington last August. It was built in 2006, so recently new and we absolutley love it. Do we have a huge yard? No. But we have a decent yard that is fenced in with enough grass space for our little dog, a patio big enough for a grill, and a four piece patio set, and enough room for a child to throw around a ball, have a baby pool, etc.

In my opinion, and of course everyone is different, I would prefer to raise my child in a city-like enviroment. I want him/her (don't know the sex), to go on the bus/train, be around busy streets (safely of course!), be able to walk everywhere. We found that Arlington was a perfect balance of suburb/city. Where we live, we are a 2 minute walk to Mass Ave (restaurants, the Fox Library, fun shops, art studios), and a 7-10 minute walk to Arlington Center. I didn't want to live in a town where I had to throw my kid in the car everytime I wanted to go somewhere. We almost bought a house in Natick, and I feel as if we did end up living there, it would have been like that.

I am not, in any way, knocking people who live in more spread out suburbs. I have many, many friends who thrive in towns such as Southborough, Woburn, Northbourough, Billerica, etc. And they love the fact that they have a nice big single family with a big yard. To us, that wasn't what was important.

Also, regarding schools in Arlington. They just passed a 6.5 million dollar over ride, which will help A LOT. I have high hopes for Arlington's schools, and truly believe that my child will, hopefully, thrive in their system.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there :)

I really hope I did not offend anyone!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Minipup - good to know!  I love Arlington (we currently live right on the Arlington/Somerville line and I'm at Isis constantly) but was so dismayed to know 2 separate families who moved out of Arlington recently specifically because of the schools.  But I agree that the override could help and hopefully will!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.  I am also very excited about decorating, but don't know the first thing about it!  I have always loved making my home homey and pretty, but I always skimp on my purchases and currently have a house full of hand-me-down furniture, ancient towels, ancient sheets, etc.  I might actually look into meeting with a decorator once we are in a new home, just to see if that would be helpful!  I like the idea of knowing what my options are, and talking to someone who could organize them for me.  But if it's very pricey, I won't go that route.  But first need to find a house to decorate...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The whole school thing is baffling. I know several families who moved to Cambridge because of the schools (one family even rented out their Somerville house in order to break even on a smaller Cambridge apartment to put their kid into the Baldwin elementary), and then someone on here said that she moved OUT of Cambridge because the schools are so awful.

Poppy, I think that a house full of hand-me-down junk is just what you need with a toddler. The only nice-ish thing we own is our dining room table (bought last winter) and I am constantly harrassing my poor daughter about it. The only reason I let her and my husband use it at all is because we bought a 5-year protection plan for it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Arcain. Show Arcain's posts

Minipup -- I'll definitely second your love for Arlington. It's a fabulous location, great town, and everyone I know who lives there loves it. I don't know a ton about the schools, but I've always had a good impression.

Problem is, it's pretty unaffordable for me. DH and I rented there about 6 years ago, and it seemed an affordable way to live close to the city. It was definitely my #1 place when we began looking to buy, but after 2 years of diligent searching we couldn't even find a smallish condo in our price range. I guess it's not surprising, though -- it's in demand!

(Also, I'd definitely be broke if I lived in Arlington, b/c I'd find myself going to Flora way too often -- yum!)

I've been to a lot of smaller cities that have affordable, really convenient, family-friendly and safe neighborhoods and/or inner-ring suburbs with condos and single-families suitable to people with kids. I love Boston, but that's one thing I dearly wish there were more of here (yes, I'm still suffering some regret/remorse for my recent flight to the not-so-convenient burbs :-)).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Lemon.  I think you meant me, but I moved out of Somerville because the schools are horrible and I wanted a yard and not deal with city parking, etc.  My son goes to a Catholic school in Cambridge though, even though we live in the suburbs.  He's starting 5th grade and has asked to finish there.  We are taking it on a year by year basis.  Cambridge Schools aren't as good as they once were as a whole.  And for what I paid for my house I'd live in a really tiny place.  My sister works in the system.  Yes, some schools are good, but the system as a whole needs some work and the High School almost lost accreditation.  It's sad because when I went there the school system was one of the best.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Yes, I thought from this post http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a982ab641-9368-4d63-9123-280cf0ac364aForum%3aed6a8439-b984-4a2f-8c37-f99dbf2e33daDiscussion%3ac6530321-463f-40f3-86fc-6d34051136bc&plckFindPostKey=Cat:982ab641-9368-4d63-9123-280cf0ac364aForum:ed6a8439-b984-4a2f-8c37-f99dbf2e33daDiscussion:c6530321-463f-40f3-86fc-6d34051136bcPost:261d815e-145d-4c76-b391-f0b1d14dfd23 that you actually lived in Cambridge and chose private school over the public ones.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

