Walking

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SDCMom. Show SDCMom's posts

Walking

Hi, my son starting "cruising" at 13 months. He is now 14.5 months and still won't walk on his own. He has taken a few steps and was pleased with himself, but has since stopped and I am not sure why. He insists on walking everywhere but won't let go of your finger and do it on his own. I can't figure out what changed as he didn't fall, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtangent. Show movingtangent's posts

Re: Walking

This is normal.  Some kids walk early and fall a lot.  Others take their time and then when they do start to walk on their own they are already more proficcient at it and don't fall as much.  Its a learning curve thing.  In 2 months he'll be running everywhere (and rarely falling).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

[QUOTE]Hi, my son starting "cruising" at 13 months. He is now 14.5 months and still won't walk on his own. He has taken a few steps and was pleased with himself, but has since stopped and I am not sure why. He insists on walking everywhere but won't let go of your finger and do it on his own. I can't figure out what changed as he didn't fall, etc. Any thoughts? Thanks
    Posted by ldockser[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry, he hasn't been cruising very long; it takes a while to get your sealegs and balance.  Some babies start cruising and therefore walking earlier than others.  The only thing I'd add is if he has had MANY ear infections you may want to consider that his balance is a bit off because of chronic fluid in his ear; one child (of many later walkers I've known - I direct an infant/toddler childcare center so I know many!) with chronic ear infections and therefore chronic fluid had tubes put in her ears and not only did her language pick up, she started walking on her own within a few days so it obviously was affecting her balance. But that's an extreme, most probably your son is just on the outer edge of the spectrum of when children walk.  He'll get it, don't worry!  (or at least, 141/2 months isn't the time to worry).  Oh, when he walks holding your hands, do his feet still turn out so that he looks like a ballet dancer or have they switched so they are facing forward?  Until they are facing forward he'll not walk much as he doesn't have the balance.

Finally, if you are really worried, then speak with your pediatrician and ask for an evaluation.

Is he talking alot? Some children who speak early are focusing on that skill and therefore don't have the space in their brain to process walking. Other children are walking by 9 months (lord help you, that's a mess!) but don't say more than a handful of words 20 months or more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Has your son started walking yet?