2.5 week old and sleeping

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

2.5 week old and sleeping

Hi all - apologies if this has been recently covered, I haven't been on the boards too much lately!

My 2.5 week old HATES her bassinette.  The second we put her in it - awake or asleep - she instantly is awake and fussing, and will eventually start crying.  I basically have to keep my hand in the bassinette on her to try and comfort her and also keep the pacifier in her mouth (if she wants it).

Overall she is not a fussy baby, no GI issues that I know of, no other issues.  I'm wondering if it's simply that she's not cozy on her back in the bassinette.  She sleeps like a dream in her swing and even in the boppy, but of course I can't sleep while she's in either.  I may try her in her carseat in the bassinette.  But I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about how to get her to sleep in her bassinette.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Re: 2.5 week old and sleeping

I let my daughter sleep in the swing. I think at 2.5 weeks, sleep is a "by any means necessary" thing. My daughter did eventually learn to sleep in her bassinet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

It's a newborn thing - my DD was the same way and grew out of it at 12 weeks (!!).  I'm sure that's not what you want to hear though. 

One trick that sometimes worked for us to get her in the crib (and off of us) at night was to put a hot water bottle or heating pad in her bed to warm it up, and then remove it just before you stick her in.  So she doesn't get the shock of the cold sheet and wake up. 

A second trick that sometimes worked was to put her down on her stomach (if she likes being on her tummy) and then to flip her over after she fell asleep.

Good luck!  You might not think so now, but you'll soon miss these snuggly newborn days when DD gets a few months older wants to be doing stuff rather than laying on you! :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc428. Show jc428's posts

Both of my children preferred a semi-upright position for sleeping, so a flat bassinet didn't work.  We used the Fisher-Price baby papasan for the first few months.  I saw this product in a magazine and wished I'd had one a few years ago: 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Hey there Poppy (and congrats)!  These first few months can be really frustrating when Baby only wants to sleep on top of you or be held at all times.  Definately try swaddling and rocking/shimmying.  Happiest Baby on the Block (book and DVD) is a great resource for getting through the difficult first few months.  Often when they aren't being held and getting those constanty tiny movements and are placed on a stable and non-moving surface, they start themselves awake.  Swaddling can definately help null that effect.  DH and I wore DS around a lot and the movement would having him nodding off in just minutes, then we would transfer him once he fell asleep and then jostle/rock him a bit in his bassinet or on the bed if we put him there to make sure he would stay down.  And he definately spent lots of time sleeping in his baby swing which he loved.  I was so bummed when he started getting more control over his body and we had to transfer him into something safer.  

You can also add white noise to the mix (either a regular white noise machine or a baby noises CD).  Some people swear by a radio left between stations.

Sleeping in a baby swing or bouncer is fine - the baby is usually reclined far enough to keep the head lilted back and airway open.  Infant car seats can get a bad reputation because the baby isn't always reclined enough to combat the head lolling forward.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Poppy our DS had the same issue as well.  We found that he really liked sleeping on his side so a friend gave me "especially for baby breathe easy sleep positioner".  Basically its these two triangles that velcro to a small blanket.  We would position DS between the triangles on his side and he would sleep great.  I have read that these aren't safe (though I feel like everything isn't safe according to someone) but they worked great for us.  We made sure the triangles were no where near his head so nothing would restrict his breathing.  The triangles helped keep him from rolling onto his belly.  After a couple of weeks he then preferred his back...I feel like if you blink they like something completely different!  I have also put him in his swing and our pack n play has a bassinet feature that he absolutely loved as well!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Hi Poppy,
    I like KTs advice and sleeping anyway baby can is a-ok.   DS did some stretches in the swing, bouncy, etc.  At 2.5 weeks though, I took the plunge and put him in the crib... he did MUCH better there than the bassinet.  Maybe it was the mattress or something... he just never like the bassinet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stefani2. Show stefani2's posts

hi poppy - are you swaddling her?  might help?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

THANK YOU so much everyone, I'm feeling more empowered now. :)

We have been swaddling her in one of those SwaddleMes just about every night and last night I really felt that she was struggling to escape the whole night.  We're going to try swaddling her differently tonight so that her arms are free (that's how we did it in the hospital).  I'm glad to hear some of you had your LOs sleep in their swings, etc.  My mom has me paranoid (e.g., "Well I wouldn't do that!")  She also loves napping propped up in the boppy - has anyone ever had their baby sleep that way, in the bassinette?

