What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?

Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen is under fire this week for saying Mitt Romney's wife, Ann (a stay-at-home mom) has "never worked a day in her life."

Ann Romney's response? She told Fox that her "career choice was to be a mother."

What do you think of Rosen's comments?

To read more:

http://www.boston.com/Boston/politicalintelligence/2012/04/michelle-obama-tweets-support-for-mothers-after-democratic-strategist-criticizes-ann-romney/7vHQRJze85YyRj5bS3m3JK/index.html?p1=News_links

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/ann-romney-defends-stay-home-mom-status/story?id=16124396#.T4cVCNnAGq0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Re: What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?

I think women/mothers are so hard on each other. If she had worked outside of the home she would be ridiculed for that. We don't let each other catch breaks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

I think Rosen made a poor choice in her wording and it has been somewhat taken out of context.  I read the quote to mean the Ann Romney had never worked outside the home and has never know economic struggles.  Which if true does mean that Romney doesn't understand the difficult economic choices that many women/mothers have to make.

I have absolutely no desire to be a SAHM (props to those who do).  It would drive me crazy and it is so much more work than my day job. ;-)

However, I would like more flexibility in my schedule and to be closer to home.  I am the one with the health insurance though and I make more money so I'll be staying where I am employeed for the forseeable future. 

It will never be a "career" option for me to be a SAHM.  And I don't think of being a SAHM as "career".  It's a vocation in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I think this is all politics as usual. She's simply trying to paint SAHM's as only those who have enough money to "choose" to stay home. More class warfare.

Staying home is the right decision for my family, but it isn't a luxury by any means. We have far less buying power than if I had kept my job. I made more than my DH does.
    I have relatives in the military and those moms don't live a life of luxury by staying home. And it's not even a choice for many of them. It's a hardship that is necessary for women whose husbands are deployed overseas or for those who move from base to base every few years.
    I work far harder at home than I ever did at my desk job at a bank. I'm exhausted by the end of most days.
    Most people I know would quit their jobs in a second if their husbands made as much money as Mitt Romney. And just think, that opens up a job for someone who needs 2 incomes for their family.
    I thought the women's movement was all about choices, but more and more I see that is only true if you make choices the feminists deem appropriate.
    I think her comments were highly offensive and unnecessary.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparesilver. Show sparesilver's posts

Being a SAHM IS A FULL TIME JOB! Sometime, it's even harder then really having a another job as there are no breaks! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

A woman can chose whatever she wants.  I coudln't do it. But I'm exhausted from working full time and being a mother to my 11 year old, coming home to cook, clean, etc. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BD1958. Show BD1958's posts

In context, it's clear that Hilary Rosen was talking about Mitt Romney turning to his wife for advice on the economic issues facing women.  Since most women work outside the home and face economic challenges not faced by the Romney family, it was fair for Rosen to point out that Ann Romney, no matter how likeable she is, may not be an expert on this issue.  Confirmation that the Romney campaign is pretty out of touch with women's economic issues came when Romney was asked whether he supports the Lily Ledbetter Act and he had no idea what that law is.  Of course stay at home moms "work" and this work is as vitally important as it is underappreciated.  Let's not let this kerfuffle distract and divide us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think she was only saying that Mrs. Romney doesn't know what it's like to work a "9 to 5" career or grind type job (like dz said).  It's unfair to assume she was trying to imply that SAHMs don't work.  She was using "work" simply as a synonym for "having a job outside the home that contributes to the household financially."  I've got to believe she (and everyone?) knows that a SAHM toils and contributes endlessly and continuously, aka works, for her family.

As for Mrs. Romney's response, I guess it was OK, but I'm hoping she meant that her career choice was choosing not to have a career in favor of being a SAHM, not that being a SAHM is a career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gotideas. Show gotideas's posts

I had never heard of Ms. Rosen until today.  Mrs. Romney seems like a nice woman.  She's also been a very fortunate woman, which she readily admits; but the pressure of having to work for a daily wage outside the home (I'm not talking about a woman in a lucrative executive job), and also taking care of laundry, cooking, etc., is a pressure she has not experienced, I believe.

