Were you ever a supermarket cashier?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Were you ever a supermarket cashier?

Seems like we're on the cashier hunt here... I've seen it in a few different threads.  Were you/are you a supermarket cashier or did you ever work at a supermarket?  What skills have you taken from there onto your current career?

I worked at a specialty produce supermarket where I didn't even have a scanner.  I had to key everything in by hand.  My mad skills at keying make me awesome at the 10-key that I use in my current job as a CPA.  I also did the schedule and the daily deposits which helped me with time management, leadership, and some of the internal control work that I do now in my current job.  

Granted I also walked ponies at birthday parties when I was young too.  I can't seem to think of what mad skills I learned from that other than to make sure that I don't step in the sh*t they leave behind.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Re: Were you ever a supermarket cashier?

I don't know, I think that learning to avoid steaming piles is a useful workplace skill. 

Things I've taken from less-than-glamourous jobs:

Waitress -- clean up after yourself. 
    Mental health counselor -- that my day isn't really that bad
    Events coordinator -- how to look like I'm not stressed
    Retail sales -- how to fold

Customer service rep -- how to treat people

Nanny -- what kind of mom I want (and don't want) to be

Rape crisis counselor -- how to listen & everything you need to know about ER's, STD's and chain of evidence
    Gift Wrap Clerk at Jordan Marsh -- how to wrap an oddly-shaped package
    Bakery counterperson -- how to get up early and make perfectly sized cookies (mini ice-cream scoop)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

I worked at Bread & Circus (now Whole Foods) for all of threee months as a cashier. That's where I met the produce stocker/poet. Her career as a poet took off, and she is still employed there, same store 30 years later, as a produce manager. She likes it, doesn't want to move further up in the Whole Foods career hierarchy, but she's also the go-to woman when other store managers are unavailable. She knows it all.

But after month three, I'd had enough.

No scanners back then. And we were evaluated on the number of items we rung up per minute. However, no uniforms except for a jauntry green apron over our own clothes. I can't stand work uniforms.

Skills? To this day, I have enormous respect for cashiers, on their feet all day, dealing with the general public, maintaining their professionalism. And respect for all with low-paying jobs, feet all day, general public. Also, doing speedy work under duress and with a sincere smile, which served me well when I became a reporter. I learned I function best at work when under deadlines (or, rings per minute).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

does BK cashier count?  lessons learned: don't be a jerk to service employees, and dang that cash register is confusing!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I was a cashier for three months then found out that a deli clerk made .75 more an hour, so on I moved.  What did I learn?  How to treat people and how to slice really really thin prosciutto.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The hardest job I ever had was as a convenience store clerk. I couldn't figure out how to run the stupid lottery machine.

In addition to my aforementioned stints as a grocery store cashier (working my way up from bagger!), maid, handbag saleslady, and dishwasher, my illustrious work history includes:

Map roller
    Leather belt maker
    Graffiti inspector (I literally inspected the grafitti -- if it was graphic I filed a report for someone else to deal with it)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh oh! I worked at a bakery too! How could I forget, it was my first full-time job. I sold meltaways to Tip O'Neil.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

No grocery work, but I did some illustrious jobs that gave me a better appreciation for people who do them.  Restaurant dishwasher, bus girl, hostess, ice cream server (the worst!), and waitress.  All hard jobs...harder than anyone might think unless they've done them.  I scooped ice cream when I was 15.  Gave myself tendonitis and I still don't go too crazy over ice cream - we could eat as much as we wanted, and I did...for life, apparently.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I have ADD so I could never do waitress work. My sister did it and hated it. HATED it. She always gives really horrible waitresses the biggest tips because she emphasizes with their misery.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I've done the cashier thing as well as the waitress thing. My first job was when I was 14 years old..in a little family owned Italian bakery. I learned a lot of life lessons there and I would not trade that experience for the world.
    The customer service aspect of waitressing and working as a cashier were also skills I have taken with me throughout my professional life. In those types of positions, you learn quickly how valuable good customer service is and how much it pays off. You also get problem solving skills and the ability to think on your feet( although I wonder how much of this is true now..with the corporate mindset and technology).
    Something else I learned is that crappy..unpleasant people exist..and some people can never be pleased..no matter how hard you try. In this case..the lesson I learned was never to take someone else's bad mood or unpleasant personality personally...and that is something you don't learn in school..lol

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I've worked in retail but not at a supermarket. 
    Besides babysitting, my big high school and college job was lifeguarding and teaching swim lessons.  I also worked as an overnight janitor during college to pick up extra money.  That was a gross but good job.  I got tons of commendations and everyone loved me because I actually made a clean sweep through the building, washed the floors, toilets, refilled everything, emptied trash,etc.  I guess usually the night janitor smokes a few cigarettes and then watches TV in the lounge.  Anyway, they were sad when I went to grad school and had to quit because I was moving to a different city because I actually did my job.  It was great because it only really took an hour or two do do everything that was necessary then I could do homework for the rest of the time. 
    Oh, and a security guard (just signing in people in the dorms and calling the cops if necessary). 
    Being a lifeguard was a really high-responsibility job.  I pulled multiple people out over the years I was working, and a few times since while I've been at the beach relaxing.  When I was on the younger end it really taught me a lot about dealing with the public (people really want to do stupid things like flip into the shallow end and they DON'T want a 17 year old to tell them they can't) and working within a chain of command.  Also I used to work the opening shift so I learned a lot about running the pumps and dealing with chemicals. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hated waitressing, too (who wouldn't?), but I earned my tips, anyway.  My favorite tables were filled with lobster novices visting Maine from the Midwest (they called lobsters "big bugs," lol).  I gave step by step instructions, having everyone at the same point throughout the meal, coming by when I could see everyone had finished that portion.  I'd get tipped something like 50% on those meals, and the other waitresses would be jealous, but couldn't they have done the same thing?  Yeah, it was more work, but gosh, those people paid a lot of money to have to throw most of the food away because they didn't know how to eat it.  Regulars asked for my tables and would wait for me to have one open, not becuase I liked waitressing, but because I treated them like I liked it.

If I'm positively impressed with the service I tip really well, better, in fact, than if I hadn't waitressed myself.  But, I expect that every waitress hates her job and shouldn't be rewarded for letting that get in the way of doing it to the best of her ability.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

I was never a waitress but I agree about tipping high.  I usually tip 20% automatically.  I can afford it, why not?  If there's a problem with the meal it's usually not something the waiter has much control over.  I can't think of a time I felt like the waitress herself was the root of the problem with the service I've received in a place.  If someone is especially nice or thoughtful or attentive (but not in an annoying way) I usually tip a bit more.  Also, when I'm with DD I usually try to give the booth a wipe down with a wet wipe myself and try to tip really well, as long as the staff wasn't glaring at us like we didn't belong or something like that. 

Of course, I rarely go out to eat ever.  I'd probaby have more waitress horror stories if I did.  We go out to breakfast every few weeks or so at the same place every time and they're always wonderful. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I never punish a waitress for less than stellar food, and I usually tip 20%.  But, not for bad service.  I did a good job, always being pleasant and doing what needed to be done despite hating it, and I expect others to do the same.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Were you ever a supermarket cashier?:
    [QUOTE]She always gives really horrible waitresses the biggest tips because she emphasizes with their misery. Boy, thats a great way to reward mediocrity.  Why not give the biggest tips to the ones who you know are miserable and actually do a good job for you? Every place has miserable employees, they don't deserve to be rewarded just for b!tching about it. And before you ask, I've worked plenty in restaurants/bars. I've waited tables. When people would whine about being miserable and didn't want to be there, we would send them home. Problem solved, so now who wants those tables for the rest of the night to make more money?
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]
    Why not just punch them in the face?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

I was a cashier at Market Basket for about 6 years. You'd think that would make me good at grocery shopping, but I'm the worst. I wander the store at least two times through. It's awful. I am, however, an excellent sacker. I try to pick the lanes without one so that I can do it myself.

My favorite job was being a bank teller. If I won the lottery, I think the first thing I'd do is quit my job and apply at the local bank. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Well, I don't get too het up about tipping in general. I tip 20% as a base for the privilege of another human person waiting on me. If they do a good job I tip more. I certainly don't use tips to try to right society's wrongs or punish the slackers and incompetents of the world. But if anyone sees an attractive woman behaving in an overly empathetic manner to a hapless waitress, please feel free to assume she's my sister and give her a public berating for her deplorable kindness. Believe me, she deserves it. She's been kinder to me than I deserve for years now and it's time she learned the error of her ways.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Were you ever a supermarket cashier?:
    [QUOTE]I've worked plenty in restaurants/bars. I've waited tables.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]

Move over, Ralph Hinkley!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

For some reason..I actually enjoyed waitressing. For me...it was an overall positive experience. I had a lot of regulars who would wait for a table in my section. I had some people that couldn't be pleased either...and people that look down on waitresses..but overall..I think if I hit the lottery..I would waitress part time in a little diner. In fact..sometimes I think of doing just that ..for fun..but alas..no time.
    The starting point for tipping for me is 20%. It goes up or down from there. If a waitress is just having a bad day..or is harried because the place is understaffed..then I go out of my way to try and make his/her life easier. If they just have a nasty disposition..then the tip goes down.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

I think that I would enjoy waitressing only if I could engage in meaningful conversations with the diners.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Of all my menial jobs, I enjoyed maid work the best. It was incredibly satisfying in its own gross way. Actually, I enjoyed the chambermaiding more than the maiding. With chambermaiding there's a real mess to deal with, and you tab the toilet paper and put those awesome "sanitized" bands on stuff. I loved that. Maid work is a little frustrating because you have to clean things that never get used and never get dirty.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I had some regular diners who I was able to get to know and enjoyed serving - I actually remember some of them these 20+ years later (omg, am I that old?), but it wasn't enough to make me enjoy the job overall.  There were so many ugly (mean) people...it was eye opening and not in a good way.  I might have a higher opinion of humanity in general today if I'd never waitressed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Lemon, I considered being a professional house cleaner for those very reasons.  If I hadn't met DH, I'm pretty sure I would have quit my career, anyway, and started doing that, but I guess I can't say for sure.  Do you ever wish you could see your alternate universes?  The ones you didn't create?

ETA: Lostgrouse, I responded to your message in CC, thanks!!

Sections
Shortcuts