What are you doing for gifts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Re: What are you doing for gifts?

Toy kitchen is at the top of our list too. My daughter wants the Dora one. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

BDCKristi -- you might want to get a non-branded kitchen if you want it around for a while. I bought my daughter a Dora helmet last year and now she's off Dora and onto unicorns, and is agitating for a new one. Harumph.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

By the way, I ordered a couple of these badger basket things to store toys and books, and they are awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Basket-Storage-Cubby-Espresso/dp/B0049U5UFC/ref=pd_sim_t_1

They don't have a big footprint, but they hold an amazing amount of stuff. They can be stacked. They're a knockoff of the Land of Nod ones. So they're composite and not woody, and they have visible screws (they send stickers to put over them, which might look worse).

I actually bought the three-bin one. It's $100 on amazon right now but i got it for around $60-70.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Some of the play kitchens are nicer than my real kitchen!  I'd be jealous.  Along the same line of play, my DH has already got this in his sites for our DS this year (who will be 14 mths at Xmas).

DH has got a workshop downstairs and has a work bench like this.  Even though DS is way too young for all the little parts... I think he'd love the doors and the light now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 22much. Show 22much's posts

Ikea do a very nice kitchen.  I bought my daughter a shop when she was 3, and filled it with Haba stuff.  Expensive, but I figure we will keep it for her kids.  This year she is old enough for a doll house...I am getting a very groovy one, and not the big plastic barbie one she would have liked, because I don't like having all that plastic around.  Again, something that won't get thrown out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

A kitchen!  What a fabulous idea!  I'm totally getting that for my DD.  Do they sell Melissa and Doug at Toys R Us?  I know my DH will want to get wood and I have a few credits/gift cards from there.

Other than that books, books, books for my kiddos.  DD devours them, both figuratively and literally.  So we will need some new ones for DS.  Ha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

When do they do all the crazy online sales - the day after Black Friday??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chenlingrui. Show chenlingrui's posts

----- ~ ¤ ╭⌒╮ ╭⌒╮
    ╭⌒╭⌒╮╭⌒╮~╭⌒╮ HANDBAG 35$
    ,)))),'')~~ ,''~)
    ╱◥█◣ ╱◥█◣ SHOES 35$
    |田|田||田|田| CLOTH 15$
    ╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬NEW
    Online Store:
    ( http://www.vogueboom.com )
    you can find many cheap and fashion stuff
    Nike air max shox rift $30--39;
    Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini $20;
    Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g) $30
    T shirts (Polo ,edhardy,lacoste) $15
    Jean(True Religion,edhardy,coogi) $30
    Sunglasses (Oakey,coach,gucci,Armaini) $15
    New era cap $15
    Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $20
    ((( http://www.vogueboom.com )))
    =====((( http://www.vogueboom.com )))=====
    ACCEPT PYAPAL and CREDIT CARD and CASH
    DELIVERY TO YOU DOOR TO DOOR
    FREE SHIPPING,accept paypal
    BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!
    SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!
    FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Another good investment is a small table and chairs. We got ours at Ikea (of course), and they're awesome. We also got the paper roll holder. She plays or draws at her table every day, and when her buddies come over they can sit at the kids' table to eat while the adults have a civilized meal at the big table.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50177671/
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10177668/
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/18735/

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Fram - you're thinking of Cyber Monday, it's the Monday after Thanksgiving

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

We got my kids a nice, wooden two-piece kitchen set when they were 1 and 3 and it stayed in the playroom until last year, when they were 8 and 10!  They used it a ton through the years, and it still looks new.  

Also, to second Lemon's table and chairs suggestion; we still have our little table and chairs in the playroom now, along with a small art table! They are big boys, yet they still use them for legos, storage space, and a display table when they are "selling" drawings, etc. to us.

Good quality, natural wood blocks of all shapes and sizes are also a very worthwhile investment.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Kitchens are fabulous!  We have a hand me down Step 2 ones and its great!  I also recommend the small table and chairs.  We have a table and DD eats all her meals there as well as does crafts, etc.

This is the first year that DD really enjoys opening presents so it was fun to buy for her.  She is getting a dolly high chair and crib as well as snap n style dolls.  DS is getting a couple car toys and a few other small things.  I also got them both personalized books which I am very excited about.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

One other thing, since a few people have mentioned books...we have always had Santa and the Easter Bunny bring TONS of books.  I wanted my guys to look at them with just as much excitement as toys, and they really always have.  They still love getting books for gifts for any occasion, and are avid readers.