We're talking apples and watermelons here. 
    There is a huge difference between what Mrs. Romney is talking about i.e., struggles, difficulties of health when she has healthcare coverage or the means to pay for her own medical bills in full, and the difficulty or the fear of basic needs being taken from you, e.g., housing or good food for one's children.  

Hilary Rosen's choice of words was injudicious.  I think both women understand what the difference is.  Neither of them is stupid.

It would be wonderful if more women were able to make the choice that Mrs. Romney has made, if that's the choice they want.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from demosthenes-lite. Show demosthenes-lite's posts

Probably a fair assessment of Mrs. Romney.   Unlike most stay at home moms, I doubt she cleans the house, washes the clothes, ferries the kids around, or cooks dinner.   C'mon, how many stay at home moms have time to train dessage horses ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from VictimOfCircumstances. Show VictimOfCircumstances's posts

Well, she has never worked a day in her life and has never had money problems so what kind of economic advice could she possibly give Mitt: Hey, let's put some more of our money in our Swiss bank account? We really could use another car elevator for my Cadillacs? You know, if I had a job I might have lost it and be unemployed like you? It's just not working for me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from madriver1. Show madriver1's posts

Many of us had/have to juggle work and daycare, while also taking care of the house (cookling, cleaning, etc), kids and pets.  Husbands help, but the lion's share still falls to the mom.  For most of us this is not a choice, but a necessity.

Certainly being a stay at home mom raising 5 kids is hard work, but Ann Romney never had to worry about paying her bills on time, about getting laid off, or about having health insurance at the same time she was making sure her kids did their homework and ate good food.  Those of us who have those worries on top of our responsibilities don't feel bad for her.

I think it's obvious that Rosen meant "work" outside the home, and she made a poor choice of words by not being clearer. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67skids. Show 67skids's posts

No matter whether you are working in the home or outside it, if you have great wealth, as Ann Romney has, life is a lot easier. I think that's what Rosen meant. Ann Romney, like her husband, has no clue what it is like to scrape by.  For example, it means not having two Cadillacs or an elevator in the house for the cars. It means going riding instead of hauling herself to a second job (much less a first one).

But I do wonder: Couldn't the Romneys afford to have a house sitter for poor Seamus instead of putting him in a crate on top of the car?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from exmilloyfan. Show exmilloyfan's posts

In Response to What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?:

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Get past it, Hilary.

As for Ann Romney's response: Good for her. She made her choice, one that was not out of line with the times or with the faith the Romneys follow, and lived with it, happily. I'm sure her sons - and her husband - appreciate the kind of mother she was to her boys. 

If you're trying to breed resentment toward her and her ability to make that choice financially, you are no better than the class-warrior currently residing in the WH.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

I'd take either of them over Santorum's wife.

I'm sick of SAHM's going berserk every time someone uses the word "work" to mean "paid employment out of the house."  Everyone knows darn well what they mean and to pretend that it really means the working mother thinks being home with the kids isn't "work" is disingenuous.  And it usually is a not very thinly veiled suggestion that SAHM is not only an equally valid choice, but morally superior.

I am part of "everyone" and I do not for a minute believe that

"she (and everyone?) knows that a SAHM toils and contributes endlessly and continuously, aka works, for her family.

About half of the SAHM's "toiling endlessly and continuously" is make-work to fill the day or out of guilt or the current kid-as-masterwork-portfolio-project ethos of parenting.  First of all, it's not "toil" unless something unusual is going on.  Work, yes, but I would not call diaper changing, "researching" parenting topics on the Internet, and coaching a toddler through his latest block stacking attempt "toil."  Toil is gathering firewood or water, milking cows by hand, working in a factory overtime for minimum wage.  Second, nobody is putting a gun to your head forbidding you to leave the house or take a break on your own, or forbidding you to let the kid play independently of you while you do something for yourself.  If you choose "endless and continuous" that's your problem.

