toys gifts for 71/2 yr old boy and 101/2 yr old girl

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

toys gifts for 71/2 yr old boy and 101/2 yr old girl

So my niece and nephew have told their mother they "don't have enough toys." they have plenty of legos, board games, and other stuff, but would like a few toys.  I've asked for christmas gift ideas for them, and this is what my sister said.  So I ask you:

WHAT are TOYS for an almost 8 yr old boy and an almost 11 yr old girl??? Seriously!?!?

I'm a director of a childcare center, I know GREAT toy gifts for children 5 years and under, but as they get older it's been harder and harder every year to buy gifts and feel like they'll enjoy them.

So, any ideas?  I'm thinking of open-ended (my education degree talking) toys for them, but what??

In my experience Toys R Us is useless unless you want to buy an electricity-driven thing (I don't) so my husband's idea of going to toys r us for ideas won't work, I don't think.

Thanks for any ideas you have.  I'll also give them a few books, each, because I believe in books, but it's the toy thing that has me stumped at this age.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

Re: toys gifts for 71/2 yr old boy and 101/2 yr old girl

Hmmm...I don't know if these qualify as "toys" but these are some of the things we've gotten for neices and nephews that have been hits:

--a 3-D globe puzzle
    --robot-making kit
    --jewelry-making kit
    --microscope kit
    --constellations projector and guide
    --karaoke video game

Hopefully you'll get some other ideas, too. Good luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

CT - I've started getting lots of kids catalogs - even ones that have stuff much too old for my 2 year old twins.
    Lots of great stuff at
    www.mindware.com
    and
    www.hearthsong.com

The toys in these two catalogs look like lots of fun for older kids.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

We have the same age niece/nephews, but our gifts have also been veering away from what I would really call "toys".
    I have been a big fan of "kits" for them, like where you make jewelry or a different kind of craft, or build something from wood or wire.  Klutz makes some and they have a lot of that kind of thing in smaller toy stores.  Maybe Toys R Us as well, but I haven't searched it out there.
    Not toys per se, but they got excited last year when we did a donation to WWF in their name (world wildlife -- not wrestling!) and the donation came with a stuffed animal and a certificate.
    Also, my grown up brother also likes to get "toys" for presents, and my dad has gotten us some cool stuff: helicopters that you put together and launch, a pig-flinging catapault, that sort of thing.  They might only get played with for a little while, but relatively inexpensive and we have a ton of fun with them.  Again, found through quirky shops, and also, for whatever reason, they have a ton of stuff like that at Urban Outfitters -- some kid-friendly and some not.  Not sure if you have that store where you are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

My 9 year old really wants these Kapla blocks. We saw them in a store recently and they were pretty cool.  He said he thought $100 was a lot for them so he'd just get them from Santa, since he can make them. Tongue Out They do have smaller sets as well.

Not sure where you live, but we saw them at this new store at the Northshore Mall, and they had a lot of other cool things in there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Oh, I think this is sweet and fairly age-appropriate, especially for a girl on the cusp of jr high/high school.  Sounds like that last, "I'm not ready for all this stuff!" push.  

The age spread and the fact that it's a boy/girl-gift situation make it a bit tougher; most of the cool toys for 8+ skew heavily boy.  

Check out Land of Nod -- I found some snow-ball mold toys and snow-brick molds that we're getting for our neighbors' four boys (ages 7-13).  Assuming they're in a snowy climate, that is.  If not, you could do a warmer-weather outdoor toy thing ... and I think any of Kiwi's suggestions are good, too.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Zulily also has good toy boutiques, but their shipping is SLOW.  We got the boys next door some propelled velcro catch game last year that BARELY made it for Christmas Eve.  I think it's name was "FWAP!" or something b/c it made a loud noise when used.  

The "I can't believe you f***ing did this to me" look on their mom's face filled me with holiday joy.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

If you're interested in an activity instead of more "stuff," check out Sky Zone, a local indoor trampoline park.  We had a blast, and it's a great activity to combat the winter blahs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

oh- didn't even think of this until this morning, but what about a remote control car or something? those are "more mature" (adult males play with them!)

for the girl, I am not sure how "Stereotypical girl" she is, but I remember this barbie head thing that was lifesize, and you could practice styling her hair.  I taught myself to french braid on it around this age.