What's up with kids in baby carriages?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Well said TallBev, sounds like there are a lot of bitter mothers here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red1977. Show Red1977's posts

Psst, Pingo - this is the "long thread" on this subject.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Women - you are giving Tina a hard time and I don't think she deserves it.

I think if she jogs or goes on long walks, she should tie the 5 year old into an appropriate stroller. He gets out, she gets her exercise, no one is hurt. RE: the hike, you have to start sometime - if you wait until he's 12, it will be too late.

RE: strollers in the mall with 5 year olds in them. I agree with the premise completely. I also see older kids in strollers and wonder if their parents will ever let them grow. But, obviously there is not a hard and fast rule and life gives you many circumstances.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620. Show ml2620's posts

What's the deal with parents pushing 4, 5, 6 year old children around in baby carriages? I feel like I have seen this more and more frequently. Is their a logic to this, or is it just ridiculous parents thinking their kid has to be coddled and babied indefininitely?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red1977. Show Red1977's posts

who takes their 5-year old on a hike more than 1.5 miles long? I have a 6-year nephew and even I know he wouldn't last that long. Judgment, people.

I agree with Cosmo - this is not just tourists out for a whole day; I see this in the mall, at the daycare in my building, etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I find this thread interesting. When I was 4, 5, or 6, I was very sensitive to the possiblity that my parents were treating me like a baby. There's no way I would have climbed into a stroller. My parents would have had to force me into it and strap me down. And that requires way more energy than just letting me walk.

I would, however, like to hear more from Tina re: why it's necessary to put a 4 or 5 year-old in a stroller.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yellowdog4. Show yellowdog4's posts

Funny how the people with no children have all the answers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]What parent, with any kind of sense, would want to walk around in town all day (stroller or no stroller) with his or her 4 year olds and then take them to a restaurant for dinner? A 4 year old's attention span will not last that long. No wonder we have cranky and out of control kids ruining the dinner for other guests. Adapt your trips to the age of your children and if you do want to take your young children to a restaurant teach them first to how to behave at such places and make sure they well rested.

And to Tina - no, I don't have children. Right now that is - they are all grown up. But at one time they were the 4 - 5 year olds discussed here, and I can tell you, the strollers were long gone by that age. But we would arrange our trips, whether it was sight seeing or shopping - around their naps (if they were still napping) and their best behaved time of the day.[/Quote]

Thank you, pingo! I could kiss you!!! You have hit the nail on the head. I can never figure out why parents are out w/ small kids in nice restaurants for dinner after 6 PM. The kids are cranky and are going crazy. And it's NOT the kids' faults. Yes, I am annoyed by their behavior, but it's the PARENTS who didn't have the sense to plan their day around their small child's schedule that really deserve my ire. No, your life does not have to revolve around your kids once you have them, but you do need to adjust your life to the fact that you have a small child. That means no more late dinners, day long shopping trips, day long sightseeing tours, etc w/ the kids in tow. They are children, not small adults. Plan accordingly or stay home!

No, I don't have kids yet, but you don't need to have them or be a rocket scientist to figure all this out. When we finally do have kids [trying desperately!], we have enough sense to know that our lives are going to change quite a bit!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMovieFan. Show TheMovieFan's posts

Tina71 wrote:

For those who do not have children yet...

When my wife & I were childless, we despised that stupid attitude of being in the parent club. Since becoming parents, we have not said anything like "When you have kids..." or "If you had children..." We didn't like it then and as parents we won't shovel that on anyone else who is childless.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

LOL! Hi ml. Glad to see I am not the only one noticing this lately. I think what happened is that the parents coddled the kid for so long that they no longer have any control over the kid and don't want to deal w/ the kid (1) pitching a fit when they are out and the kid gets tired, so they bring along a stroller and stick the kid in it when the kid gets fussy - rather than either going home so junior can nap or planning outings around the fact that the kid needs a nap and/or to go to bed (2) don't want to deal w/ the kid walking slowly or wandering away while they are out shopping [I generally only see strollers for these kids when the parents are shopping]. I think in the end it all boils down to the fact that the parents have lost control. Otherwise, they'd be able to control a child that age w/ "the look". Because at 4, 5 and 6, unless the child is handicapped, he or she should be able to propel themselves on their own steam, not be pushed in a stroller.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from smalleyinmaine. Show smalleyinmaine's posts

