Why do Parents let their children make their own decisions when it comes to Important things?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: Why do Parents let their children make their own decisions when it comes to Important things?

In Response to Re: Why do Parents let their children make their own decisions when it comes to Important things?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do Parents let their children make their own decisions when it comes to Important things? : How is this question unanswerable ?                                                    I have met plenty of adults who's parents did not impart any belief in GOD or any religious belief.     Some of these people found GOD on their own, most did not. Their parents were raised in religious families and went to Church themselves , but did not want to "force " their believe on their child. The ones that found GOD on their own were saddened that their parents had no part to play in it ! I have obviously hit a nerve on this question. Why does this question bother you ? There is no judgement attached to this question and nobody is being forced to enter this forum. The way that I have been attacked from the beginning is absolutely astounding. The question is not framed specifically to dental hygiene. Any examples made are just examples. If I have misspelled any words ,or have used bad grammar , forgive me .
    Posted by Heisinberg[/QUOTE]
    So are you talking about GOD now? Where did that come from?

Don't get all j'accusy with everyone else over your own inability to formulate a coherent question. And don't get upset if the answer you receive isn't the one you wanted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Why do Parents let their children make their own decisions when it comes to Important things?

The fact is, if you could have written a cohesive, concrete question it would have been answerable and you wouldn't have stirred up a hornet's nest with your ambiguity.

There's poor grammar and there's an inabilty to convey your thoughts.  You've got a problem with both and blame everyone for responding poorly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Go Kar (always hitting the nail on the head!)

Anyway, the family I mentioned on "Radical Parenting" had stemed their philosophy from not wanting to influence their kids unduly and let them express themselves without crushing them.  I think both parents had strict upbrigings and power struggles with their parents which may have lead to this decision.

They also had a lifestyle that enabled them to be mostly stay at home parents and home-schoolers.  The poor behaviors (like bad hygine, wanting to stay up late, not brushing teeth, eating junk food) that the kids would exhibit were mostly self correcting.  People would comment to the kids that they smelled and not liking that the kids would take baths.  Junk food just wasn't a part of their family's diet so it wasn't really an issue.  And the kids would miss out on fun activities if they stayed up all night and slept through the day thereby missing a trip to the museum or whatnot.  Same thing for teeth brushing.  Kids modeled the good behavior of their parents and taught them about cavities, nutrition and hygine and the importance of each.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It sounds like an anomoly that would be difficult to replicate for most families, but it's an interesting study nonetheless that some good lessons can be drawn from.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I haven't seen any angry responses. Are you okay?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Never mind, I actually don't really care.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Ugh. I'll bite one last time... you say there is no judgement behind your post, but yet you ask why parents allow their children to make their own decisions when it comes to important issues, and then mention that some kid's teeth rotted out because their parents didn't enforce brushing.

So, really - you've created your own opinion about something and you're asking strangers to tell you why? What?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not angry.   I don't even HAVE kids.  Your agenda is an enigma to me, and your communication "style" even more so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Where's the bowl of popcorn?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Here's your answer.... at the 1 minute 15 second mark.

http://movieclips.com/c9Qb-my-cousin-vinny-movie-automotive-expert/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

On unparenting: I wrote a blog post on MomonReserve about that last year. It's kind of a creepy/cultish non-approach to parenting and the kids profiled were hellions as a result.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Whats the deal with Parent's these day's?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Oh man. You know what I hate more parents? Grammar. Yeah, grammar can go f itself. Parents, too. But especially grammar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Parents just don't understand.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

I have to say I am actually a little surprised at everyone's response to Heisinberg's original post.  Heis got inflammatory later so I understand the subsequent responses but not so much to the original.

I am a lover of grammar.  However, I certainly understand that not everyone feels the same way and don't think I need to look down at those people. Seems sort of, well, judgemental.  I also understand that people tend to be more casual in this setting when posting (i.e. note last sentence of mine).  If it were a resume or CV then forget it.

I am also suprised that people are unaware of parents who do act the way it was mentioned in the original post.
    Dental caries is the number one childhood disease. Everyday I see kids who have huge cavities and are obese.  Maybe it just is not happening in your circles.

I think the original post was probably sincere and I would also say that parents not guiding their children down a healthy path and putting in the hard work now is an epidemic. I could go on forever about the examples I see of this everyday .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: Why do Parents let their children make their own decisions when it comes to Important things?:
    [QUOTE]I have to say I am actually a little surprised at everyone's response to Heisinberg's original post.
    Posted by luckinlife[/QUOTE]
    Oh, it's been in here trying to stir the pot for a while. It baits the hook and then starts insulting anyone who bites. You're just seeing the results of some previous bad acts. And the grammar stuff is just because it's been insulting responders' intelligence in a pot-kettle manner.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

It also deleted most of its lamer past posts, incidentally, so you can only see the more idiotic ones --  for instance, where it calls me fat, old, and ... actually not totally sure what the body pillow one was about but presumably it's something to do with brutal rejection in the marital bed -- in quoted responses. It's a shame because some of its stuff about mothers being too nice to newborns was really choice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from luckinlife. Show luckinlife's posts

Oh, ok.  I must have jumped in the middle of something.
    Even as a fat, old,brutally rejected lemon I am a fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

ha ha! You're funny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

You definitely asked lemon who laid her panties out for her and then when she replied you told her she was too old to understand your joke and that you pitied her poor husband.  I think you pitied my husband too at one point.  I don't why some of your weirder comments were deleted. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

You absolutely said those things. Go back to middle school.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do Parents let their children make their own decisions when it comes to Important things? : I never said any of those things. You're a big, fat liar. you started picking on my gramma , and she's to old to defend herself.
    Posted by Heisinberg[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

I have to throw my hat in too and say that you are absolutely lying Heis.  We've all been reading your posts and just because you've deleted them doesn't mean they never exsisted.  I sincerely feel that your inital post was to spark a lively discussion that took a nasty turn.  Your approach and subsequent name calling is what piss*d people off.

Instead of waging a war of words over the internet you should just back off.  This is a constructive forum and to be frank, I'm getting sick of you monopolizing the boards with your rants and petty remarks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

And it's MS. Lemon (if you're nasty)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

ahahaha

[QUOTE]And it's MS. Lemon (if you're nasty)
    Posted by lemonmelon[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ModeratorJen. Show ModeratorJen's posts

Truce, people?  I'm thinking we should just let this one go....