SAHM's would be taken more seriously if they stopped the martyr act.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Registeredindependent. Show Registeredindependent's posts

Rosen meant it as a snipe against Ann Romney. It was catty and she's getting the backlash she deserves. End of story.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Can someone point out an example of a First Lady - or candidate's wife who has had to "scrape by" and "worry about making ends meet"? Someone who "worried about getting laid off"? Why wasn't this accusation thrown at John Kerry's wife? Or John Edwards? or Hilary Clinton? or even Mrs. Obama? Wasn't she making about $350K before the election of 2008? Yes - most of those wives also had jobs - or degrees, but lets be real - they weren't worrying about paying the mortgage or the grocery bill.
    Romney is rich. Very rich. So are Kerry and Edwards and the Bushes and just about everyone else who runs for President. Those of you who think otherwise are kidding yourselves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarbosFro. Show CarbosFro's posts

It was an innaccurate, biased, unnecessary, ill advised and mean-spirited, partisan political sucker punch by ms. rosen.  she unintentionally made an honest comment reflecting her personal beliefs that stay at home moms are out of touch and less capable than professional political hacks such as herself and the additional truth is that she represents the thinking at the white house and the movers & shakers in dc many of whom share her far outside the mainstream hypocritical cultural biases and gender stereotypes.   The fact is she said what she thought, and what she thinks is wrong and it is ugly.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrquin. Show jrquin's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about A

The same thing could be said of Ted Kennedy but he gets a free pass from the media.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kodimo. Show kodimo's posts

I think the comment directed at Mrs. Romney was unfair; it must be hard work driving a couple of Cadillacs. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southma. Show southma's posts

What do I think?  I think she said it, she believes it.  Furthermore I think she shares the same values and beliefs of Michelle and Barack and for them to claim they feel any differently is complete horse droppings.  

Her and her ex-partner have twins together...clearly she was the man in that relationship.  Classic "male chauvinist" remark by an ignorant woman.

Work"... PLEASE! Tell me what "job" exactly did the current Commander-In-Chief ever hold prior to holding public office??  Community Organizer?!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryjanecakebreadRN. Show maryjanecakebreadRN's posts

I think Hilary Rosen realizes she could have stated her case more diplomatically however I do agree that Anne Romney does not have the same outlook as women who MUST  work outside the home. Her experience does not allow her to see the economy from that point of view. I know many women who are economic captives to their jobs and must work to help support their families even some with M.S. All of us would like to be able to have a choice about working outside the home and some of us work so our families can have things not affordable on one income.However ,many of us MUST work to support our families for many and varied reasons. I am one of these. I have raised 6 children while working and keeping the home fires burning. No mother's job is easy,however I think Anne Romney's was probably easier than many others. The point Ms Rosen was trying  to make is that Anne Romney is not an economic  expert on women's issues in the workplace and Mitt needs to find one to help him understand what women voters feel is important. At any rate women need to see that Mitt is a businessman and he is all about what is good for business not women. I will be voting for Obama. And by the way I have never been on welfare or gotten food stamps or unemployment. I have have worked all my adult life ( on the night shift) and have never gotten any money for nothing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southma. Show southma's posts

maryjanecakebreadRN - 
    Of course you are going to be voting for Obomb - you're in healthcare ;)

"you've never gotten any money for nothing" ... yep, Anne Romney's blessed life is because she did "nothing".  She didn't stay home, take care of the kids, the house - affording her husband the opportunity to EARN money for the FAMILY. 

Salary.com has estimated the earning power of a SAHM is somewhere upwards of $80K/year.

And guess what, what's good for business - can be good for women...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WMassScrewd. Show WMassScrewd's posts

Ann would like some Camembert with her whine!  

Sections
Shortcuts