Probably at about 1 month we'll move her to her crib - maybe she'll like that mattress better. Trouble - I did have someone recommend the hot water bottle thing, perhaps we'll try that.  And you're right - as challenging as the newborn days (and nights) can be, I already am dreading her "growing up"!  She's so cozy and cuddly.

JC - that nap nanny is fascinating - I want one for me!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lissafro. Show lissafro's posts

Swaddling might help.

Also, have you washed all the sheets on the basinette in unscented, mild detergent?  Maybe there's a smell that's bothering her or something weird like that?

You could try having her sleep in the carseat.  Just strap her in so there's no strangulation hazard with the straps. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

Hi Poppy - Sorry to hear Miss Zoe isn't sleeping as you would hope. We had the same problem, she wouldn't sleep in her cradle. Our solution eventually (after too many nights of sleeping in the recliner with her on me, and her in the carseat with me on the couch) was the Snugglenest, a bassinet that we could put in our bed between us up between our pillows.

I know people have very strong feelings about this, I never expected to co-bed myself but the reality was we were already co-bedding, the Snugglenest just allowed me to be more comfortable. At 10 weeks she just got too wiggly and moved over to the cradle without any trouble. I have no regrets about this, we are looking into new, safe options for co-bedding now that she's wiggly.

I've also learned I have to wrap a blanket around her that can stay with her in the cradle - like someone else says, it's a warmth issue as long as she stays warm, she'll stay asleep when you put her down.

Good luck, you are definitely on the right track!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

We found that our daughter slept better if she had one of my shirts in with her. I tied a knot in the middle for safety. She liked the scent on it -- the smellier the better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KAM2007. Show KAM2007's posts

I'm with Lemon-DS would wake up every time I moved him away from me to put him in the crib/basinette. So I took a t-shirt I slept and nursed him in and layed him on top of it. And he slept just fine then. He loves the smell of me. :)

And yes, sleep anyway you can! You will miss these snuggly times!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbkp. Show kbkp's posts

In Response to 2.5 week old and sleeping:

We had the same problem with our little man...and my sister-in-law gave me the best advice...

Get a receiving blanket and rub it on you...get your scent on the blanket. I even got some of my milk and rubbed it into the blanket. The next night I did all that...slept great! He just wanted to smell me while sleeping.

Good luck!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhazel1204. Show mhazel1204's posts

Hi all - apologies if this has been recently covered, I haven't been on the boards too much lately! My 2.5 week old HATES her bassinette.  The second we put her in it - awake or asleep - she instantly is awake and fussing, and will eventually start crying.  I basically have to keep my hand in the bassinette on her to try and comfort her and also keep the pacifier in her mouth (if she wants it). Overall she is not a fussy baby, no GI issues that I know of, no other issues.  I'm wondering if it's simply that she's not cozy on her back in the bassinette.  She sleeps like a dream in her swing and even in the boppy, but of course I can't sleep while she's in either.  I may try her in her carseat in the bassinette.  But I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about how to get her to sleep in her bassinette.
    Posted by poppy609

We had the same issues with our 2 week old. Have you tried placing a flannel receiving blanket in the bassinet over the sheet? Our baby was bothered by the coldness of the sheet. Now that we placed the blanket over it, she does a lot better. We tuck it around the mattress so it doesn't come loose. We also have her sleep in a Halo Sleep Sack.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

DS is still super picky about where he will sleep.  He never really got used to the co-sleeper and we were relieved once we moved to the crib because he slept so soundly.  It really could just be the mattress in your basinette.