No but I would if I had lived in Cambridge anyway.  It's not what it used to be.  One or two schools may be good, but you don't always get your choices.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

In Response to Re: Towns:
    Minipup -- I'll definitely second your love for Arlington. It's a fabulous location, great town, and everyone I know who lives there loves it. I don't know a ton about the schools, but I've always had a good impression. Problem is, it's pretty unaffordable for me. DH and I rented there about 6 years ago, and it seemed an affordable way to live close to the city. It was definitely my #1 place when we began looking to buy, but after 2 years of diligent searching we couldn't even find a smallish condo in our price range. I guess it's not surprising, though -- it's in demand! (Also, I'd definitely be broke if I lived in Arlington, b/c I'd find myself going to Flora way too often -- yum!) I've been to a lot of smaller cities that have affordable, really convenient, family-friendly and safe neighborhoods and/or inner-ring suburbs with condos and single-families suitable to people with kids. I love Boston, but that's one thing I dearly wish there were more of here (yes, I'm still suffering some regret/remorse for my recent flight to the not-so-convenient burbs :-)).
    Posted by Arcain

Mmm, Flora! Don't get me started on Za....I would be 200lbs if I didn't have self control!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

No but I would if I had lived in Cambridge anyway.  It's not what it used to be.  One or two schools may be good, but you don't always get your choices.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

Actually, Cambridge is a lot fancier than it was 20-30 years ago. There really are no bad areas now, and I haven't heard complaints about any of the lower schools. They have montessori kindergarten and organic food gardens that are maintained by the kids and supply food to the schools. They're also in the process of consolidating and overhauling their school system.

Not that it matters for us. We can't afford to live there anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

In Response to Re: Towns : Actually, Cambridge is a lot fancier than it was 20-30 years ago. There really are no bad areas now, and I haven't heard complaints about any of the lower schools. They have montessori kindergarten and organic food gardens that are maintained by the kids and supply food to the schools. They're also in the process of consolidating and overhauling their school system. Not that it matters for us. We can't afford to live there anyway.
    Posted by lemonmelon

I don't know anything about Cambridge schools, but no bad areas in town and a few good ideas doesn't necessarily equal great schools. The whole idea of what constitutes a good school is subjective, and even the highest rated public schools have issues in one form another (private ones too for that matter).  Not hearing complaints also doesn't mean that things are outstanding; my neighbor thinks the local school her son goes to is fine, very good even, but whenever I talk to her about it I am SO grateful I have other options for my kids.

Again, I don't know a thing about Cambridge, maybe I'd find it excellent, too. I just found it odd that you are sort of arguing against Winter's opinion of the schools and seem bothered that she wouldn't choose send her child there. Everyone has different expectations, and I imagine your idea of what constitutes a great school might change a bit when your daughter is old enough to attend. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Lemon I'm not arguing with you but there are bad parts of Cambridge (The projects come to mind and there are about 4 or 5) but there are bad parts of every city/town.  I know all the changes (again my sister works for the school department).  Just know that there are 10 families from Cambridge in my son's class (5th grade).  Their parents chose not to put their kids into the public school system at the elementary level. 
    There are also teachers that my sister knows (and works with) that also put their children in my son's school.  I grew up in Cambridge and lived there for 22 years and I have friends that live their now and they are facing the same education choices that I am.  I went to Cambridge Public schools all 12 years.

ETA:  The kids in my son's class from Cambridge, not all are Catholic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Just wanted to chime in on Arlington's behalf. Minipup, your post made me feel better, as DH and I just bought a house there and also just found out that we're expecting #1. We've heard nothing but great things about the elementary schools here, particularly Brackett and Dallin. I've heard some mixed reviews of the high school, but that's a long way off :) And it does sound like the override will help things. I'm really liking Arlington so far; for us, right now, it's the perfect blend of city and 'burb. I also want to raise my kids, at least while they're small, in a more urban environment where they'll see different types of people, be able to walk everywhere, etc etc. And, we were able to find a (small, but adorable) house with a great backyard, in a quiet and charming neighborhood that's also very close to Mass Ave, shopping, transportation, etc., that's within our budget.

