What Makes a Baby

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

What Makes a Baby

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1809291619/what-makes-a-baby

I haven't read it so can't attest to the specifics, it's a great idea.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What Makes a Baby

Interesting!  The idea of having a conceise way of presenting all the assisted ways a baby can be brought into the world is great.

However, I was 9 when I got "the talk," and I remember picturing the man and woman in a scissors position with their heads at opposite ends of the bed because I imagined "it" hung straight down and they'd have to be in opposite directions to fit together.  My mom asked if I understood, and I honestly said, "Yes."  But, I didn't really and who knew?  I can just imagine how confused I'd be about egg donors and IVF even if it was presented in a kid-friendly way.  My mom presented intercourse in a kid friendly way and look how I got it all balled up (get it?).

I agree that kids should know if their parents had trouble conceiving natrually and chose to do something beyond that for them to be born (if their parents want them to know), but can't it wait until they've got enough knowledge for it to really make more sense?  What does "intercourse" mean to a preschooler, anyway?  Instead of "intercourse," you could say, "act of love" and cover everything that way 'til you sit them down for the whole kit and kaboodle talk.  And, at that time, include what the other methods of conception are and how they were conceived.  The book would definitely be a great tool, it sounds like, for that talk at that time, but earlier?  Maybe if I read it I'd feel differently.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I havent' read it either so I dont' entirely know how it's presented, but it's meant to be a book that would cover "how a baby is made" for ALL kids, regardless of whether or not they came from their parents having intercourse.  So I'm guessing it's more scientific.  I'll be curious to read it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, that's what I gathered about it, but given how I misunderstood intercourse when my mom explained it to me (in a very age appropriate way) when I was 9 I'm skeptical of the age group they are targetting (not the whole concept of the book which I love).  Of course, she didn't explain intercourse to me with illustrations, lol, so maybe those will help!  She obviously said that his part fit into a woman's and left the logistics out.  I filled in quite a hillarious version of sex in my mind, I'll tell ya, and I thought I knew exactly what she was saying.  She had no way of knowing how wrong I got it when I said I understood.  I wasn't lying when I said I understood - I thought I really did, and that picture of it persisted in my mind until I first saw an R rated movie, lol.  

If they and their parents think the kids know things they really don't understand (because they don't know what they don't know), by the time they are old enough to learn the real science behind it they won't ask and the parents won't bring it up again because both parties think the kids already get it.