What are you doing for gifts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: What are you doing for gifts?

I know I'm totally late to this post, considering Haunkkah has started and christmas is only a few days away...but:

We went with a plastic kitchen set for DS, he stopped playing with is so we put it away until the summer when he wanted to be outside grilling with Dad...so outside went his kitchen and he "cooked" right along side dad. It was nice to be able to easily semi repurpose a toy.

DS who is 3 now really loved going to get presents for people. He decided what he wanted to get his father and we went to the store to get it he saw some toys for his sister (3 mo old) and insisted on getting her stuff to (including a bubblegum pink patriods PJ). It has been so much fun to go shopping with DS and seeing what types of things he thinks to give people.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

KAM - we got a plastic kitchen too.  I feel like it's a little "softer" if DS decides to crash into it - wood can have sharp corners.
    And the ability to take it outside is a great idea for next summer!
    I think the one we chose is cute - almost looks like my kitchen - "maple" cabinets, green "granite" counters and "stainless" appliances!
    Last week was my DH's birthday. When he got up the kids ran into the playroom and brought him a puzzle and said "Happy Birthday" - like they had chosen a present for him...so cute I almost cried.
    Can't wait to take them shopping next year to help choose gifts - I want them to learn the joy of giving as well as receiving.

http://www.step2.com/p/LifeStyle-Deluxe-Kitchen?002=52&004=2035026126&005=1466811332&006=7077091686&007=Search&008=&gclid=CIjD54ixmK0CFYWo4Aodzx7Xng

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I just sent this to my 3 year old nephew for Christmas - had it sent here so I could see the quality and wrap it.  It's AWESOME; I couldn't be happier.  It's a backback that converts to a blanket with a neck pillow (the arms of the critter).  Very cute.  We got the monkey version:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

Hope everyone had happy holidays!
    Back at work today and I have to say: as much as there were WAY too many gifts for our LO (16 months) and we will be culling things to donate shortly, it was so fun to see her open gifts and get excited about them.  Too cute!  It also drove home the fewer-is-better point, because as soon as she opened one she wanted to play with it and was not interested in opening more.
    The biggest hits at our house were the book "if you give a pig a pancake" and also mega blocks!  They must have the mega blocks at daycare because she went nuts as soon as she saw them, signing "more" and "for me" before they were even out of the bag.
    Looking forward to hearing if there were any other big hits out there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cwagner13. Show cwagner13's posts

We like Mega Blocks too (our DS and the grownups) :)

For our DS, it was a fire truck (Green Toys) with a swivel ladder on top - he has swiveled the ladder around and uses it to pull the fire truck behind him (he is really into pulling things lately and we don't have any pull toys so he has improvised and uses this now as his pull toy). I just hope the truck can handle being dragged around by its ladder.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

medford I hadn't thought about donating things... I have a "Reserve box" in the basement where I stockpile stuff that seemed more advanced, not interesting enough, etc. I used a few during the transition to a babysitter last year and it went well... however, we still have some stuff from his birthday that never really got exciting for him- donating them is definately an idea.

DS got a kitchen, which he loved. we wound up going with the kidcraft one, which took like 3 hours to assemble but seems really nice.

cwag, I broke down and got him one of those popping things to drag around. DH was not excited, but DS loves it!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

In Response to Re: What are you doing for gifts?:
    [QUOTE]One of our playgroups had the second one and the kids loved it. As an alternate, consider http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Step-Start-Walk-Ride/dp/B00004T2WP/ref=pd_sim_t_14 This one turns into a ride-on when they get older, and there's a hood flap that can be stuffed with toys, leaves, dirt, or snot.
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

I swear this walker is how DD learned to walk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

My SIL got DD her own kid Camelbak water bottle.  Definitely the hit of Christmas.  Ditto on the "less is more" - it was so cute watching DD enjoy and play with every gift as she opened it.  I don't want to teach her to rush through everything, so it took literally a couple of days to open all the presents.  And she didn't even get that much.  I think she's enjoying everything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Medford - we have the whole "if you give..." series.  My twins love those books. Our favorite is the If you give a Moose a Muffin.
    Twins LOVED their kitchen and little store. And they loved all the extra lego blocks - DH has been building them all sorts of things - hours of enjoyment for everyone.
    Meghablocks never were a big hit at our house. Buy they are great for the 12-24 month age.
    I also gave DD a Bitty Baby from American Girl. When she came down stairs she said, "Santa brought a baby!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

[QUOTE]DS got a kitchen, which he loved. we wound up going with the kidcraft one, which took like 3 hours to assemble but seems really nice. [/QUOTE]

Winter - we got the same kitchen (retro kitchen in red?) How did you attach the faucet to the countertop? Ours didn't come with screws for that part, also the screws provided to attach the legs were too big!

DD had a wonderful Christmas and loved all her presents - big on alphabet things, wooden toys (which I realize now are a little heavy sometimes!). She opened items and seemed genuinely delighted with each thing!

DH and I had that parenting moment where we opened the the unassembled kitchen at 10PM Christmas eve and when we saw it, had to stop a minute for a glass of wine and some chocolate to sustain us. Like winter, it took 3 hours to put together, and the legs and faucet are still not attached, luckily, DD hasn't even noticed! We won't make that mistake again, but it was funny how we managed to get it together!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

We were stupid enough to buy a kitchen and a little store - started at 8:00pm and finished at 12:30am.  I never stay up past 10 or 10;30 so I was a wreck. I suppose it's a mistake lots of parents of young children make - but we are either going to have to figure out where to hide things and put them together early or not buy such complicated things for Xmas. :)
    We did also get DS this car and he loves it!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Sit-On-Simulated-Driver/dp/B005AXYKFS/ref=pd_ybh_17?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Y1GDAHKGNW4YG9BF732

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

ml- i was looking for a link but couldn't find it weirdly enough...  I just searched through my old emails and found it- it is apparently forever out of stock now.   I didn't get the retro one... sorry I can't be more helpful. seriously- we found out we were pregnant right before christmas... so I didn't even get wine, just a lot of sugar cookies.

lily- the hiding thing is huge. we had planned for him to get it after nap, and he found it early!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from medfordcc. Show medfordcc's posts

[QUOTE]DD had a wonderful Christmas and loved all her presents - big on alphabet things, wooden toys (which I realize now are a little heavy sometimes!).
    Posted by ml2620-2[/QUOTE]
    Right??  We got the Educo wooden food that includes faux bottles of water and juice and such.  It was a HUGE hit, but every time she drops the wood bottle on the wood floor it is so loud and I cringe thinking of our downstairs neighbors.
    Misslily, she loves that freaking If you give a pig a pancake book so much that I'm starting to hate it (even though I really do like it).  She loves it, like, five times in a row loves it and still signing for more and I have to create a diversion.