What are you doing for gifts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What are you doing for gifts?

Hm, that's true - it could be awful for a mom.  My dad taught me to play tunes, though, happily for mine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I have a question for my brother (well, I am planning to get it for him for christmas), who has 2 and 4 year olds... he wants to cook more with them in the kitchen, but he wants them to eat what they cook. now they get all excited about making pizza, but won't eat it.

are there any good recipe books for kid friendly recipes that are designed for kids and parents to work together? there seems to be a lot that are focused on kid's helping, but they are more adult focused food.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

The musical instruments can be annoying for sure -- we also just got a piano for the house -- but nothing, NOTHING in this world is as annoying as a screaming, whining kid when I'm trying to get something done. Anything else is a joyful noise.

The Small Hands Montessori catalog also has a lot of great practical stuff:
    http://www.forsmallhands.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

In Response to Re: What are you doing for gifts?:
    [QUOTE]LOL, Poppy, probably not, but you never know.  My 11 y.o. has been trying to sell us things since he was four. 
    Posted by MichelleandtheBoys[/QUOTE]

Have you thought of having him involved in the lemonade stand business (Alex's lemonade stand) where the profit goes to cancer?  http://www.alexslemonade.org/campaign/stands-and-events

He might like that... he won't raise the money for himself, but it would put all his entrepreneurial talents to good use.

My cousin was like your son, and he runs 3 different very successful businesses - his first started when he was in high school, and that's still a part of his enterprise - and he is now 40 years old!  He's a mogul, and started very young.

Amazing how some children show their future selves so young, isn't it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Amazing how some children show their future selves so young, isn't it?
    Posted by CT-DC[/QUOTE]
    Oh god, don't say that. My daughter talks constantly about starting a band.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

I'm struggling with what to get for my 13 month old.  I am way too excited by Christmas, so have fears I will go overboard, but am trying to rein myself in and save that enthusiasm for when she knows what's going on! 

Books are a definite, and some puzzles (she got a Melissa & Doug one for her b'day that she loves).  She has two dolls she loves, so I don't think she needs another.  Was looking into things like shape-sorters, that kind of thing.  I feel like she's bored with a lot of her old favorites (like the stacking rings and stacking cups), so need a few new things into the rotation. 

I know people have been talking about toy kitchens and I'm tempted...but is she too little?  On the other hand, her b'day's not until October, so should I use this time to get something a little bigger that she'll grow into over the next 8 months?  

Help!!! Smile 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

I would say go with some toys that they can grow into.

We just got our DS a big dump truck that is full of Mega Blocks (he is 14 months), and he loves it - he can push the truck around with the blocks and he can play with the blocks (right now, he can easily pull them apart but still trying to figure out how to connect them firmly and he loves being able to port his blocks around). We figure these will last for a long while until he is old enough for the smaller lego sets without trying to eat them.

Wooden blocks are not bad too - they grow with those (from stacking to understanding the different sizes to building - right now, DS is just in the stacking and knocking down what we build). We got two different types (letters - for stacking, and with the goal of using them for spelling later) and the traditional building blocks (squares, rectangles, triangles to build buildings, ramps etc).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]I'm struggling with what to get for my 13 month old.  I am way too excited by Christmas, so have fears I will go overboard, but am trying to rein myself in and save that enthusiasm for when she knows what's going on!  Books are a definite, and some puzzles (she got a Melissa & Doug one for her b'day that she loves).  She has two dolls she loves, so I don't think she needs another.  Was looking into things like shape-sorters, that kind of thing.  I feel like she's bored with a lot of her old favorites (like the stacking rings and stacking cups), so need a few new things into the rotation.  I know people have been talking about toy kitchens and I'm tempted...but is she too little?  On the other hand, her b'day's not until October, so should I use this time to get something a little bigger that she'll grow into over the next 8 months?   Help!!!  
    Posted by luvRIboy[/QUOTE]
    You could split the difference and get her a kitchen shape sorter! Someone gave my daughter one of these when she was about a year and she LOVED it. She played with it for a long, long time. As a matter of fact, she only stopped playing with it when we took it away to make room for the big ikea kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Discover-Sounds-Kitchen/dp/B0001NE7C8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321922108&sr=8-4

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvRIboy. Show luvRIboy's posts

Oh, Lemon, I love that thing!  It has been added to my Amazon favorites! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It's great. It's smaller than it looks in the photo, but that won't matter to a 13-month-old. And our daughter still uses the pretend food from it in her kitchen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hughkona. Show hughkona's posts

