Tween Girls

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Re: Tween Girls

There's a place in the Legacy Mall in Dedham called Make Meaning, it's sort of a cool, crafting place.  A cool environment for that age group, and a wide variety of projects to choose from.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, JC, you could get her addicted to Spell Tower (ahem) and then you'd never have to worry about entertaining her, LOL!  :)  I'm up to 9000+ in Rush Mode, thank you.

Sorry, no real suggestion, just a shout out to say hi. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

The toy stores seem to have all these cute crafting kits for girls that age. Making friendship bracelets, beading, etc. I think they look great and can't wait until my DD is old enough for them. Maybe give some of those things a try.

I also loved to cook at that age. Making cookies, or bread from scratch was always fun.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Definitely, cooking!  Not only do you have a fun togetherness thing to do, but dinner (or dessert) to boot. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

I'm not a mom....but I had two tween (they are now teens - a whole different animal) girl cousins who I spent a lot of time with and it's definitely an interesting age.  They start to act a bit like teens, but when all is said and done, they are still kids at heart.  So they still love kid humor & kid movies (Diary of a Wimpy Kid was a huge hit with them) and like others have suggested, they also enjoyed hands on things like arts & crafts plus baking.  I also noticed that they love groups of people at that age possibly more than one-on-one.  It doesn't even matter who is in the group, they just like to surround themselves with people.

But at that age they LOVE story telling, and dancing, and acting out stuff, and laughing over silly hair do's and food stuck in their teeth.  They are still really willing to learn & play at the beach or the museum (but make it fun) or on a walk (with a dog?) in the woods.  Hide & Go seek at night in the house with all of the lights off, or even scary(ish) films with mattresses on the living room floor and lots of pillows to cover their faces were all favorites.   Imagination based on reality is huge at this age, and they like to construct things themselves, like invent their own plays or movies or situations.  For instance pretending to be a lawyer, or having a "tea" party, but not with stuffed animals - with other people, all dressed up and ladies in brimmed hats.  Greek mythology, or Egyptian history could all bring out some fun play ideas. They love to dress up!  And those I know also loved animals, so playing with animals at an adoption clinic or having them help at one is also an idea (if they won't beg you to take them home).

They also enjoy cards and board games, a lot!  Again, things that involve as many people as possible has always been the theme I've noticed with tween girls.

They are terribly fun at this age, even when they get moody (well maybe not then).  

But it sounds like you are doing all the right things.  I'm sure she's happy - you'd know it if she wasn't!

Oh and they LOVE root beer floats out of swirly straws, or at least those I know did!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Tweens are a bit old for the kiddie crafting kits (and be careful, you can end up spending $20 for two tablespoons of beads and some string).

An art or beading class might be better, or to do it at home get a basic but "real" art kit.

As for cooking, how about looking up something interesting on line and shopping and cooking something new?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Purple, some tweens are more childlike, others more adult.  Heck, when I was 6 I asked how many more years of childhood I had to live through before being considered an adult.  My mom said 12.  I counted down in earnest to "adulthood" every year following.  So, as you can imagine, when I was a tween I was going on 30.  But, some of my peers were still playing with dolls.  I didn't get it, LOL.

Oh, I know what I liked to do!  My mom scoured the local community college offerings for kids my age.  I took a pottery class, and she still uses the bowl I made for jewelry on her vanity.  It's not even that ugly. :)  And, I also took a candle-making class, but those are long since burned.  I remember doing them and how they looked, though.  I was very proud of them.  

Anything I could learn that was just like what adults really do (not a watered down kid version) was tons of fun for me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

She sounds like me at that age, too, not into sports, but not the princess-y kind of girly.

I did love craft stuff a lot at that age - if the kits don't seem "old" enough, you could hit up the internet (Martha Stewart?) or magazines for ideas and then the craft stores like Michael's or AC Moore for supplies.  Picking out the project and the supplies could definitely be part of the fun.

I also love the planning/shopping/cooking idea, and piggybacking on what fakinbacon said, you could do theme dinners and make decorating the table (and maybe "dressing for dinner") part of the theme.

Also wondering if there is anything you like to do (or would like to learn to do!) that you could bring her into.  Sewing?  Gardening (as the weather gets warmer)?  Charity work like playground clean ups or painting?  Also, although I had my nose in a book and needed a little push to get outside sometimes, I loved and remember fondly when we would try stuff like walks in the woods and whatnot.  Good luck with whatever you decide!  Just the fact that you want to do things with her is nice and she will appreciate it in the long run - even if you start to get teenage pushback.  :)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Would she enjoy visiting an animal sanctuary?  

