Your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCKristi. Show BDCKristi's posts

Your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

Happy birthday Dr. Seuss! (The popular children's book author, whose real name is Theodor Seuss Geisel, was born March 2, 1904 in Springfield). In honor of his birthday, we want to know your favorite Dr. Seuss book!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Re: Your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

Around here we love them all. As a child, my favorite was Green Eggs and Ham. My kids adore One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and The Cat in the Hat. And I do like trying to get through Fox in Sox!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from purplecow89. Show purplecow89's posts

Favorite book--Green Eggs and Ham and the Grinch are in a tie, with the Lorax not far behind.

Not the favorite book, but my favorite line is from The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, which we quote whenever someone is attention-seeking to an unusual degree:

Look at me, look at me, look at me NOW!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chiclet831. Show Chiclet831's posts

My favorite is the lesser-known "I Am Not Going to Get Up Today". Who hasn't had those days!?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I like the Foot Book: ... oh how many feet you meet!

At our center today, we celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday - each of our classrooms focused on a different book and did activities based on that: today various children (all under the age of 21/2 yrs old) did foot painting, painted on feet cutouts, stood and had their feet traced, used red and blue rice in the sensory table, and looked for red (swedish) fish in jello, using spoons to dig for the fish.  Oh, and used pompoms and plates to make trees.  Of course, they also had many Dr. Seuss books read to them!

And... the adults in our toddler room (and me!) discovered that red swedish fish in yellow jello makes the red leech out of the fish into the surrounding jello, making the yellow jello orange, and when you dig the fish out, they are now pink!  And don't come out as a whole, because they are very soft and break up!

I also learned about a new Seuss book: In the People House, by Theo LeSieg (get it? Theodore Geisel backwards, tricky man!) because one of our infant rooms used that as their featured book. 

So we all learned something new today and had a fun day!

Monday the photos taken will be posted to document it all for parents!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

The Butter Battle Book and Fox in Sox

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

And just this week we bought "There's a Wocket in my Pocket" another by Theo LeSieg. It's the new favorite!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kiwigal. Show kiwigal's posts

"And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street", mostly because I know the Mulberry Street in Springfield that was the inspiration. 

Speaking of which, the Dr. Suess park is worth a visit if you find yourself in Springfield on a nice day. http://www.catinthehat.org/memorial.htm

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chubby. Show Chubby's posts

I Had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew. 

It's not just my favorite Dr. Seuss book.  It is my favorite book.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from QuigLewis. Show QuigLewis's posts

I loved reading "Fox in Socks" aloud to my kids when they were little.  So difficult, and we always ended up laughing.  They are teenagers now, but I love that memory. 

I also love, "Oh the Places You'll Go" since it is so inspirational for any new journey.  In fact, it fits the teenagers; particularly the one graduating from high school this year.

I can't remember the name of it, but I bought a book he wrote for adults for my dad when he turned 60.  Very funny stuff about doctors and the unknown. 

In short, is there a book of Dr. Suess' that I DIDN'T like?  I don't think so, Sam I am!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhc90. Show mhc90's posts

All the Whos down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville, did not.  The Grinch hated Christmas...but I love the Grinch.  Also the Lorax and most of the others.   Happy Birthday, Dr. Suess.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Whenever my daughter is putting her shoes on, I remind her "never forget to be dextrous and deft and never mix up the right foot with the left" from Oh, the Places You'll Go.  Mostly because I think it to myself whenever I put my shoes on.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

Fox in Sox-especially when I try and get DS to repeat after me. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

We are currently reading Horton Hatches the Egg... over and over and over!  At least it's one of his more enjoyable reads.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonPovertyLaw. Show BostonPovertyLaw's posts

My favorite Dr. Seuss book is Horton Hears a Who. Dedicated to a Japanese friend, it is Dr. Seuss's refutation of and apology for his human rights crimes during World War II when he made racist cartoons as part of the propaganda effort demanding the internment of Japanese Americans.

Dr. Seuss Racist Anti-Japanese Propaganda And His Apology

Sections
Shortcuts