Poppy, what is this Isis place all about? I've heard of it, and know it's related to parenting, and I've driven past it a bunch of times, but really don't know what goes on there. And - good luck in your decision!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

I grew up in Arlington and got a great public school education. I have a sister who still lives there and her kids go to public schools.  In her opinion, the school system is great if you are either academically advanced or challenged.  It's the middle or the road kids that kind of get lost. 

Personally, I don't understand this.  When I graduated from Arlington High there were over 700 kids in my class.  Now it's more like 200.  I would think this would make individual attention much more possible.

When we were looking to buy (20 years ago) we headed South of Boston and ended up in Randolph.  Randolph takes a lot of heat for being a really terrible town.  This is not my experience at all.  I find the cultural diversity very enriching.  I do agree the schools are not great so when it was time for my daughter to start school we looked at several other communities.  When we saw what we would have to pay to keep the same size house we decided to stay put and enroll in private school. My daughter has gone to Catholic school for her entire school career.  She will be a Junior in high school this fall.

We live in a good size house with a nice back yard on a dead end street.  Most of the neighbors have lived on the street for years.  There are always kids in and out of each others houses and yards and everyone looks out for everyone else.  

I guess what I'm saying is don't overlook a town based on only one factor.  You might miss a diamond in the rough.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Tang - congrats on the pending arrival of baby #1.  :)  I saw your bfp post in TTC.  Isis is wonderful - DH and I took all of our prenatal classes through them (breastfeeding, CPR, birthing class (or whatever that is called, I forget now)) and I took prenatal yoga there all throughout my pregnancy.  When DD was around 5 weeks old, I enrolled in a "new moms" group, mainly to get out of the house and meet other new moms.  It was amazing, and 9 months later I still see those other 6 moms/babies at least once per week.  Now my MIL takes DD there every monday for a class, and they both love it.  It's an excellent resource.  They have lactation consultants, sleep consultants, massage therapists... you name it.  I will say, the retail part of the store is quite expensive and I think I've only ever bought 1 or 2 things there.  I really go for the classes/community.

Keane - well said.  DH and I constantly struggle with whether to buy in a town where we can get a large house/yard within our budget, regardless of the current school data, with the knowledge that we might have to send DD to private schools, or go with a town that has had a history of good educational opportunities (not just academics, but other programs as well) but is more expensive, thereby sacrificing a large house.  It's a constant struggle in our minds.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from minipup. Show minipup's posts

Isis in Arlington is wonderful!! It is a 10 minute walk from my house, which I LOVE, and I have been taking my pre-natal yoga classes, a long with all of my other classes as well. When the baby comes, I will be spending LOTS of time there. It is such a great way to meet new moms in the area.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tangerine5. Show Tangerine5's posts

Thanks, poppy! I'm still hesitant to join the August pregnancy board...too superstitious, although maybe after my 6.5wk ultrasound next week, I'll be ready :) Isis sounds amazing - I'll definitely keep that in mind. Is it expensive to partake in all the yoga/classes/groups? Meeting other area moms would be at the top of my list, though, so I'm definitely interested in checking it out down the road.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

The classes are not cheap, however if you become a member, everything is discounted.  I became a member for 1 year and got discount on all of my yoga classes, prenatal classes, and post-birth classes.  It was worth it.  You also get an in-store discount.  Definitely something check out when you're ready!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

The classes at Isis are not cheap, but the one for newborns (great beginnings, I think) was a really good decision for me.  It (a) let me meet a group of awesome people with babies the same age -- I still see them one year later, and (b) forced me to take the baby out of the house by myself.  It was actually the first place I ever took her alone in the car -- 3 weeks old.
    There are lots of free groups for new parents, so if you're a better person than I am, you can just do that.  I kept planning to go to those, but then it just would seem inconvenient and I wouldn't go.  But when it came to the Isis class, I knew I had paid for it and I was going to make darn sure I was there!

Sections
Shortcuts