Toy Story 3?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Toy Story 3?

Fra - I love George and so does DH. Even my parents ask me to load the DVD with George when they come and sit incase they need some TV time.
    The stories are cute and usually have a learning element to them (numbers, colors, putting things in order, animals, the environment etc.).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

I have one friend, who I think is close to what PurpleCow is describing, who was so over the top with her child about restrictions, and was very verbal about them, almost like a badge of honor.  At a BBQ gathering, one friend, with young nieces, brought over juice boxes.  100% juice.  My friend was like "NOOOOOO.  We don't DO those here!" in a very demeaning way.  As if any kid who drinks a juice box ever is contaminated.  I believe I didn't have DS yet and I was even offended a bit, not to mention the girl bringing the juice.  This mom allowed her child absolutely no TV, ever.  She turned 6 and my friend, now trying to have a WFH career, has tried to put on a movie/show for her daughter.  No luck.  She absolutely won't sit still and has no interest in watching anything.  I was shocked when my friend admitted "wow, that really backfired!"

So I do think these people somewhat exist, but hopefully are very far and few between.  But I absolutley trust any and all parents for deciding their child's movie/computer/video game viewing based on them knowing their child best.  I am 37 and absolutely cannot watch a horror movie.  This is just who I am... and my mom knows this :-)

I watch the Stooges, and other comedies like this, with my jaw on the floor wondering who in the world finds this funny.  And then hear laughter and actual giggles from my DH :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My son (12 in 5 weeks) is going into 6th grade. There is a girl in his class she will be 11 (not sure how she got in, but that's another story). They watch no TV, and she's not allowed on the computer at all. It's become a problem for her because there was a project that if it was typed/neat (presentation) you got more points. Well every project but hers was typed. The mom complained and then accused other parents of doing the work for their kids.  In fifth grade today children should need to type up their papers, reports. This family has a computer they just chose to shelter there daughter from it. Granted I can see online access but to do her homework. 

I'm struggling with my son wanting an email address. Many in his class do, but I haven't made my decision yet. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Winter, my son is the exact same age as yours.  At our school, they teach touch typing in 4th grade, and he typed several assignments for school this past year in 5th grade.  They actually even set each student up with an email account (that can only send and receive message within the school network). He had to send some assignments electronically to his teacher at night, and had to contribute frequently to a conversation with his teacher on a private blog page.  Sometimes he'd even communicate with the science teacher and librarian for certain assignments.  Like you said, internet access is one thing, but those parents keeping their daughter from even typing is absurd!

As for an email address suggestion - my son has had his own email for about a year now.  I had originally set it up so he could stay in touch with people over the summer.  It is on my comcast account, and I have it set up so anything that comes to his email also comes through to mine.  He uses it very infrequently, but it comes in handy occasionally.  I like that I automatically see everything, so I will be the first to know if there is anything inappropriate.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm 36 now and growing up, my parents had a "no TV on weeknights" rule.  After school we'd be outside or at activities or playing inside or doing homework, then dinner as a family, homework, and reading before bed.  They followed the rule for themselves, too, so would only watch TV once we were safely asleep.  When the Cosby Show started, my dad wanted to watch it, so the rule was amended: we could watch Cosby (and occasionally Family Ties) if our homework was done, baths/showers done, in PJs with teeth brushed. 

I asked my parents how they come up with the rule, and neither even remembers, but I think it was a great one!  Right now, DD and I will usually watch one show when she gets home from daycare, to help us both unwind, but otherwise, the TV is off until she's in bed.  I will admit that on weekend mornings, DH will be in the living room with her with Jack Hanna animal shows or Curious George on, but she's only into it about half the time. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Michelle that is what I am leaning towards setting up one through our Verizon account so that I see and get everything he is. Then there will be rules that he can't delete anything.

His school does put homework assignments on a website and they can post questions to students and the teacher. 

