Toy Story 3?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Toy Story 3?

Michelle, we're kindred spirits on this issue, obviously, and I totally hope you won't stress about your position that has always been less popular than "whatever, whenever." Just ask my grandmother who took flack for not letting her kids watch Dragnet when they were what she deemed to be too little for the crime and punishment theme. Kids will eat steak and sleep with a pillow someday, but no one would let a newborn have a pillow or feed their toddler a big, juicy steak replete with a steak knife. Physical readiness is more obvious and there's a pamphlet in the pedi's office about what to feed when, what is safe to allow in a crib at what ages, etc. Emotional readiness gets the shaft because it's far more nebulous and difficult to determine. Not to mention, with respect to moives, Hollywood spends buccu bucks on getting as many kids to the theater regardless of their ages or emotional maturity as possible within the rules of the rating system. Shielding a child from a steak knife before he's physically able to handle it is a no brainer, but shielding a child from the idea of losing a parent before he's emotionally able to handle it is over-protective. It's not like anyone is suggesting that kids should be 18 before they watch Bambi. It can easily be a matter of the emotional difference between where a child is at 4 verses 5, and attention to that difference is critical imo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

So long as you can look in the mirror and honestly say it is about what your kids are ready for, not about what kind of mommy you want to be, or what kind of mommy you want the world to think you are.

If you find yourself far, far off from the parenting habits of peers who you generally consider to be on the ball, you might want to rethink either your decision or your motives. If your ten year old goes to bed at 8:30 and his peers at 9, not so different...if he goes to bed at 7:30?  Hmmm.  Not letting a 3 year old watch Nemo because it's frightening, OK;  a seven year old?  Hmmm.

There definitely are parents (usually moms) out there who are super restrictive more for their own satisfaction than for what their child actually needs.  You can tell because they seem to enjoy the attention it gets them when their kid doesn't do what the other kids are doing, and have a little smarmy superior but fake-humble song and dance they do to explain.  Instead of "I don't think Johnny is ready for X right now, maybe later," you get, "Well, I guess we're just different from parents these days, I'm really old school on this, I read all the research and well, I just think...their little minds aren't ready, and I'm not judging but, you know, I just worry, and well, sometimes you just have to have your kids be different and hate you to know you're a good mommy...." blah blah blah.  There is one in every crowd and their kid is made a fool of so Mom can pat herself on the back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Lilly, Which Disney movie doesn't involve death?

Bambi
    Finding Nemo
    The Lion King
    The Little Mermaid
    Mulan
    Tarzan
    Beuty and the Beast
    The Incredibles
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame

ANSWER: NONE  of them! There is a death in every movie on my list! - and I'm sure there are more. At 3yo I played Barney DVD's for my kid's.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Bambi and Snow White both scarred (and scared, too) me as a child!  I think it's a good idea to take into consideration your child's personality/temperment along with their developmental stage when deciding whether or not to show a movie.  Most fairy tales involve the mother getting killed!  This might really upset some kids; other kids might not even really notice or pay attention.  And a lot of them involve grownups trying to harm children/take advantage of their innocence.

Again, some kids may not notice or be bothered, but some might.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

BTW, if this type of stuff bothers you don't ever read or watch the Golden Compass series.  Although I actually loved the books, they were extremely upsetting in parts, all revolving around children.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Then there's my uncle who, after much badgering from his youngest son, let him watch "Child's Play" (yep, Chucky himself) at about age 5 and he STILL has nightmares about it to this day and is mad at his father for allowing him to watch it (he's 26 now).  ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pc, parents who don't cave to peer pressure are simply playing the martyr card for attention? Wow. You didn't say that all parents do this, but let me get it out there that my mom learned from hers that the entertainment industry doesn't have her child's best interest at heart, she does, and it's her judgment that counts not Hollywood's or anyone else's. Emotional maturity is a real thing, a fluid, evolving thing. What's OK for one four year old might not be OK for another until they are more mature. Not all kids grow phyically at the same rate, but if Johnny's mom says that Johnny can't ride the rollercoaster because he's not tall enough while other kids his age all have grown past the "you must be this tall" line is she being a drama queen? Emotional maturity might not be able to be measured on the wall, but it comes at different ages for different kids, in growth spurts, just like bone length and physical height. Telling a mom of a child she knows is on the immature side that she's being a drama queen to not let her child watch something she knows will upset them more than other kids his age is totally uncalled for. Munchausen by proxy is real and lesser sick displays of that sort do exisit so some moms do it for attention, but I can't imagine it's the majority of them. Misslily is concerned enough to start the thread, and she's not a drama queen and doesn't do things to get others' attention. I get the very srong impression, in fact, that she parents out of a deep sense of what is right for her kids and nothing else matters to her in regard to her parenting decisions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Roger - that's why we watch Cars, Aristocats, Lady and the Tramp, Toy Story 1, and Milo & Otis. No death in those. My twins are only three - there is plenty of time for them to watch lots of movies.
    I'm basically trying to let them see new things without scaring them. They aren't interested in Sesame Street. They love George - but I think they are a little bored with it. Thomas doesn't seem to interest them much either. I have a friend who doesn't own a TV. Her six year old has never seen anything!
    And I don't let them watch much TV - I suppose it's on everyday while I'm preparing dinner for 20-30 minutes. And since they stopped napping I put something on occasionally if I think they need a "rest" during the afternoon.
    Anyway - I am interested in everyone's opinions. And I certainly wasn't trying to say my choices are better than others, or slam Disney movies in general.
    I think I was just a little shocked at TS3 - it really was quite different and more grown up than TS1 or TS2 IMHO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

