What to do when it's so hot out!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

What to do when it's so hot out!?

Dealing with this heat with a toddler (22 months) was easy, but now with a newborn I'm having a hard time keeping him cool and keeping her entertained. Any ideas for indoor places I can take her that don't involve chasing her around all over the place? I'm already planning on going to the story hour at the library, but I need more ideas or else I'm going to be shopping at the mall and watching tv with her.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: What to do when it's so hot out!?

Benice I am having the same problem (except with out another LO).  DS has eczema so he can't get all sweaty.  We don't have AC except in the bedrooms. I think I'll be at the mall a lot this week, supposed to be 90 for the next few days.  Dragging all the necessary stuff to the pool/beach for a LO is tiring just thinking about it, and not like I can put him in the ocean/chlorinated pool to cool down anyway. 
      DH is saying what are we doing today, what are we going to do?? I told him if he could come up with something we'd do it. Now he's working on the house.  Oh well, sorry I can't be of any help.  I'm sure museums are hard, like you said they involve chasing around...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

We might actually try the Winnie the Pooh movie.  That will be a first for us... our 3 y.o.'s first movie.  There's one around our 9 m.o.'s naptime, so we might try for it today.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

We got an aquarium membership last year on an especially hot weekend day (we don't have a/c at home).  I think the rate for 2 adults is $85.  Kids under 3 are free, so you wouldn't need a membership that covers them.  Last year we determined that the membership would pay itself off after 2 visits (~$20/adult for a one-day admission).  We also have the bonus of being able to go for just a couple of hours and not feel like it was a waste of money for such a short time. 

Here's the thing:  if you can wear the baby and check the stroller (free), it should be somewhat manageable if DD will hold your hand.  You'll probably need to lift her up to see into some of the tanks, but most of the places have a bar or shelf that a toddler can stand on, so you won't be holding her entire weight--just supporting her.  The central tank has wide shelves along most of the windows, so you just have to lift her up and she can sit or kneel to see into the tank.  (Also gives you an interesting perspective about how big some of those fish are!)

I wouldn't do it alone with two toddlers, but I THINK it would be manageable with one toddler if you can wear the baby.  It's nice and cool and dark in there, so it's a very nice respite from the heat and sun.  Our kids really enjoy it there and we've gone about once/month with them. 

Besides that, there's an indoor playspace in Watertown that my mom brought the kids to a couple months ago and they really liked it:  http://indooroutdoorplayground.com/

Kids under 8 months are free and one child is $10.  You can also get a one-year membership if you think you'll go frequently and that's "only" $145 for one adult + one child; 2 children + one adult is $220.  But it's a well-contained, air-conditioned place with pretty long hours and "drop-in" all day every day.  It looks like they have an outdoor playspace as well.  If that's too far from you, there may be similar places that are closer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Have you tried sprinkler parks? there's one at Beaver Brook Reservation in Belmont that we've been to, and there are lots of others around.  They're great because you don't have to worry about large bodies of water.  Also, the parks stay really cool because the water is cold, so there's this nice cool air everywhere that is really refreshing even if you aren't actually under the sprinklers.  Usually there are some shaded areas to have a picnic or just sit and relax.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SomMom. Show SomMom's posts

The Museum of Science is another place preschoolers love, especially the Discovery Room. You can look into the smallest membership level possible for your family if only one adult will be going at a time, plus you get to bring guests for free a certain number of times.

I agree with sprinkler parks! We're fortunate to have a nice public one around the corner from us in Somerville.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KT75. Show KT75's posts

I try and do indoor in the morning and outdoor before dinner when its super hot.  Some of the indoor things that we do are:
    music class
    library/story time
    play gym @ the mall
    Small children's museums

I am on the South Shore and there is a indoor play place in Plymouth that is good - Imagination Island and Kids Wurld in Attleboro is fun too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Benice - you could sign up for some free "trial" classes for the toddler at gymboree, my gym, little gym, etc...  Some of those types of places have pay-as-you-go open gym times, too.  Actually the gym I go to for me has a great daycare section that is also drop-in/pay as you go for non-members who just want to bring there kids to an indoor playspace for a bit.  Mamas Move in Norwell.  I'm sure other gyms have a similar option.
    The small, local children's museums that KT mentions are great.  Sometimes just an hour or two in the children's section of Barnes and Noble works for us.  Look for your local Creative Playthings/Backyard Adventures type store - a lot of them have all their jungle gym/swingsets set up indoors and you can pay a small fee to use them.

Sections
Shortcuts