15months and loveys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

15months and loveys

My 15 month old is all of a sudden obsessed with his lovey. He absolutely will not let it go at daycare and keeps it throughout the night. He wants it while eating too, which is so odd as he's usually great about focusing on his food When I try to remove it he cries such sad tears. Not angry, tantrum tears but like I'm really hurting him. Is this a stage, the age? Did this happen to anyone else? He has a different one in his crib, and at night he clutches it throughout the whole night. Daycare says he has great days, lots of smiles and fun so doesn't sound like anything has changed there. He just needs this crutch all of a sudden.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

Re: 15months and loveys

IPW- my DS goes through phases with it. We set up rules about it. We ask him to throw it (and his pacifier) into the crib in the morning, and then we have a "car lovey" which he has to leave it the car. This system has worked well, because they put it down (not you taking it away) and it becomes routine. 

I have to say though, that sometimes I want him to have it (pedi visit last week) and he keeps throwing it back into the car. kinda funny.  but it was the only way we could keep it out of dinner- and i was petrified there would be fights over it at daycare, so they actually worked on removing it there for that reason. (there is still a back up one, just in case, but rarely used.)

however, if I am ever to take it away- same thing. huge crocodile tears.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds normal to me if my nutty friends and their kids are any indication. ;)

Honestly, I made a blanket for a friend's baby that she got so attached to that the mom joked that her daughter would carry it down the aisle at her wedding.  She also asked me to make a smaller version of it for the car and daycare (which seemed to work just as well).  My friend also told me I'd be responsible for any therapy bills that come of it, lol.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

My kids go through phases with their loveys.  We have very few rules about the loveys.  They carry them back and forth to my mother's the 4 days/week that they're there.  If they want to bring them in the car, that's fine but we have a pretty strict rule that loveys don't go into stores/museums/playspaces/etc. (doctor's office is a big exception). We've come to a compromise about dinner.  They can put them on the floor behind their chairs OR they can ask us to put them someplace away from the table where they can see them, but they can't have them AT the table.  They also can't bring them in the bathroom.

I don't quite remember at this point, but somewhere along the way, DD started carrying around 4 loveys and DS started carrying around 2.  We started out with the intention of rotating them (clean/dirty), having ones that stayed at our house, one each at my mother's house, but somewhere along the way, the battles didn't seem worth it.  We got 4 sets of loveys at the baby shower/when the kids were born--4 pink and 4 corresponding blue ones.  We immediately proceeded to lose one of the blue ones.  No idea what happened to it, but it probably inadvertently got thrown away with wrapping paper or something like that.  So we were down to seven.  One each to my Mom's--down to five at our house.  DD had the 3 pink and DS had the 2 blue.  Somewhere along the way, DD decided she liked one style of lovey and DS liked the other style.  DD ended up with 2 pink, 1 blue; DS ended up with 1 pink, 1 blue.  And they had to have all of them all the time.  They would freak out if one was "missing" (in the laundry).  And then DD decided that the one at my Mom's had to come back and forth with her too.  Ultimately, it's not that big a deal.  If they're feeling upset or stressed in any way, they look for their loveys and cuddle with them and they calm them down like nothing else.  If DS gets hurt, he runs for his loveys and wants his lovey to kiss it.  How's that for rejection?  He wants his loveys to kiss him rather than the nearest adult. :)

I'm just resigned to it and don't really give it much thought anymore.  My experience, though, is that it IS normal to go through very strong attachment phases with the loveys and then they'll back off and cycle back around again.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Kar - that is so sweet!!  I bet you were tickled pink :) (I would be)

IPW - My DD (20 months) became attached to her Pooh Bear at some point recently , though I can't remember exactly when.  It goes through phases.  Sometimes she has a teether she really wants, sometimes a stuffed animal.  Sometimes she can live without the lovey of the moment, sometimes she can't.  I'm sure it's all normal and I doubt he'll walk down the aisle with it :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from quadgirl1234. Show quadgirl1234's posts

DD has so many loveys and blankies and goes through phases with each of them.  We have some rules, as they dont go in stores, bathroom, etc... but for the most part she always has them around.  She bonds to different ones at different times and most of them stay in her bed.   If she flips out when I have to take it away, I dont take it, I just tell her to leave it and she is pretty good with that. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from IPWBride. Show IPWBride's posts

Thanks for sharing your stories.  I'm not so much worried about him taking it to high school... just thought it was so odd that he never really cared for it much before and all of a sudden he literally can't move without holding it.  Just wanted to make sure nothing has happened to him at daycare or something that has caused him to be scared.  Good to see others are using it just as a comfort as they are becomming more and more aware of the giant world they live in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: 15months and loveys:
    Kar - that is so sweet!!  I bet you were tickled pink :) (I would be)
    Posted by Trouble30

Thanks, Trouble, I really was. <blush>

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Maybe this newfound attachment is a developmental thing?  I remember my DD wasn't very interested in a lovey at all until about that age (16 months, maybe?) then she started to get attached to her silky blanket.  It had been around since birth but suddenly upon her turning 16 months or so it went from being a random blanket to SilkyBlanket.  Because she'd gone so long without one I found it easier to restrict her use of it.  She keeps it in the house and if we are going somewhere and we won't be back until later than usual we bring it in the car (but she can't take it out of the car)--basically, if we have to pack her pajamas for the ride home, we bring SilkyBlanket. 

She has also rotated her preferred stuffed animals pretty regularly (as daisy mentioned)  None of the them can hold a candle to SilkyBlanket but depending on the week they can seem important to her.  Also her favorite doll (she has like 9 or something ridiculous like that at this point) has an old receiving blanket that is ITS lovey.  So sometimes her doll has a tantrum (she gives the doll a voice, makes its little plastic limbs flail in anger, etc.) if the doll's lovey cannot be found. 

This isn't usually too annoying, though, since she tends to pretend to soothe the doll as well and usually retrieves the doll's lovey herself and then says it's time for the doll to take a nap and throws it behind the couch.  So I don't know. 

Sections
Shortcuts