I'm sure they are out there, but I can't imagine that most parents, or "mothers" who limit what their children watch are doing it to get attention or to make the world think they are a certain kind of parent.  That suggestion sounds completely absurd to me. As Kar said, it only seems to make people think worse of you, not win you friends.  I have a couple of friends (thank goodness) who are on the same wavelength about media, and they too, keep it to themselves unless it's unavoidable.  I know I usually don't have the popular choice, and I try to keep it to myself because of people like Purplecow, who instead of respecting my decisions that I feel are in my children's best interest, get defensive and insulting toward me, and apparently think my only motivation is to make them feel inferior. 

I never gave it much thought until I actually had children, and my only motivating factor for any of it is what I think is best for THEM and their emotional health, not me. In fact, it's much harder to monitor everything, which is why many people can't be bothered, even if they know they should pay closer attention. I started to think of how their minds work and how they might view something they see or what they'd feel about it, based on their limited experiences. Even my own grandmother, years ago, when I asked her to please shut the tv off said, "What, they can't even watch the news?!"  Um, no, they can't.  (And no, I am not one of those people who will go to anyone's house and tell them what to do but this was my grandmother, and I know she'd rather shut it off and roll her eyes than have me leave).

When my son was in preschool and his friends loved all the Star Wars movies and other parents thought it weird that my kids weren't interested in their toys, I just said, "Yeah, they haven't taken a liking to Star Wars yet", and left it at that.  I never said, "You're crazy, I would never a 3 year old see those movies because I want you to think that I think I'm better than you.  I have about 100 similar examples of tv shows, movies, etc. I just kept my mouth shut unless someone suggesting watching it with them.

This spring, my 11 year old was invited to a movie for a friend's birthday. The mother gave a choice between Safe House, rated R, and Man on a Ledge, rated PG-13.  I was trying to figure out what I should do but my son said he didn't even want to see either one and he'd just stay home.  Since he was one of only 3 kids invited, rather than decline and leave the kid with no party guests, I reluctantly told the mother that my son doesn't feel comfortable seeing that kind of movie yet, but that I didn't want to ruin the birthday boy's fun so he could just meet up with them for the dinner afterwards.  They ended up picking something more appropriate and I thanked her.  I wanted to say, "Are you for real, lady?!" lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I am not saying any of the people here are doing it, but yes, *SOME* parents truly enjoy the attention and ego boost it gets them to do things differently.  No matter what on earth is going on, they have to do the opposite, or do it just a bit differently, or ask if little Murgatroid can have something other than what everyone else is eating/drinking/watching/wearing.  I've met them, they are insufferable, and their kids are miserable.

Susie can't come to the Christmas party because they are going to put on the old Grinch cartoon and she's not allowed to watch TV.  Bobby can't go to Freddy's birthday party at the Party Place because the food served there isn't healthy and he will drop dead if he eats a chicken nugget or a slice of pizza once or twice a year.  Mary Jane who is in fourth grade can only go on a movie play date with her fourth grade friend if it's a G movie *and* Mom comes too so she can mediate her child's experience with the outside world.

Kids with absolutely no disabilities, special medical needs, no kosher/halal/allergic diets, no reason except Mommy decided to write an eleventh commandment.  It's within your right to do anything you want short of molesting, starving, or beating your kid with a stick--but it doesn't make it a good idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think you know an unusually large number of truly disturbed people.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Michelle - I think I agree with what you're saying. I'm always astounded to see Star Wars and Harry Potter Halloween costumes for pre-schoolers. I'm scratching my head thinking "How do they know about those characters?" I would never let my 3 year old twins watch either Harry or Star Wars - and I love both myself. And I would never let my 3 year old children watch the news.
    Purplecow does have a point. I met a mom of 6 year old twins and she boasted to me that the only video they have ever seen is the Nutcracker. In six years she has never shown them anything else. I thought that was really weird. She was quite proud of herself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was the only kid in kindergarten I knew who had not been taken to Star Wars (1977), much to my well-remembered chagrin. But, my mom didn't announce it like it was a badge of honor; she kept those types of things to herself unless someone asked. That Nutcracker kid is going to hate the ballet, and everything about that situation is weird.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

In Response to Re: Toy Story 3?:
    [QUOTE]I think you know an unusually large number of truly disturbed people.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    heh heh.  I agree!  I don't know where purplecow lives, but I don't want to move to that town.  I feel like the people she knows have given a similar tenor to her responses to many of our quandaries on these boards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

DVD's were a huge help when my kid's were young! Disney Channel too!