The tag on the Boppy says not to let baby sleep in it but we did it.....I felt so bad at first but no one was getting any sleep!  We put it right in the co sleeper and let the little man snooze in the middle. At that age, I was up every 2/3 hours to feed anyways so I didn't feel there was a real "risk" since nursing was taking an hour, we would burp/snuggle for 30 mins and then he would sleep for an hour - 90mins. He also didn't move or wiggle much. We did have to stop once we noticed him scooting down futher and further into the middle of the boppy!  One of the nurses at our pedi office even recommended it so it's a judgement call on what you are comfortable with.

I also second wrapping a flannel blanket around the basinette mattress. We do this with a micro-micro fleece blanket in DS' crib. Seriously it worked like a charm.  He's still not sleeping through the night but he's atleast back to 4-5 hour stretches. I imagine the cold cotton sheet was jolting him awake when he would roll over.

Oh and talk about picky, he wont sleep in the pack and play either. At daycare the kid sleeps on a quilt on her floor!  Happy as a little piglet!

If the swing works for now, use it. USE WHATEVER GETS YOU AND DH THE MOST SLEEP.  DS slept in his swing for naps when I was on leave and it was a saver because he has/had reflux and the elvated position really helped. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from winter09wedding. Show winter09wedding's posts

I agree with the other posters- smells and warmness are very important.  I actually took home one of the sleep pad thingies (towel like) from the hospital bassinet and he continues to put his head on that (less sheet washing for us). however, my little guy didn't like "vast spaces" for lack of a better term.  it was also a problem in his crib... he needed to feel close to something (Even if it wasn't me), so I put his feet close to the bottom where he could reach and tap the side.  In the big crib (which until recently we were only using for "hang here while i go to the bathroom") I have had to do the same thing- if he goes in the center of the space, he gets upset- but if his hand can reach the side (even barely) he is fine.

and as much as I loved 'happiest baby', my kid was not a swaddler. He hated having his arms restricted. He can tolerate the sleep sacks as long as they are big enough to allow him to kick and move his legs around. (now the shushing has been a godsend)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Poppy, Swaddling was going to be my suggestion, too, but maybe this will help: DS hated the bassinette because he could touch the sides with his hands when he flailed around. He did much better in the crib. Good luck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsBride. Show BsBride's posts

My son was the same, hated sleeping lying flat basically. We got the Fisher Price Rock and Play, and he instantly started sleeping 3-4 hour stretches, which was heaven compared to me sleeping with one hand inside his bassinet at all times. Best baby product I purchased. We just moved him to his crib last week, he's six months and 20 pounds and 29 inches, so it can fit a tiny baby all the up to my porker.

Hi all - apologies if this has been recently covered, I haven't been on the boards too much lately! My 2.5 week old HATES her bassinette.  The second we put her in it - awake or asleep - she instantly is awake and fussing, and will eventually start crying.  I basically have to keep my hand in the bassinette on her to try and comfort her and also keep the pacifier in her mouth (if she wants it). Overall she is not a fussy baby, no GI issues that I know of, no other issues.  I'm wondering if it's simply that she's not cozy on her back in the bassinette.  She sleeps like a dream in her swing and even in the boppy, but of course I can't sleep while she's in either.  I may try her in her carseat in the bassinette.  But I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about how to get her to sleep in her bassinette.
    Posted by poppy609

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Ok, so last night I elevated one part of the mattress by folding a small towel and placing it under the mattress on one side, and I changed how I was swaddling her (left her arms free).  She slept a little better.  She also happened to be wide awake from 8-10pm, which also may have helped.  Tonight I think I will add a flannel receiving blanket that I'll get my scent on and lie her on top of.  Great advice!

Sections
Shortcuts