Your favorite children's book?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Your favorite children's book?

Happy Children's Book Week!
    What is your favorite children's book?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMMZ1012. Show KMMZ1012's posts

Re: Your favorite children's book?

When I was little, my favorite children's books were the Frances books by Russell & Lillian Hoban (then Anne of Green Gables as I got older).

As a parent with a small child, my favorite children's books are whatever makes my littlest happy.  It's with a lot of joy that I can tell you, he loves my Frances books as much as I do.  In terms of what I love to read to him (besides Frances), Little Pea and the Pigeon Books.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The Velveteen Rabbit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fakinbacon. Show fakinbacon's posts

The Missing Piece

or 

The Giving Tree

Two of my personal favorites from childhood (Shel Silverstein).  I can still recite lines from both!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

A favorite children's book? You mean I have to pick one? Impossible!
    There are way too many great book out there, but some of my (and DD's) favorites include:
    Goodnight Moon
    Are you my Mother
    Most of Sandra Boynton's books
    There's a Monster at the End of this Book
    Amelia Bedilia
    Bread and Jam for Frances (the others are great too, but DD loves the Jam song)
    Fairy tales like Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, and The Three Little Pigs
    Who's Mouse Are you?
    Winnie the Pooh

There are so many more, but those are just a few of our faves.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Right now the favorites around here are "If you Give a Moose a Muffin" and "If you Give a Pig a Pancake" as well as the others in that series.
    We love Barnyard Dance and Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton - as well as most of her other books.
    Cat in the Hat and One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish.
    And I bought Go Dog Go! last week and they love that too!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

I think mine is pretty obvious. Laughing

I also love Make Way for Ducklings. It's my standard new baby gift.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from capecod1818. Show capecod1818's posts

I would second all of Misslily's books and add a few more:  The Little Blue Truck & Where the Wild Things are.  Was sad to hear the author passed away.  My son absolutely loves this book.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

This:

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Little-Golden-Readers-Diane/dp/0307602060

I named my cat after the main character.

Also Morris' Disappearing Bag! Love that book.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ladyboston. Show ladyboston's posts

My all time favorite book as a child was Chicken Soup With Rice: A Book of Months by Maurice Sendak. I still have my copy from first grade (1990 and still in OK condition haha) and my daughter got her own copy from my mother after she was born. I hope she likes the book as much as me!
    Of course Make Way for Ducklings, Where the Wild Things Are (off topic but the movie was so strange, nothing like the book. Although I am not sure if it was suppose to be an adaptation??) The Cat Came Back and Goodnight Moon will always be classics.
    For my baby shower we had everyone bring a book for the baby and write a special message on the inside, we got some great books including tons of Dr.Suess, Madeline, Brown Bear, Berenstain Bears (another childhood favorite of mine) and many other awesome books. I am so glad we did that, my child (only 7 months) already has a library to write home about!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

My favorite was always "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats. DS (2.7) currently loves "Corduroy", "Harold and the Purple Crayon", and "Go, Dog, Go". I can't wait for my boys to be old enough for some of my favorite chapter books like "Charlotte's Web", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", and "Where the Red Fern Grows".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

kiwi, I'd forgotten about "The Snowy Day," but that was one of my favs, too.  And, "Where the Red Fern Grows" was another along with Charlotte's Web - I sobbed at the end of both.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

misslily, we love the "If you give.." books too! I just read to my son's preschool class and I was trying to decide the perfect book to bring. I finally settled on "If You Give a Cat a Cupcake" and they loved it.
    So many good ones mentioned here...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

DD's favorite is something like Good Morning, Goodnight.  The pages fold out and there is a furry animal underneath that she can pet.

My favorites growing up have been mentioned: Madeline, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Charlotte's Web...  Some that haven't been mentioned are Polar Express, which I loooved, and Jumanji.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Someone gave me Harold and the Purple Crayon. I remember really liking it as a child. But I have such trouble with DS drawing on things that aren't paper I'm afraid to read it to him!

I can't wait for the chaper book stage either. EVeryone mentioned by favorites: Charlotte's Web, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - and I used to love books about Paddington Bear.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I loved Curious George when I was little and of course Cat in the Hat.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dz76. Show dz76's posts

My favorite when I was a kid was Leo the Late Bloomer. 

Right now DD1 loves to be read Disney stories and Llama Llama Red Pajama.  She can actually recite the bulk of it.  If I start a line she will finish it.  Unless she doesn't want to go to bed then the only thing she'll say is "Nothing" 

The twins love Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb.  I've taken to hiding it on occasion to get a break from it but they always find it.  :-) 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

My favorites were all the Amelia Bedelia books.  I always laughed so hard that I would start hiccuping.  

My son is really starting to enjoy books, finally!  He loves the Llama Llama books.  And at night he almost always grabs and wants me to read him Goodnight Moon and The Going to Bed Book by Boynton.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

My favorite from growing up isn't one of the usuals but I still can't get enough...

A Three Hat Day

I can't wait until our LO arrives so we can read to him or her.  For my shower one of my cousins had her kids (8 and 6) go through their books gift a whole bunch of them to the LO.  It was such a sweet gift.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

The Monster at the End of This Book...who knew four year olds could understand meta-fiction?  But we did. (BTW the new Another Monster at the End of This Book with Elmo is absolutely horrendous, he is such a whiny pain in the fur.)

And, can't remember the name of it...Sherlock Hemlock tries to figure out a mystery that looks like the remains of a birthday party and thinks it's from Tweedlebugs holding their jellybean dance and being chased away by a candle-throwing monster...turns out there was a birthday party and then all these Tweedlebugs showed up...

My kids' favorites: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day;  the Mercer Mayer Little Critter stories;  Green Eggs and Ham;  and now that they are older they love Horrible Harry and Geronimo Stilton, and any poetry book by Jack Prelutsky.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, a poetry book mention, purplecow, reminds me of how much I loved Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patches2. Show patches2's posts

Anything by Mercer Mayer, and The Poky Puppy (or The Poky Little Puppy).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from masslawmom. Show masslawmom's posts

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans.  I love all the Madeline books, and had I had a daughter I would have named her Madeline.  I did name my first Golden Retriever, Genevieve, after the dog in Madeline's Rescue.  Bit obsessed...It was the only book I would check out of the library from the time I was 3 to about age 7.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lukeseri58. Show lukeseri58's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite children's book?:
    [QUOTE]The Velveteen Rabbit
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

oh my god -- that is my favorite book of all time (children's or adults - east of eden is my favorite adult book) -- every time i know someone who has a baby i buy that book --

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Your favorite children's book?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Your favorite children's book? : oh my god -- that is my favorite book of all time (children's or adults - east of eden is my favorite adult book) -- every time i know someone who has a baby i buy that book --
    Posted by lukeseri58[/QUOTE]

My mom had never read it before she read it to me, and she sobbed when she got to "...that's when you become Real." I had no earthly idea why she was crying because it wasn't sad, lol.  I'm not sure I could read it aloud and not cry, now.  It's also my favorite book of all time.

(How's Emma?)