Anyone found any good black friday deals for newborns or toddlers? So far I haven't seen anything outstanding come up!....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone found any good black friday deals for newborns or toddlers? So far I haven't seen anything outstanding come up!....
    Posted by hughkona[/QUOTE]
    I prefer to pay full price, at least when it comes to newborns. I don't want last year's leftover babies.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sashaturtle. Show sashaturtle's posts

This year, I am focusing on keeping my hard earned money in the USA, creating jobs for Americans. Since so many of our products are manufactured in China, I am giving gift certificates for local restaurants and movie theaters. I am looking at labels and buying Made in USA only.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

[QUOTE]This year, I am focusing on keeping my hard earned money in the USA, creating jobs for Americans. Since so many of our products are manufactured in China, I am giving gift certificates for local restaurants and movie theaters. I am looking at labels and buying Made in USA only.
    Posted by sashaturtle[/QUOTE]
    Well good luck with that. It's almost impossible to find things that are made in the USA these days. Even if they're actually put together here, the materials often come from somewhere else.

For anyone else who wants to focus on locally-produced stuff this year, boston.com has a great list of local craft fairs! I'm pretty excited for the Bazaar Bizarre.

http://calendar.boston.com/boston-ma/events/craft+fairs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from memes98. Show memes98's posts

Lemon and Luv - We also have that Little Tikes kitchen shape sorter and my DD also really enjoys playing with it.  She is just 16 months old (yesterday).  She likes trying to get the shapes through the sorter, putting the egg in the pot, putting the cheese in the oven, getting it to make the noises, etc.  The only thing that bugs me about it though is why is there a random phone that is included??!!  It doesn't even have a receiver or anywhere to put the phone!  Not that DD cares, she happily pretends to talk on that phone.....it just bugs me cause it doesn't make sense!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

There has been a lot of play kitchen talk on Somerville Moms lately, and someone posted this link so I thought I would share:
    http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/toys-toddler/play-kitchens-for-any-budget-134287

Also, we were at a store yesterday that had a play corner (awesome!) and they had the Hape kitchen pictured in this link... it brought home the importance of measuring because at 16 months, my LO could barely see the top of the counter and couldn't really reach the sink (she's a little short, though).  So I think we're going to wait for her 2 year birthday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Our kitchen was too tall for our daughter when we bought it too, so we got her a little step stool from Ikea. She LOVES her step stool. It's like a whole new world opened up to her. It made me realize what our house must look to someone so little -- all the cool stuff is out of reach, and all she sees are doors and legs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

The step stool is a great idea -- I agree; there are so many things in the world that are "not for babies".  Our LO is not walking, so it will be awhile before a stool will work for us personally.
    Side note: I told her to open the cabinet on the toy kitchen, and it was full of play food.  Her face absolutely *LIT UP* when she saw it all.  So that is one thing that is a definite this year.
    Side note again: Lemon, you definitely work for Ikea!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Do I work for Ikea.... or does Ikea work for me???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Which of the two items below would you recommend?  Or would you recommend neither?

Dino stride-to-ride

Other sample walker

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Personally, our LO likes the FP walker you linked to and dislikes the dino (we don't own either, but have played with both of those in other places).  But she might not be the best case.  She is still very wobbly even with a walker, so she seems to dislike the dino since you can't get as close to the handle.
    She also likes the toys on the FP one, spinning and flipping.
    Not sure if it would be different for a baby more excited about walking!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

Our DS liked the one similiar to the FP one a lot when he was learning to walk because it was not too hard to push and to go around corners - except it had balls (he loves balls and wheels):

http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-65261000000-Activity-Baby-Walker/dp/B0009OD1DK/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1323210247&sr=1-2-fkmr2

(once he was comfortable with walking, he ditched it in favor of the megablocks dump truck where he could take his blocks with him and really yank that truck around the table and kitchen island without getting frustrated). The other walker we did not try (it looks like it is harder to turn, and nothing got him more upset than hitting the wall and not being able to turn the walker/toy around - we have a push engine cart and that drives him batty, when he can not turn it before hitting the wall).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

One of our playgroups had the second one and the kids loved it. As an alternate, consider

http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Step-Start-Walk-Ride/dp/B00004T2WP/ref=pd_sim_t_14

This one turns into a ride-on when they get older, and there's a hood flap that can be stuffed with toys, leaves, dirt, or snot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]...This one turns into a ride-on when they get older, and there's a hood flap that can be stuffed with toys, leaves, dirt, or snot.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

Lemon, you could have done stand up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

For some reason I can't reply - We have the one Lemon mentioned and DS loves it.  We got a hand me down one of these that DD loved

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Brilliant-Basics-Stroll-Along-Walker/dp/B0015KVXW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323220802&sr=8-1

Sections
Shortcuts