I have three kids age 6,2 and 1 and would never put a 4-5 year old in a stroller.
    It's more about having the kid strapped in and not having to chase them around/correct them. But if your kids not listening at 4 or 5 that's your fault.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

What parent, with any kind of sense, would want to walk around in town all day (stroller or no stroller) with his or her 4 year olds and then take them to a restaurant for dinner? A 4 year old's attention span will not last that long. No wonder we have cranky and out of control kids ruining the dinner for other guests. Adapt your trips to the age of your children and if you do want to take your young children to a restaurant teach them first to how to behave at such places and make sure they well rested.

And to Tina - no, I don't have children. Right now that is - they are all grown up. But at one time they were the 4 - 5 year olds discussed here, and I can tell you, the strollers were long gone by that age. But we would arrange our trips, whether it was sight seeing or shopping - around their naps (if they were still napping) and their best behaved time of the day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I am so glad other people are also seeing this! I saw one last week being pushed down Atlantic Ave and I swear she would have been attending school this week.... and people wonder why we have a weight problem here!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Why do I keep hearing this, "Apparently you don't have children, if you did you you would think otherwise?"
    Many of the posters here do indeed have children. Some are in the middle of child raring, some have grown up children. Believe me, I have been there.
    I believe it is all about parenting. Some parents these days feel so entitled. (I can say that, because I have nieces and nephews, that are part of that group.) They think they can do everything they used to do before the children came around.
    Who parent would take a young child on a 2 mile hike or spend an entire day in Boston with a couple of toddlers? That is insane. A couple of hours in a park or on a playground would have been a lot more appropriate. But of course, that may be boring for the parents.
    If an adult get exhausted after a full day at the zoo, why stay that long? What about the children? A couple of hours would have been sufficient. Just because your ticket allows you to spend the day - does not mean you must.
    Moderation is a word many of today's parents with young children do not know.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from only-me. Show only-me's posts

[Quote] As to the hike, all children need exercise. It is good for them. We are not an overweight family and plan to stay that way. My kids are not in front of the tube and playing video games 24/7. We are outside playing. So please, dry up![/Quote]

Yes, all children do need exercise which is why 5 year olds shouldn't be riding around in a stroller and walking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from only-me. Show only-me's posts

[Quote]for all you people saying that a 4 yr should be walking around boston -
    have you ever tried to get around the city with a child???
    my child is VERY well behaved, mature and i do have control of her. HOWEVER - its the RUDE people of boston that i have gripes with. especially on the T. people barrel me over for cryin out loud and i'm an adult. for the SAFETY of my child - yes, at times she is in a small stroller. too many times she has been hit in the face by peoples laptop bags, purses. on the streets she (and me as well) have been bumped by people. sorry on a busy street i'd rather my child in a contained space that i have some control over instead of her walking wiht me but being pushed around by ignorant adults too busy talking on their cell phones and thinking they are the only ones on the sidewalks![/Quote]

Yes, there are WHOLE ENTIRE GROUPS of 4-5-6 etc. year olds in the city on field trips and on the trains/buses with only 3 maybe 4 chaperones and none of them get trampled on or hit in the face.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

I've noticed this too - funny to see kids spilling out of a stroller with feet dragging on the ground or knees in their chests. I wonder if some of this doesn't come out of the whole double stroller thing, with a place for older kids to ride along with baby. Of course I would use this for a small toddler (2-2 1/2) and probably desperately want to switch back to an umbrella stroller ASAP, but maybe parents are using it too long. What I hate to see is a kid - 8, 9, 10 years old - in the back of a shopping cart in the grocery store holding on to purchases because they are taking up the whole carriage - seriously? At that age they are old enough to help get stuff off the shelf and cut the time spent in the store in 1/2!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

[Quote]What parent, with any kind of sense, would want to walk around in town all day (stroller or no stroller) with his or her 4 year olds and then take them to a restaurant for dinner? [/Quote]

Hey Pingo -- you hit the nail on the head right there -- it comes down to parents not wanting to adapt or change their own lives and expecting their children to just fall into place as junior adults.

