What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

Re: What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?

It was meant as a swipe at Romney, plain and simple.

If I had five kids and the wherewithal and luxury to stay home, I probably would have too.

I was a SAHM during the day, and worked at night, exhausting, yup, but we do what we have to do.  Taking shots at other working moms and SAHMs or other womens' choices does nothing but make the speaker looking catty and mean. 

I don't think Anne Romney (or Mitt) have the slightest clue what an "average" family does or worries about, but I don't think Warren Buffett, the Jolie-Pitts, or any of the talking heads on either side do either.  Mitt Romney doesn't have to care or pay attention to what a family health insurance policy costs or if he can still afford a pizza on Friday night if the price of gas jumps $0.25 gallon.  He's never had to think about putting on another sweater because he can't afford to move the heat up from 65 and still pay the light bill and the groceries.  But then, most politicians don't grasp these things either. 

Mitt is running for office, not Anne.  If you want to critique, critique him, his policies, his lies or hypocrisies, his platform or comments or statements.  Anne is his wife, but as far as the campaign is concerned, she's irrelevant.  As is Michelle Obama. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

I'm a mom who works full time and has 2 young children. I often say I have 2 full time jobs.  It's tough either way, especially when you're middle class.  It's no use having a competition to see who has it tougher. 

What is annoying is when the rich try to say that they have it so hard, what with only 1 nanny for each of their kids and 4 or 5 ("oh, I can't remember how many") houses to maintain.  It's so stressful to have to plan mega parties and order around the maids.

The real argument should be rich vs. middle class/poor and not regular working moms vs. regular stay-at-home moms. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Trouble I agree I too have two full time jobs. I don't get a break.  You really want to count my break the 10 minutes it takes me to drop my son off to school on my way to work?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Could she possibly have meant "work" to mean "job outside the home" and nothing else?  I've heard SAHMs say, "When I used to work...," and they mean, "When I had a job outside the home...," not that what they do now is any easier or not work.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

It really doesn't matter if Ann Romney ever had a job, for as long as she's been married and mothering (her youngest kid is 31 so she's not juggling school, extra-curriculars and sports/activities, or booking doctor or dentist appointments) she's been intellectually divorced from the struggles the average family faces.  She's been several degrees of removed from needing to know or care what it costs to insure a minivan or how much a nebulizer costs.  She is not now, and never was, and expert on women's issues or the struggles and challenges women face in the work place or trying to juggle the work/life balance.  Asking Ann Romney about women's day-to-day struggles is akin to asking me whether it is more beneficial from a tax standpoint to put money in a Cayman Islands shelter, secret it away in a Swiss Bank Account, or invest it in gold bullion. 

If Mitt wants to know about women's issues and life struggles, he needs to expand his scope and perhaps step out of his country-club comfort zone. 

Hilary Rosen's comment was plainly aimed as a zing at Ann Romney, it was poorly worded and flip, but I don't think she intended it as an attack on SAHMs.  It came off that way, but I don't think it was her intent.  She want to stick in a pin, but she unfortuantely used a hammer to do so. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If a SAHM were to say, "If I had to work, I'd not be able to do xyz for our family so I don't work," would anyone accuse that mom of meaning that what she does isn't continuously and terribly laborious?  Of course, not; we'd all know she meant "If I had a job outside of our home..." by "If I had to work..."  But, when Rosen says that Romney never worked we all jump to the conclusion she meant that raising five kids and being a homemaker isn't laborious.  Why is that fair?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

See to a woman who has to work comments like  "If I had to work, I'd not be able to xyz with the kids so I don't work," can hurt feelings.  I know you didn't mean it like that Kar, so no worries.  But some of us had/have to work to give their child a decent life. I was a single mother for awhile and I didn't qualify for any programs, so I received nothing from the government. 

It's a slippery slop to go down.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

It's not her fault she was born into that kind of life.  It happens. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: What do you think of Hilary Rosen's comment about Ann Romney?:
    [QUOTE]See to a woman who has to work comments like  " If I had to work , I'd not be able to xyz with the kids  so I don't work ," can hurt feelings.  I know you didn't mean it like that Kar, so no worries.  But some of us had/have to work to give their child a decent life. I was a single mother for awhile and I didn't qualify for any programs, so I received nothing from the government.  It's a slippery slop to go down.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

I've heard SAHMs say, "If I had to work," or "If I were working," and they certainly don't mean they don't work at home.  They mean, "If I were to have a job outside our home..."  If it's OK for them to say it, why not anyone else?  The word "work" has different connotations.

My point is that a mom saying, "If I were working..." doesn't imply she means, "If I weren't sitting around doing nothing all day..."  She means, "If I had a job outside our home..."  And, if a mom can say "work" to mean "job outside our home," why can't anyone else use the word to mean that?

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichelleandtheBoys. Show MichelleandtheBoys's posts

Supposedly the main point of her statement was to imply that because Ann didn't "work", she can't relate to most women.  First of all, what past or potential first lady has ever "struggled" as an adult, to make ends meet?  They may not have been extremely wealthy, but hardly struggling.  Second of all, you don't need to have had cancer or any other illness to be able empathize with people who do, or to figure out how to cure it, or at least make it easier to live with.  It's not much different.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rugbygrrl. Show Rugbygrrl's posts

For the vast majority of women working outside the home is not a professional or lifestyle choice but the difference between feeding, clothing and housing their families and hunger and homelessness. Ann Romney has never had to consider the economic realities that face that vast majority of us which is the second part of the sentence Ms. Rosen spoke. The particular comment in question has been taken out of context by the media and distracts from the cold hard reality that women often do not receive equal pay for equal work and still face other types of economic discrimination.

While I was working full time, Ann Romney was competeing in dressage competitions on her horse named Gucci... I'm pretty sure she doesn't get my life at all...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

I'd like to play The Price is Right with Ann Romney.

She may CARE about issues facing the average family and she may CARE about women's work/life balance; but I will bet you a dinner for four at Applebees (you can order off the 2-for-$20 menu) that if given a list of typical expenses for a family of four that she doesn't have a clue.  I don't blame her for it, I don't hate her for it, but she has no need to know or think about it, so why would she.

Do you think Ann Romney knows the cost of:
    a family health insurance policy
    a tank of oil for heating
    a week's worth of groceries for 2 adults and 2 children ages 6 and 9
    daycare
    a car payment on a 3 year old second-hand Honda Odyssey purchased with 48k miles on it
    market rate rent
    the average price of a new-construction condo
    a 3 pound roast beef
    a gallon of 2% milk
    the typical electric bill for a 6 room house for one month
    Verizon's Family Share Plan, with data packages for 3 users

She doesn't need to know, she doesn't have to know, and in her day to day life she doesn't have to worry about it.  I doubt Ann is sitting down with her debit card receipts and her household bills twice a month and hoping Mitt's expenditures didn't throw off her budget.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeeCR55. Show LeeCR55's posts

I think that when you have $250 MILLION it's difficult to understand what WORKING moms really have to deal with.  Yes she worked raising the kids, but how many moms raise 5 kids AND still worl outside the home.  She has NO clue! 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.