What did you do at work to prepare for maternity leave?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

What did you do at work to prepare for maternity leave?

As the clock winds down to my EDD I am trying to prepare others as best I can to do my job while I am out.

I am in a stand alone role and am delegating much of my work to my boss (very senior) and one other person who has some overlap of areas with me. I am a resource for others in the company (employees and managers), and have so far written up notes for managers on what they should do in certain circumstances and I have written up a contact sheet for employees about who to go to if they have questions/issues.

Did anyone else do anything that others appreciated, prior to going out?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Re: What did you do at work to prepare for maternity leave?

Hide.  Seriously.  I ended up being called at home numerous times because I "made myself available" by checking e-mail every now and then.  Granted I then billed the time, so it wasn't as if I wasn't getting paid for it, but really... don't show up at the office for weeks and don't give any hint that you're available!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GC1016. Show GC1016's posts

I had a meeting with the woman who was covering for me, wrote up detailed notes on any major projects I was working on, and then I kind of eased out.  That was easier on me, both mentally and professionally, then walking out at 5:30 one night and not looking back, like a vacation.  

I worked from home the last week and was available to my coverage person, forwarded any issues to the appropriate parties, and tried to reassure myself that it wouldn't All Blow Up while I was out.  And it didn't.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Other than the handing off of responsibilities and making a detailed list of who to contact in which circumstances/for which projects, as the due date got closer, I treated each time I left the office (to go to the bathroom, to go to lunch, to go home, etc.) as if I wasn't coming back until my maternity leave was over.  I made sure that things were organized on my desk and could be found easily.  I backed up all of my frequently-used files (spreadsheets, etc.) daily.  I made sure not to leave any websites like BDC or my personal email(s) open on my computer and that any automatic login features were disabled.  Make sure there are no perishable food items in your desk/office.  Make sure that you won't be embarrassed by anything on your computer/desk if someone decides to snoop while you're out.  When it comes down to it, you don't know when you're going to go into labor or what circumstances might arise that you will have to leave work with only a few minutes notice. 

I also made sure to notify everyone I spoke with on the phone or communicated with over email that I would be going out on maternity leave "soon" and told them who to contact if they didn't get a response to voicemail or email within 24 hours.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

About a month before I went out, I added a tag line to my auto signature that said I was heading out on maternity leave in the next month, that I wanted to work proactively with them - and also left a contact number for the person who covered for me in case they just suddenly didn't hear back from me. I did the same on my voicemail.

Honestly, nothing will completely prepare people to cover for you and they will manage OK without you (I found myself a little put out at how well they managed without me!) And ditto on the comments above about being too available, I made myself available at first when I was home on bedrest for two weeks before delivery. I was literally getting calls while I was in labor (and multiple calls from the same person after I told them "I'm in labor!")

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

It's hard to give advice since we are all probably in different situations...
    I had the best intentions of handing projects over, forwarding emails, etc... And then I was put on bedrest more than a week before my planned last day.  I hoped to go into the office to tie up loose ends, but it didn't work out.  So I sent about 20 emails from home and everyone did just fine without me.  I monitored email, but never got a single call/email.  Luckily I had kept certain people in the loop on certain things so they could easily take over.  Don't worry ML, I'm sure they did miss us :o)

Good advice from Daisy - I made sure to put certain things away.  (And ended up calling my boss to lock that cabinet for me, since I was out suddenly.)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I did a *ton* of work prior to leaving my job.  I set up a folder on our network and put any files there that anyone might need access to while I was out.  I also created efiles for upcoming projects I was going to be absent for, so that others wouldn't have to worry about those.  I also created a binder and wrote up step-by-step processes for everything that someone else would have to do while I was out.  I also held a training where I demonstrated the different projects someone else would have to see through.  There were 3 or 4 folks who were going to be sharing the responsibilities - one was my boss, and one other was another senior person, then the other two were at about my level and had never done any of this before.  Everyone was *very* appreciative of all I did, and even better - I didn't get a single call or email the entire 14 weeks I was out.  Actually, that's not true - I got ONE text from my boss and it was while i was in labor!  (Which he didn't know)  I texted back an answer to his question, and "BTW, I'm in labor!" and that was the end of that. :)

I did all this prep because I was feeling badly that my colleagues were going to have to take on my workload in addition to their own. I also did NOT want to be seen as someone who just waltzed out - I work at a very political establishment and wanted to make sure no one could accuse me of being lax about my job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I was working a major project that was due two days before my EDD, so every night I left like I wasn't coming back, those that could handle the work knew where I stood, and everything was saved to a shared folder. 
    I worked with a small enough work base at the time that everyone knew I was a tentative show every day. I heard a big sigh of relief every morning I walked in.

Lucky for everyone else, I finished the major project and submitted it on the due date, Friday afternoon, then went into labor on Sunday!

So, work a little bit every day to get your inbox clean, share files with those that will have to pick up if you go early. Clean your desk of things you don't want to greet you when you return. Assign someone to care for your plants. Turn your out of office notice on with a generic message "I'm out of the office, if I don't get back to you in one day please contact_____".

If you do make yourself available, bring a note pad home of a few things you might be asked about to jog your memory. I was on sick leave after having major back surgery, a week after my surgery (still in hospital) I got a work call (yes, they called the hospital) to ask me what I changed about a document before I left (it was minor edit stuff). I had no idea in the hazes of meds and pain-had I had some notes I could have answered their question (after returning home). It wasn't a big deal, but I do that now. Just jot down a few notes of major things that easily slip your mind.