Where to buy Halloween Costumes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Where to buy Halloween Costumes?

So my twins are three years old and it's time. We have to do Halloween this year. Where should I get costumes without breaking the bank? I need someplace with a good selection since they don't really know what they want to be and I'd hate to get somewhere and find out that there are no more firemen or ducks or whatever they have in their little heads.

Target? I Party? Walmart? Online? I'm hoping to keep it around $30 or so each and don't want to have to shop around too much. I know Kid to Kid in Natick has used ones but I thought that might be fraught with peril if one of mine fell in love with something that was the wrong size.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: Where to buy Halloween Costumes?

I have found good prices at TJMaxx/Marshalls, but selection can be a problem - they tend to have broken sizes (lots of one size, none of the next) and they don't have tons of costumes. iParty can be pretty good for selection, and usually have coupons this time of year. I have found Target to have lots of the movie/cartoon tie in type costumes, not sure if you have strong opinions on that one way or another, but that seems to be their strong suit.

My DD wants to be a pirate-princess-mermaid, so I feel you on not knowing how exactly to pull a costume off - SHe was a pirate princess last year, so maybe I just need to find a mermaid costume and creatively combine last years with that. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

BJ's had a good selection of super hero and/or princess type costumes (Disney, Spiderman, etc) for $14.99.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I was at Costco this weekend, and they had nice fabric costumes in the $17-23 range. Things like Firefighter and Policeman for boys and Mermaids, Fairies and Pirate Princesses for girls. They were sturdy enough that they could be dress up clothes, not just a Halloween costume that distingrates after one wearing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Last year I got DD's from diapers.com for like $12.99 (or maybe it was $12.99 before whatever the sale price was).  I can't recall if I had to pay shipping, but generally I only order from sites w/ free shipping.  It's a bit easier with an infant though; you can just grab some cute little Carter's costume.  Not sure what their selection is like for older kids.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

I just bought DD cosutme on Amazon. It was 20 total.  Free shipping. I ordered it saturday and should get it tomorrow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

WE ended up at Target and they totally surprised me. She went for Minnie Mouse - I think she just loved the red polka dot skirt. He wanted Woody from Toy Story. I was sure he'd want to be Thomas the Tank Engine or a fireman.

Anyway - we had fun choosing...and buying LOTS of Halloween candy - way more than we'll be able to get rid of at the door, so there's extra for Mommy and Daddy to snack on. (yum).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Misslily, so glad it was fun choosing halloween costumes! When is everyone's halloween celebrated this year, since it's on a Wednesday?  Wednesday night or Saturday the one before?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

In my town everyone goes tick or treating on Oct. 31st - no matter what night of the week it is. Seems most kids come between 7-8 pm although I wish they'd come earlier - 6-7 would be better IMHO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

My town does it on Halloween as well. 6-7 would never work for me so I'm glad it's a little later, so I can fed my son dinner. This is probably our last year or trick or treating. :(

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

As a child, I remember that the first trick or treaters would start knocking on our door when we were still eating dinner.... don't know what time that was, and we'd hustle into costumes and go with our father while my mother answered the door for the trick or treaters.  Somehow my father was always home on Halloween night although he worked about 60-70 hours/week starting a new business and wasn't home much....  he'd help us carve pumpkins the weekend before, and we'd use those on the table for candles for the week of Halloween (we always had candles for dinner at our house, period, my father loves candles)....  such a special time of year for kids!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

The Old Navy outlet store often has very cute costumes -- usually animals, lions, cows, etc. -- and I think they were lower in price than others I've seen.

I got my daughter's costume at CVS, but a) it was the only place I'd seen the one she wanted (Clawdeen from Monster High) and I had a 20% off coupon.  The costume was pricey, but the coupon helped a lot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

MissLily!  No advice (my kids do their own costumes now--and are 16 and 19 to boot!) but can not believe your twins are 3! I'm sure they will be completely adorable.  Hope all is well :-)

Did you all read the Dear Abby (I think it was Abby) about the cranky lady who sent trick or treaters away because they came too early (5 PM) and she was eating dinner?  I'll see if I can find it if anyone is interested.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

This year DS claims he wants to be Buzz...we shall see-he said the same thing last year but ended up going as a pilot. but for my back up costume I have DS' firefighter' rain coat, yellow rain boots, an empty soda bottle on his back I'll paint blue or stuff with blue tissue paper attach a hose and have that be his water tank. Top it off with a free fire hat and we've got a decent costume.

I miss the days of the home made costumes. Its sad to see how few home made ones there are...best one I saw last year was an ATM machine-kid wore a cardboard box painted to look like an ATM. And you debosited the candy in a slot in the machine. Wicked cute!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Hi Ash! Yes they are three already. They go to preschool 3 mornings a week.

And I'm the opposite of the cranky lady. I turn off all the lights at 8:00pm sharp and we hide upstairs. I want my kids to go to sleep! :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micromom. Show Micromom's posts

Amazon (hula girl for the toddler) and Old Navy (Tiger for the big brother), both cost about $12.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fazel2012. Show fazel2012's posts

MM - a hula girl sounds cute! DD is 20 months and we are going this year. She's going to be an astronaut tonight but she was a pirate for her daycare. The astronaut suit (from Amazon) is white and she would have ruined it so we just grabbed a pirate hat and sash and a clip on hoop earing from iParty to wear to daycare. She loves pirates so she can use it for dress up later and maybe we can just elaborate on that next year since she can't grow out of it. I was never a big Halloween fan (like ever) but I'm really getting into it this year!

Like lily I would like everyone to come earlier so my kid (and me!) can go to bed. :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

And this year everyone came early! We went out at 6:15 - the kids wouldn't wait another minute - and everyone else was out too. Our neighborhood was all done by 7:30. Just the way I like it.

I've got a ton of candy left - we turned out the lights while we were going door to door and by the time we got back I think we missed most of the kids in our neighborhood. Seems others did the same - we skipped lots of houses that were dark, and I know the families have young children who must have been out like us.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

In response to Winter2011Bride's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My town does it on Halloween as well. 6-7 would never work for me so I'm glad it's a little later, so I can fed my son dinner. This is probably our last year or trick or treating. :(

[/QUOTE]

Winter, I was soooo sad when it was my last year to trick or treat with my nephew!!  I feel for you!

Sections
Shortcuts