I found it odd as well since his school has computer class starting in first grade.  I guess she did some assignments during a free session but was uanble to for the Science Fair project.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Luv, boy that post brought back memories.  How badly I wished they'd switch Cosby and Family Ties.  Bedtime was 8:30 for me and I was allowed to watch Cosby with my parents, but then up to bed.  I liked Cosby for sure and really loved that I got to watch it, but had such a crush on Michael J Fox that I felt so distraught I missed him every week.  And knowing my parents were watching it downstairs was even worse!  And of course, there was no DVR back then.  You miss it, you miss it!

I will say, I definitely had a very strict TV rule, never had one in my room (like most of my friends did, and never a phone in my room either).  But I do recall my parents watching the news, NOVA, Ch 2 programming and then occasionally the comedies (like Cosby) almost every night.  I know the news can be scary, but I don't feel now that I was/am scarred by it.  I'm sure since my Dad was always planted in front of the TV for the news, I clearly saw it and/or caught glimpses.  I really miss the 6:30pm news since that is when we are doing bath/teeth/pjs/stories.  I certainly wouldn't read DS his bedtime stories with the news in the background, but we won't be having a "No TV anytime DS is awake" rule in our house.  Just doesn't fit with our TV viewing lifestyle - Sat morning, 6am, the news is on as we all have our coffee/milk/become awake time.  There won't be "Black Hawk Down" when DS is playing legos in front of the TV, but cooking shows (which are always on at our home) and then news, I don't mind him catching site of.  Just my personal opinion that works for us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

IPW, just a thought about the news. They used to warn parents that the following story would not be appropriate for all ages so often kids of our generation were distracted, the channel got changed temporarily, or whatever, without our knowledge so we wouldn't remember their having done that (if they did). We'd have a memory of "watching the news" but no memory of being shielded from anything when parents were advised to do so. Today, there are no such warnings and graphic stories of shootings and such are commonplace. If I were 5 and watched any coverage of the recent movie or temple shootings, I'd be afraid to go to the movies or church, I think. I'm not disagreeing with you, per se, just pointing out that back then you might not have been exposed to as much as it seems like you were just because you remember watching the news.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Exactly, Kar! I know I would also be afraid to go to the movies or church if I heard the recent stories as a child. I couldn't even help but feel slightly uncomfortable at the movies last Saturday.  My kids are far from babies, and my 11 year old is very mature and intelligent, but as far as I know they don't know about those shootings, and frankly, I'd rather they not find out for the time being.  I want them to know what is going on in the world - to a point. Of course I am not trying to shield them from all reality, but it's so hard for adults to rationalize some of these crazy things, and kids are much more self centered and depending on the kid, they will basically expect that to happen to them, and that's a crappy way to live. There are often shootings and stabbings in Boston, and that would not be lost on my 9 year old.  We go into Boston frequently, and I would bet a million dollars that he would start refusing to go, and I'd eventally figure out it was because he heard on the news that someone got shot.  My parents often had the news on when I was a kid, and I don't specifically remember being upset by it, but I also wasn't drawn to listen to it because it wasn't nearly as sensationalized and distorted as it is today.  They used to say something once and if you blinked you missed it, and it seemed boring to me. Now, it's like one big advertisement, "Coming up we're going to tell you about 'blank', 'blank' and 'blank'!", then eventually they officially tell you, with not many more details than the first four or five times they advertised what they were going to tell you.  Also, I'm pretty certain that when we were kids they would never talk about some random "reality" star or other celebrity's antics on the nightly news like they often do today. And don't even get me started on commercials...  

I found this recent article about tv viewing and sleep that the Center for Media and Child Health posted on Facebook, interesting:

Just another interesting Q&A:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The local news now is all police blotter - stabbings, shootings, fires. That's why we don't watch in front of the kids. Who needs the news anyway - I only watch for the weather and it's just as easy to check weather.com.

Life is long and you're only a kid for a short time (seems shorter and shorter) so I see no reason to have them grow up too fast.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Agreed Misslily I rarely if ever have the news on while with my kids.  Now that they are older if they have any questions about a news story they want to know about....Google is the answer.

When I was a kid growing up I scanned the Boston Globe every morning before my 2 mile walk to school.  I got enough info that helped when a news topic was being discussed in school.