When my own were younger we didn't try to make them go-go-go all day and cap it off with a nice dinner out -- because we knew that even if they were well-behaved kids there were limits to how long they could behave.

When you keep a 4, 5 or 6 year old out long enough to expend so much energy they require a stroller, you've kept them out too long. Six year olds have more energy than anyone on earth, and if you've used it all up, it's time to head home.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lfp2000. Show lfp2000's posts

There is a big difference between size and maturity. You have to consider the possibliliy that these kids that you are seeing many not be as old as they seem or if they are they may not be mature for their age. Walking on a busy street with young children can be very challenging. I would think the stroller is a safety issue for many parents...it is for me. If you have a kid that will not necessarily stay with you then you really do need a way to contain them for their own safety. If you are walking on a busy sidewalk then your child needs to keep up and not constantly be in others way and needs to not go near the street....it just is not that easy for a child to do. Plus as one of the previous posters mentioned if you are in the city for the day or something of that nature it could be a lot of walking for a young child. While it is noble to think you can always avoid or plan around those situations life just does not work that way for most people. I know no child I have ever known wants to ride in a stroller so it would be hard for me to believe that any large percentage of these kids just don't want to walk. As a parent I will also add that I don't think pushing a stroller is fun so I don't see it as a convenience factor for parents either.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from only-me. Show only-me's posts

I have absolutely no problem with infants and very young tykes in strollers on the T, but these people with their 6 year olds in those ginormous Eddie Bauer Jeep LTD Edition strollers taking up space should be smacked. if your child is potty-trained, out of diapers/pull-ups, and can easily walk and stand on their own there is no need for them to be in a stroller.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red1977. Show Red1977's posts

I have definitely noticed this and am always pointing it out to my husband! And not just in the double strollers, either. I don't know, I really think 4 and 5 year olds can walk. Unless they are handicapped. For the person who commented that we couldn't understand, maybe she could explain it? I promise you that by the time I was 3, I was NOT in a stroller. I see 5- and 6-year old kids in strollers with their knees up to their chins because they are just _too_ big!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bms. Show bms's posts

I have two kids, 7 and 6. I got rid of the last stroller when kid #2 was 2.5 years old, as the double stroller was too heavy by then, and they fought over the single stroller. They have walked ever since, and lived to tell about it. They walked the Freedom Trail from the common to the Constitution at ages 6 and 5. They routinely walk a mile with me to the library. Kids learn what you teach them. If you teach them that the only way to get anywhere is to ride, then they ride.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMovieFan. Show TheMovieFan's posts

[Quote]

Funny how the people with no children have all the answers.

[/Quote]

I have a 6 year old son and I agree with all those answers. It also seems a fair number of those responding have young children or had them at one time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Tina71 - you are obviously a caring and informed parent. Why else would you think that a 5 year old was capable of walking a couple of miles on a "hike". Of course it has to do with behavior -- the parents!

I didn't think we were all talking about walking around in downtown Boston. I also see this at the mall and around my neighborhood.

I think a great rule of thumb is -- if the child's feet (or elbows) are dragging on the ground, the child is probably too old for a stroller.

And, can I add my pet peeve of those ginormous shopping carts that look like toy cars and take up the whole aisle because junior must be entertained at all times. Get out of my way! Stop knocking over the in-aisle displays!

Signed,

Cranky old lady

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Inf. Show Inf's posts

I have two kids (ages 15 and 12) and live in Boston -- there is no way I could have wrestled either of them into a stroller or shopping wagon when they were more than 3. They wanted to walk. They were self-proclaimed "big kids" -- and didn't want anything to do with a baby stroller.

To each their own.