way OT -- washing china

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

way OT -- washing china

Sorry in advance for the off-topic, but I can't subject myself to the insane rantings on other parts of BDC. I've seen  you guys talk about china before. My mom just gave me my great-grandmother's set. Can I put it in the dishwasher? I would like to use it for christmas dinner, but I don't want to wash a million things by hand after 2 days of slaving away.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: way OT -- washing china

I would not put it in the dishwasher.  If it belonged to your great grandmother, I doubt that it would meet the requirements to stand up to the intense heat of a dishwasher.  I'm sure there will be ready hands to help clean up after Christmas dinner, and many hands make light work.  Well worth the extra effort to use dishes for a holiday meal that are so full of memories of past generations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: way OT -- washing china:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure there will be ready hands to help clean up after Christmas dinner
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah? Were you here last year?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Lemon, I'd avoid putting them in the dishwasher. I know it's a PITA, but it's best to handwash.  If they don't have any metallic or other embellishments, you 'could' theoretically put them on the top shelf [assuming you have a new, top of the line dishwasher that has the 'fine china' setting] and put it on a delicate cycle, and not run the heater or dryer portion of the cycle and just dry them by hand.  I wouldn't chance it if they were my dishes though. 

I get a couple of basins and fill w/ warm soapy water and keep them off to the side of the kitchen and clean them after everyone has left.  Otherwise, there is no room in the kitchen while I'm cleaning up or trying to get dessert ready.  It's a royal PITA but it's worth it to make sure the dishes don't get damaged.  GL!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sorry to say, as much as I love to toss a party's worth of dishes in the dishwasher as much as the next gal, I have to strongly agree with the others.  I believe the dishwashing detergent can etch the finish on the china, and it might not even withstand the heat without cracking.  I'd wholeheartedly assume it's not dishwasher safe.

Maybe invest in a nice display case. ;)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Thanks, ladies. I think it's actually my grandmother's, since my great-grandmother was an Irish refugee. Dur. I'm not super into the pattern anyway, it's not anything like what I'd get myself. It has wheat on it. But it does have some metal around the edges, and it's old, so I guess I'll put it back in a box until I hire a maid. I thought that maybe you could put it in the dishwasher since it's supposed to be strong, right? Doesn't it have bone ground into it? At any rate, my Christmas is shaping up to be fairly complicated, and even if anyone wanted to help in the kitchen, ours  only accommodates two people, and even then it's a constant negotiation for space. And our sink is one of those crazy antique porcelain double sinks, so pretty much anything we put into it shatters. My grandmother would have wanted me to have a dishwasher, I'm sure. She was a flapper, and they celebrated modernity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

How do you store or display it, anyway? It's still in the original straw and contemporary newspapers (my grandmother died young). It's  probably the only full set I own of anything. Can you just stack it up?

Yes, I was raised by wolves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, it is strong if it's bone china, and if it was your grandmother's it's probably the real deal.  However, it still probably isn't terribly heat resistant; that's a different kind of strong (as opposed to resistant to chipping if you bump it on the counter).  And, that gold is not dishwasher safe to be sure; it will etch off.

I don't have china to display, didn't register for it and never want to deal with it - nor did anyone before me in my family.  However, I do know (how, I don't know) it can scratch if you stack them with nothing in between.  They sell sets to put between the dishes like this one:  China storage protection pads  There are also china cabinets made for displaying them in the dining room over a hutch.
    And you took these because...?  Wink

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm a sucker for heirlooms.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, you have kiddos - maybe you can off load, oh, I mean maybe they'll be superbly interested in their great-grandmother's china. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

Hi Lemon,
    As for the storage... I don't have nor do I want a china cabinet or hutch.  So I opted for the cloth storage cases, similar to: http://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Complete-China-Storage-Quality/dp/B000KJ77MK ... I got mine at the Container Store, but there are lots of places to find them.  Now they are safely stacked in one of my kitchen cabinets. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

You know, we have TWO china cabinets. But they're full of stuff that isn't china. I like the look of those bag things, and they're totally affordable. Thanks!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Well, you have kiddos - maybe you can off load, oh, I mean maybe they'll be superbly interested in their great-grandmother's china. :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    She already tried to get her monkey paws on one of the plates today. She can sense when there's a forbidden object in reaching distance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

As far as impractical, expensive indulgences go... this is my not-so-secret vice: http://www.shrevecrumpandlow.com/history/gurgling_cod.aspx
    We have three.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I have those same bags, but in a leather [or pleather anyway] variety. DH is military and we move quite a bit, so I wanted something w/ padding. They are pretty sturdy and they come w/ dividers for stacking purposes.  Got them at BBB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Hey Lemon, if you are wanting a low cost method of storage, steal (or buy) some super big coffee filters and put a few in between each layer of dish to protect against scratches.  Stack like with like and then you can put them all in a box and tuck some bubble wrap around the sides.  You should be fine to store them in a plain old box.  Just don't stack anything on top of that box.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

Lemon - I think I have 1/2 of a set of the same china.  Is the wheat blue by chance?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The gurgling cods are cute, and I love that "gurgling" is in the name.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I have my late great-Aunts good china, as well as my grandma's silver, and I know it all has to be hand washed. The china has a platinum band around the edge, and I know that the fancy metals (silver, gold, platinum) are not able to be washed in the dishwasher - not sure if it a reaction with the detergent, or if it is the heat, but I do like to use them for holiday meals. I don't have a double sink, so I fill a big vessel (I use a pot that is wider than the plates, but if you have a big plastic tub you could use that too) with hot soapy water, and all the fine china and silver goes in there, then gets washed once the sink is cleared. I usually only have a few people over for these events, not a big clan, so hand washing isn't quite the big deal.
    But I figure it is better to use it, even if it is a pain to wash, since what's the point in having fancy stuff if you don't consider your loved ones good enough to share it with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]you don't consider your loved ones good enough to share it with.
    Posted by amy-lynn[/QUOTE]

you read my mind

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

amy-lynn, does silver have to be hand washed too?
    I don't know anything...  I am domestically challenged and sit here surrounded by dust bunnies.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Lemon - I think I have 1/2 of a set of the same china.  Is the wheat blue by chance?
    Posted by rysmom[/QUOTE]
    No, that sounds pretty. This is my china:

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/E/easterling_ceres_coupe_coupe_cereal_bowl_P0000020447S0002T2.jpg

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]amy-lynn, does silver have to be hand washed too? I don't know anything...  I am domestically challenged and sit here surrounded by dust bunnies.
    Posted by medfordcc[/QUOTE]

Yup.  It can be etched by dishwashing detergent.  Ugh, you have SILVER on your china?  So, not only do you have to hand wash, you have to polish it before you use it every time?   I hate polishing silver...bless you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

My years of maid work made me absolutely loathe silver.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

My mother puts her silver flatware in the dish washer and has for as long as I can remember.  She just doesn't put it near the soap dispenser. 

My grandmother would store her silver in plastic bags or behind glass to help with tarnishing.

Lemon - Ours is different.  I have never used it and don't really want it as I have my grandmother's china which I love because everything is square - even the tea cups.  

enoch_wood_sons_napoli_blue_cup_and_saucer_set_flat_P0000112604S0007T2.jpg

Sections
Shortcuts