Maybe she's too old for that... but you did mention she loves animals.

http://www.winslowfarm.com/

http://www.wolfhollowipswich.org/

Sunday, May 19th - NVHS Annual Walk for Animals at Borderland State Park, North Easton       http://www.neponsethumane.org/news-events.php

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

http://www.almainc.org/index.html

This place is interesting,  experience a different culture!

Eta:  Does she like the theater?     I would recommend a matinee at ART.

http://www.americanrepertorytheater.org/events/current/44

I saw my first play at around that age, fond memories.

North Shore Music Theater was a fun place also, not sure what's going on there now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like your gardening idea, too.  My nephews grew up in the garden with their mom, and I am sure that when they have their own homes they will have gardens (they are late teens, now).  It's definitely a good bet she'll enjoy learning and getting dirty with you out there and eating the produce!  I'm not the gardener in the family, but DH said something about starting the spinach seeds next week (in pots inside, of course).  That's one of the earliest crops, and you can keep planting more all the way through Fall.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

If kits are bad (what do I know...my kids are 3 1/2) then I'd hit Michael's for some inspiration. I have a friend with tweens and they even like the "soap making" kits there. You melt glycerine soap in the microwave - color it with dyes and/or glitter and pour it into cute molds. More fun than candles since they can use the soap!

I always go to Michaels thinking i'll spend $20 and end up spending $80 - mostly on stickers!Lots of books there too with crafting ideas. There is one called "Upcycling" about reusing old things and crafting them into new stuff that I read about in Parent's magazine. (Maybe check on Amazon for reviews)

There are also some really cute cookbooks aimed at kids. I got one at Magic Beans that i'm saving for when my kids are older. Step by step instructions with lots of pictures. Healthy and fun foods.

Get some freezepops and make your own popsicles! I just bought Weelicious cookbook and it had lots of popsicle ideas - I'm sure you can find some recipes online.

My nieces loved knitting for a while - maybe age 10 or so?

I learned to needlepoint and loved to hook rugs at that age - again kits - but perhaps more sucessful than the ones in the toy dept. Available at Joann Fabric and probably Michaels.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Omg, the happy memories you just brought back, misslily.  I did all that and it just wasn't coming to mind.  I crocheted, did needlepoint, and hooked rugs at 10.  In fact, I bought a hooked rug kit for my niece last year...never heard if she liked it, though.  I still crochet avidly so it could end up being a lifetime hobby.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

Here's a tutorial for making beads which I want to go try now, I just don't know what I'd do with the beads!

http://www.daftcrafts.net/2013/03/how-to-make-rainbow-cane-slice-beads.html

And yes, MissLily and Kar...I also did that stuff around that age too which brought back great memories.  Totally forgot, and I was a very athletic tomboy type and still enjoyed it.  Also, friendship bracelets were a hit for me made with embroidery thread or gimp!!  Gimp!! It's been a while!  You could even help her create her own "website" (weebly has a super simple template) and try to sell some of her crafts.  Create a budget and time how long it takes her to make things and then see what they should be priced for.  Or - you could donate them to a Children's hospital once they are complete.

And I still love coloring eggs.  And you are totally going about it the right way by finding a more complex Easter Egg coloring method than just the dip method.  Also - hiding eggs for my little sister was also a lot of fun around this time, perhaps she could help hide eggs somewhere too?

And as for the animal thing, I would have been the type begging to take them all home with me.  But some places do have interesting programs for tweens.  One of my favorite shelters (though it may be far) is the MSPCA in Methuen.  I'm almost certain they have tween programs available.

Good luck!  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

I just went to Winslow farm this morning for their easter egg hunt.  It's a really quaint, small animal sanctuary.  You can get really close to the animals, which was pretty unique and fun.

I mention it because it seems to be staffed by tweenish kids, so that might be a good activity or volunteer opportunity if you live in the area.

Also, if you're planning to get a dog, you should consider fostering.  Most breeds have rescue programs and it's a great way to get a feel for dog ownership, and see what sort of dog you might like to own someday.

If you're interested in any local charities, consider participating or hosting a fundraiser.  That can be a lot of fun.

21. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts