What are you doing for gifts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from savvyshopper926. Show savvyshopper926's posts

What are you doing for gifts?

Hi Ladies,
       I was just wondering what you guys are doing for gifts this holiday season.  The sales have been incredible lately and I am SOOO looking forward to black friday!  I actually finished my toy shopping yesterday at Toys R Us during the special 8 hour sale.  I got everything on my list for $97, including an elmo laptop for $3.20, Woot Woot!  

Do you have any special bargain sites that you shop at or know of any good deals going on?  I usually check out babycheapskate for an update on bargains.  Also the SALE section on Wayfair.com has some GREAT kid/baby deals right now.  The Fisher Price "Grow with me Trike" was only $5.98!  I added it to my cart but they ran out of stock before I could purchase it....Bummer!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

Re: What are you doing for gifts?

DD has SO much stuff that DH and I are taking it easy for her this year -- she's only one, so she doesn't really get it.  We're getting her one of those PB Kids armchairs; that's her big present.  Then a ball-popping thing that she's obsessed with, and the rest will be small stocking stuffers -- soft toys & books, socks & other small clothing things.  Stuff like that. 

The Grandma Brigade will take care of the rest, pushing my already sketchy storage situation into the red zone. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

LOL the Grandma Brigade.  We have one of those too!

DH is building a work bench for DS so they can "build stuff" and we also just signed him up for a gym class at the Little Gym that we feel he'll enjoy in the dreary winter months. My MIL is notorious for overdoing it at Christmas and Birthday's so we're leaving it to her to do most of the overindulging.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I'm noticing a trend here... DD will be 10 months at Christmas.  I'm only planning to get her a sentimental type of present (ideas?) and some books or something along those lines.  I have no doubt that the grandmas will take care of the rest, especially DH's mother.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Last year when she was 5 months we didn't get anything.  She got plenty from the rest of the family!  We did put some of her existing things into her stocking and let her play with them as they came out.  It was fun.  :)

My main goal this year is to find something she will enjoy over the course of all of next year.  I am thinking about blocks or some sort of band-in-a-bag toy.  Sometimes the GB asks what she wants, and I will give them those suggestions if they ask -- she's still too little to know if we didn't get her anything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

GC we bought one of those chairs for my ds at the end of the summer - we went with the medium sized one and he LOVES it.  When he transitioned to the toddler room at dc and stopped using high chairs he absolutely refused to sit in his at home.  That was the only place we could get him to sit to eat. Now we have a pint sized table and chairs but he still uses the chair all the time and gets mad when anyone else sits in it!  Totally worth the money.
    We are also going light, I have picked up a few books (loves books) and puzzles.  We might go with a potty chair (he is 18m now) and have it around for him to get used to it.  But we also have the grandparent and auntie/uncle brigade.  I have been contemplating a gift limit but how do you tell people you dont want their gifts?  I have tried with my Mom and it does not work.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

wrkingmom - this might be a good read for you and your extended family.  I with Barbara's advice, minus the gift screening.  I would love to do it but know it would cause WWIII.

http://www.boston.com/community/moms/blogs/child_caring/2010/12/post_16.html?p1=Well_Community_links

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ditto love for the personalized PB chair.  Grammy bought DD one for her 1st bday recently (that I picked out and sent her the link to).  She loves it.  My friend's 5 year old got one when she was born; she uses it every day and it is still in perfect condition.

We're with y'all who are not doing huge present-buying for Christmas.  Honestly, she plays with none of her toys except the blocks (which mommy bought for her bday, thank you very much).  I figure we can only get away with few-to-no presents for another year, maybe two, before lists to Santa start appearing.  Need to take advantage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I'm going insane and spending tons of money on presents for my daughter. I haven't bought any yet but this is going to happen. She's almost 3 and just getting to the point where we can play with dollies and stuff together. I've been waiting a long, long time for an excuse to buy and play with dolls again. At last my time has come.

If any of you are looking for a really great gift that will stand the test of time, may I suggest a Corolle doll? My daughter got one for her first christmas and LOVED it and still loves it. It's french, and its face and hands are made from the same natural rubber as Sophie the Giraffe, so it smells and feels amazing. The first thing babies do is start licking it, which is pretty funny. "Soft Baby" is her absolute favorite toy and she carries it with her all the time and sleeps with it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Babicorolle-Pillow-Babipouce-Striped/dp/B00004TYF2/ref=sr_1_9?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1320974759&sr=1-9
    She also still plays with her ball popper. Lots of other toys -- particularly the stuffed animals that are now the bane of my existance -- have fallen from favor and been packed away, but these two items are still very much in the game.

You're all smart to spend the extra $$ on the PB chair, by the way. I bought the Little Reader one from Amazon because it was cheaper, and she LOVED it but quickly outgrew it, and now it's in the attic and she has no little chair of her own. [tear]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: What are you doing for gifts?:
    [QUOTE]But we also have the grandparent and auntie/uncle brigade.  I have been contemplating a gift limit but how do you tell people you dont want their gifts?  I have tried with my Mom and it does not work.
    Posted by wrkingmom[/QUOTE]
    You can't. It's not possible. All you can do is accept the gifts, squirrel them away until everyone has forgotten them, and then donate them to charity. If someone asks later, tell them the kid broke it. Chances are that the kid would have broken the gift if given the chance, so it's plausible and barely even a lie.
    You can try to get ahead of the problem and ask for books or something else that makes sense. But you're still going to get My First Incontinent Baby or Sloppy-Snookie-Drinx-a-Lot, so you might as well make your peace with the idea. Every once in a while I spot one of these things in my MIL's car or house and can say, "I'm sure that's for someone else because no way is my innocent baby getting her sweet little paws on a BRATZ doll in a thong" and do a kind of moral human shield between the gift and the child. But because Christmas presents are wrapped this stealth maneuver isn't possible, unless you want to totally offend and alienate everyone by being the crazy mom who unwraps and vets gifts, as per the above advice.
    Our problem is mostly the sheer size of the gifts -- wooden rocking horses, wooden rocking chairs, giant inflatable castles that don't even fit in our house, etc. We have a plan this year -- we're driving our subcompact to MIL's house and if we receive any giant gifts we can say that alas they will not fit in the car and will have to be picked up at some later date, far in the future. When that date comes, the child will have either "outgrown" the item or will have decided in her own adorable way that it's SO MUCH FUN to play with it at grandma's house, it simply must stay there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

You do have to accept the gifts. 

To be honest, we got way too many birthday presents for DD, I put about 3/4s away and now pull them out one at a time every few weeks when we need to mix it up. And to be super honest, I've regifted items to other babies outside of the family. 

We are going fairly light this year. I've been really obsessed with getting DD (14 months) a wooden toy kitchen, and some toy food and utensils. Is she too little for this now? If not, anyone have recommendations for a toy kitchen? (we won't do plastic).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Oh my god, the kitchen is one of the best things we ever got. She plays with it every. single. day. We bought the Ikea one. My friend has the Educo one, which is cuter and I wish I'd gotten that one. Ikea has great cookware that can be used with real food when she's older -- the Duktig series. They also have great soft play food. Melissa & Doug kitchen stuff is always on sale on amazon or at Home Goods or TJ/marshalls. Educo has cute kitchen stuff too. She's a little young for it at 14 months, but she'll still love it and play with it for a long, long time to come.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wrkingmom. Show wrkingmom's posts

Lemon you made me laugh out loud!  I love the idea of driving the subcompact over and what does not fit, stays!
    My inlaws just bought ds one of those huge cars that he sits in and propels fred flintstone style.  As soon as they said they bought it I was like "Oh that will be so much fun to use at Grammy and Grampy's."  They may have been planning on bringing it to my house but I hope that deterred them!  Yup and we got a rocking horse for ds last xmas when he was 7 months old - it is still in the attic.
    The size of gifts is ridiculous!  I told my mom outright she could not buy ds an indoor slide for xmas.
    A play kitchen though is a great idea ML...ds loves the one at school. Dont have any suggestions though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Last year we got her a bunch of books and one of those magnet boards with the magnet pen attached by a string.  My parents told me ahead of time they were getting her a kitchen set so we also got her a box full of plastic food to supplement the kitchen set.  This year we'll probably get more books and I think I'll get her some fun markers and paper.  She gets WAY too much stuff between all the aunts and uncles and grandparents.  I love buying books and when I see great ones throughout the year I get them and put them aside for holidays. 
    I am looking forward to her birthday (March).  We're planning on getting her a bike. 
    I am trying to involve her in the shopping (well, I don't have much choice, I have to bring her with me anyway haha) and get her used to the idea of GIVING gifts being fun.  For my siblings' birthdays (all in the fall) I let her help pick things out.  I would find a few things that were good and have her decide which one her aunt would like best.  She was very proud and excited to give the gift and of course they thought it was sweet and special because DD helped pick it out. 
    I'm definitely going to have her help with my husband's gifts. 
    I feel like it's an important precedent to set, that the holidays are about giving.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

[QUOTE]I've been really obsessed with getting DD (14 months) a wooden toy kitchen, and some toy food and utensils. Is she too little for this now? If not, anyone have recommendations for a toy kitchen? (we won't do plastic).
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]
    The kitchen is the best thing ever, for a boy or a girl.  Be careful because some of the toy food can be a choking hazard for little ones (we had to sort through and pick out a few things, but not all, from the big bag of toy food we got at target last year).  But she'll have fun with it now, especially if you play with her.  She'll probably enjoy playing "peekabo" with the food, putting it in the cupboards/oven and taking them out more than anything at this point.  When she gets older she'll have LOTS of fun for a LONG time on her own playing with the kitchen.  Last spring I brought it into our kitchen so DD could "make dinner" while I did and I could avoid that situation where I'm trying to cook and she's wrapped around my legs, shrieking and crying because I'm not giving her attention.  Plus, I remember being OLD (like 12?) and playing with my younger siblings with our ancient kitchen set.  We used to pretend the different cupboards were apartments for our barbies and the fridge was where they worked. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

lissafro- that is hysterical!

Ditto on the kitchen- that is on our list this year. DS is huge into doors (opening and closing). I don't think that 15 months is too young- he wants to stir what is on the stove right now. we haven't decided on plastic or wood- after reading some of the reviews about how the particle board (not real wood after all) splintered, i got a little nervous about them... but they do seem nicer. we also have the whole ikea kitchen utensils set, pot set, and play food. I liked the fruits and veggies better than some of the plastic versions.

Re other gifts, we have tried not to go overboard. we are considering the kitchen and some winter clothes. my kid is an outside kid. he doesn't care about weather at all. so I am going to assume i will need 2 snowsuits (before nap and after nap), as well as a snow shovel and such for him. but the armchair sounds great!! he would love it.

i posted a few weeks ago that my grandma brigade is a bit different. overindulgent, unpractical MIL, totally practical and more limited maternal gma. both will be at our house this year (for the first time), so that should be interesting!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Toy Kitchens are great. Last summer we remodeled our kitchen, and we were finishing moving into our new kitchen in time for DD's 2nd birthday, so she got a toy kitchen. (plastic, but thats because the colors match our real kitchen) There is a little nook that it sits in, across from the laundry room, so she can play in her kitchen while DH and I cook, so we are all in the kitchen together. IKEA has great play food, but we have a dog that sheds, and I am forever pulling dog hair off the soft food. Melissa and Doug make great wooden food, but the velcro (which lets you "cut" the food) also is a dog hair magnet. DD doesn't really care, but I hate being given a dog hairy piece of food that I am expected to pretend eat. Undecided

I hear you all on gifts, DD just had her 3rd birthday, and I arranged a party at her daycare, so she got gifts from about half the kids. They are all actually great, DD loves them, even if I would not have picked them out for her. But I saw how excited she got with opening 5-6 presents (daycare plus family sent stuff) and I worry about how zooy Christmas will be. We are going to visit family, and I have used the "car is only so big" excuse last year, but still wound up with a  (Ok, its small and beautiful, but still!) rocking horse. 

Lemon - I am also super excited to be playing with dolls again. One of the things DD got for her birthday was a Barbie, and she was sooooo excited to take off and put on the shoes. We warned her to be careful because the shoes are tiny, and might get lost, so she was very careful in selecting the spot to put it down, so she wouldn't lose the shoes. Now I want to run out and buy her a ton of Barbie stuff, becuase it was just so cute. (And I am intellectually opposed to Barbie's pink empire of girlyness, although I must admit she is a much better role model than the Bratz or Monster High dolls. Thankfully she hasn't seen those yet, but the Disney Princesses have gotten their beautifully manicured talons into her already.)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]i posted a few weeks ago that my grandma brigade is a bit different. overindulgent, unpractical MIL, totally practical and more limited maternal gma. both will be at our house this year (for the first time), so that should be interesting!!
    Posted by winter09wedding[/QUOTE]

Ditto!  MIL goes way overboard to the point that DH is worried about how she is ever going to afford to retire.  She recently gave DD 2 winter coats and an entire 12 month wardrobe, which I greatly appreciated!  We try not to mention all of her gifts in front of my mother because we don't want her to feel bad.  She was a little embarrassed after our baby shower, but I told her I know she will be the one to babysit when I'm in a bind and that counts for more than baskets full of presents!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD has a kitchen and loves it, I just dont like picking up all the peices :-).

Might be bad, or that our kids are too young but we do not buy them anything.   They get Christmas and Hannukah and then DD birthday is in January.  Like another poster, I put 3/4 of the stuff away and bring it out at certain times.  I actually still have stuff put away from last year.   My kids also have grandparents, extra grandparents and many aunts and uncles.  They get a lot.  I have already told everyone not to buy the baby anything but of course no one will listen to me.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Toy kitchen -- best idea ever. The one we have was given to our now almost-10 year old, and my youngest (5) still plays with it. It's not big or fancy but it remains a crowd pleaser! Another toy that has stood the test of time is the wooden train set. And mega blocks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

this thread is making me reconsider my "not buying any big gifts" thing!

I had been thinking about a play kitchen for 2 years old, but recently (15 months) she has been playing like crazy with a wooden spoon and a bowl -- and she'll "feed" us or her stuffed bear from the spoon.  Oh man... I'm getting excited!
    Anyone have brand recommendations?  We need it to be really sturdy because she's also still working on getting good at pulling up to stand.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I actually spotted a wood kitchen one by melissa and doug (onsale at amazon this week).  I remembered someone mentioning the preference for wood. I am still going back and forth between wood and plastic.

my kid is pretty big (almost 3 feet at 15 months) and although he LOVES the kitchen at daycare, it is a little tiny for him. I am worried that some of these are really small, and I feel like it is hard to tell without seeing them (assembled) in person. I feel like these ads can be deceptive. For example this toy, when we got it, was already too small for him to hold the sides when he walked up the stairs to get to the slide, and we got it before he turned 1 (seriously, you have to walk to use it!!)  and he could never hit the baseball without bringing the bat down.  The kitchen at ikea also seemed small.

how do you pick these things- we were standing in the store which is obviously not the best way to do it- online reviews? measure your kid? should i not care as much- he will kneel if necessary? just seems like it should be an investment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ok, forget what I said about no big gifts.  I am buying DD a kitchen.  Or, better yet, I'll send one of the grandmothers a link to the one I want.  ;)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Winter - I picked the toy kitchen for DD based on it being one that most closely matched my new kitchen's color scheme. (meaning it is NOT pink!)
    I also picked her carseat because it was the same colors as my car, (although I researched the brands I was considering before even looking at the color choices, the final decision was oooo-it matches the car, let's get that one!) so my thought is to go with what you like, since you will have to live with it for years, and your LO will probably not care that you got the beige and green one over the white and blue one. Since you have a little boy, I am guessing that you will not consider the vast majority of toy kitchens that are nauseatingly pink, so you already have had a lot of your choices taken off the table. 
    Another tactic I use when picking out toys for DD is to look at the age range. Most toy kitchens are for 3+ (some of the accessories have small parts, just don't give them those parts if you have an "everything in mouth" child) but I saw some for 18 months, those tended to be really small, so I opted for a 3+ toy, even though DD was 2. If you are concerned about having enough space for a kitchen, I would look at the dimensions - some are much larger that others, so you can find one that fits, but it might not come with the grill/washing machine/coffee bar peninsula etc. As far as using it - DD will sit on the floor to prepare things, then stand to cook or use the sink, so parts of it being low are not a problem. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Ha, poppy, my parents bought ours for us! It was inexpensive (around $20), plastic, folds up for storage even -- probably not great for new puller-uppers, but we never had an issue with it flipping over, ever. I think Mom got it at Walmart. It's small though -- just a sink, a couple of burners, and below that, an oven/storage space. Used to make some noises (water in sink, timer, etc.) but I'm not sure it does any more.