I have an acquaintance who didn't know what to get her 2 and 4 year old kids last year.  I told her to look at TJ Maxx because they've always had a great selection of educational toys and books, and she literally laughed at me! She said, "No way, I'm getting the fun stuff! Grandma and Grandpa can get that stuff if they want."   Apparently we are on a different wavelength, as they got a Wii and rated PG DVDs for the tv in their bedroom, and tons of monster trucks.   LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

PG for 2 and 4 year olds?!  I'd be on a "different wavelength," too, Michelle!  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: What are you doing for gifts?:
    They are big boys, yet they still use them for legos, storage space, and a display table when they are "selling" drawings, etc. to us. Good quality, natural wood blocks of all shapes and sizes are also a very worthwhile investment.  
    Posted by MichelleandtheBoys

Hold on, I am going to have to BUY drawings from DD?  She's not just going to give them to me because she loves me?  ;)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

LOL, Poppy, probably not, but you never know.  My 11 y.o. has been trying to sell us things since he was four.  He makes advertisements, brochures, "special offers", etc.  He cannot wait to have some kind of business.  He loves to paint and draw his own characters and write stories, then sell them to us and my parents for $.05 - $1.00.  He has "book release" dates, and won't let me read them until I pay.  It's pretty nuts, and he can be exhausting, but he's so creative and really enjoys it so we go along with it for the most part! This summer, he had a separate bucket on the side of the table and when I paid for my items he said, "would you like to make a donation to the ipad fund?" LOL

A couple of years ago my little guy (who worships him) was like, "Look what I got...they were only 10 cents each!" After that I told him he couldn't sell pictures to his brother. LOL 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I hope you've started the Harvard Business School Fund!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Good point about the Dora kitchen, lemonmelon.
    I love the table and chairs idea. I have heard great things about Ikea and have not been there yet. I need to go!

Does anyone have any ideas for non-toy gifts?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Ikea is the best thing ever in the entire world. It's kept every promise it ever made me.

For non-toy gifts: My daughter is pining for a bathrobe. I don't know why or how she even knows what a bathrobe is. She's really into her hooded towels, so I guess a bathrobe is the next step.

I don't know how old your kiddo is, but I bought my daughter  her own cleaning stuff when she was about 2 -- a little broom and dustpan, a duster (from Ikea!), etc. -- and she loves using them. She's actually pretty helpful too, at least with the dusting.

She's also into room decor -- Ikea (sorry) makes great kid-safe lights that have big buttons and switches they can use by themselves. That's very satisfying.

Of course we do tons and tons of books.

Pretty much anything I get her is thrilling these days. I could hand her an empty box and she'd be psyched.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

Kristi - What about a homemade gift?  I'm making one for each of my kids and my DH as well.  DD is getting an apron (she loves to cook) DS is getting and afghan, and DH is getting a blanket.  Other ideas - books, music, personalized items (mugs, plate, etc - something for a special occasion).  DD is getting some educational things as well, pattern boards, pre-preschool activity book, etc.  You could also make a memory book or something along those lines.  I made my parents one from a recent vacation, DD loves loves loves to look through.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Musical instruments are big in our house too. They always have them for cheap at Home Goods/Marshalls/TJ Maxx. And you can get a small guitar or a ukulele at Mr. Music.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

William Sonoma has some great cooking stuff made just for kids.  Kits, utensils, aprons (personalized), everything.

Love the musical instrument idea, lemon - I had a recorder when I was 3 or 4 that I remember loving.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Michelle, that's so funny.  Lemon, I think you may have some sort of secret affiliation with Ikea.  I wish they sold more of their stuff online... it's just so far away.  But maybe if I ever actually go there, I will also fall in love.

Musical instruments are on our list.  I am thinking now that we might go with the play food and cooking utensils, but save the actual kitchen for the 2nd birthday.  On the other hand, it would give me some place to put the food and utensils!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think the WS utensils and such are meant for kids old enough to actually help mom in the kitchen, 4+, not to play with, per se.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

In Response to Re: What are you doing for gifts?:
    I had a recorder when I was 3 or 4 that I remember loving.
    Posted by kargiver

I remember loving my recorder when I was younger, too.  However, my neighbor's granddaughters (4 & 6) have recorders and this summer from even across the street it was horribly annoying to hear the gleeful shrieks, tweets, and trills.  A xylaphone might be a better option than a glorified whistle. 

Sections
Shortcuts