Barney is great "safe" entertainment - although watching and listening to the DVD's for both kids for what seemed like years caused my heavy drinking problem.....just kidding!

Bear in the Big Blue House was awesome too. As a matter of fact I took my daughter to see the live production of Bear in the Big Blue House.  I bought two seats - only needed one, she sat on my lap and water just streamed from her eyes she wouldn't blink for what seemed like the entire show! She loved it.

As others have pointed out, it's all about what the parent deems age appropriate, and there is something for every age. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I'm going to admit to not censoring too many things for our 4 year old. We've watched most of the movies mentioned and just about everything not age appropriate goes right over her head.  But I caught the end of TS3 at Grammy's house (after DD1 had seen it a dozen times) and thought it was wicked scary! Her not so much.

When she was 2-3 years old her favorite movies were Land Before Time movies.  Someone is always being attacked by sharp tooths in those movies but she was never scared.

I'm sure she has seen at least parts of Star Wars because daddy and I are huge fans and I find most of the content isn't scary for her.  However when DD1 was 2 we did have to adjust our TV watching.  Shows like CSI and such started to freak her out (as evidenced by the nightmares that stopped after we stopped watching the shows in front of her).

When I was in college, I went to see Anastasia (totally not ashamed to admit we owned all Disney/Pixar movies pre kids and on our last date night we saw Brave which I will not be taking my DD to see) and knew right then and there that I'd prescreen as much as possible.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I let my kid's watch the 3 Stooges when they were about 6 & 4....I remember my daughter coming into the kitchen to tell me at the beginning of an episode that "the TV's broken!" I went into the living room to check the TV.  The TV was fine I said, and my daughter says "but there's no color!"......I had to explain why there was no color, and no they never acted out anything from watching them.  What was hysterical was to listen to them laughing at all the same stupid stuff I laughed at when I was a kid watching them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dz, you are not alone, lol. I had a med school roommate in college (she was in med, not me), and she watched so many Disney movies so many times in a row I have some of them memorized, especially The Little Mermaid. I started to hate them, but it's been 20 years so I'm probably over it. ;) RT, interesting - my grandparents didn't allow Dragnet, but did allow the Stooges, and my uncle, especially, thought it was hilarious. they never acted the stupid stunts out, either. I think it was so over the top slap stick that it wouldn't occur to most kids to emulate it, and the Stooges weren't known for adult themes, lol.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Well - there will be no 3 stooges watching chez Lily. I cannot stand them.
    And no, we don't watch any TV in front of them. No CSI, NCIS, news etc.

All of a sudden they've decided they like Kipper. Found it on Sprout. It's really benign and only 10 minutes long. I am sorry they have gotten bored with Curious George. I could watch those over and over (and we have).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Kipper is big in our house.  I love that it's 9/10 min long, and it's very calm and quiet.  The British accents don't hurt, either. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hate the stooges, too, actually...like nails down a chalkboard. When I was little I had trouble understanding the British accent...my grandparents would be laughing uproariously at Faulty Towers, and I remember wondering what on earth was being said and getting super frustrated...I think I was five or so.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

DS is a huge TS fan! Though half the time in TS3 he asks to turn it off. With every movie we watch it with him and explain things to him. Try to pull out the moral lessons in the movies-if there are any! Like Nemo and Lion King-best to always listen to your parents...Disney makes some really twisted movies! And we always sit and watch any new movies with DS as he watches them the first few times. But a lot of the adult content and scarier death parts go way over DS' head.

On a recommendation from our neighbor I rented from the library  the Land Before Time DVDs...yeah, I turned it off after only a few minutes! I was horrified! So scary!

Even Cars 2 annoys me with all the spy fighting!

Its tough to find good movies, that hold the 3 year olds attention (mama needs to get some stuff done sometimes) that aren't riddled with fighting, death and weird messages.

Curious George is still big in our house-which I'm thankful for I actually enjoy it and love how they show the science projects after the episodes. DS really likes Dolphin tale too. I'm dying to see Up! :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm starting to be glad Curious George is the only show (I know of that) DD watches at daycare.  From your reviews, it sounds like it wouldn't be too torturous if we started watching at home :o)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

Ill recommend some good ones DD seems to enjoy more than others.

Happy Feet 1 and 2
    All the Ice Ages
    Madagascar
    Lion King Sing Along (any sing along for that matter)  We also have a disney one that she loves
    Charlottes Web
    Bolt
    Alice and In Wonderland

The ones above I feel are pretty kid friendly with no obstusive parts.  Although DD has seen most of the disney ones, like I said before they do seem to go over her head.  If she gets scared by something, I do shut it right off. 

Regarding Cars 2.  I have tried to watch that and I think it is hard for an adult to get the plot of that.  It is everywhere.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

DS's current favorite movie is Mighty Joe Young (the new one) which I haven't seen in ages but boy are my in laws sick of it!  You can't even say the name or he just starts asking for it, Mi Jo Yug.  Really it is so cute since he really can't talk yet.