2yo doesn't like hair washing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3908853. Show user_3908853's posts

2yo doesn't like hair washing

hi everyone....would like to ask for any helpful hints to share with my frustrated DIL who is having trouble with the 2yo grandbaby.....she  has decided she doesn't care for bathtime/in particular--shampoo. she is having a breakdown; getting worked up enough that she threw up supper when she thought she was going to have to get her hair washed! DIL doesn't know what to try next....older daugher never had this issue. please help with any ideas you all may have used to end bath-time horror show!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnnFox8011. Show AnnFox8011's posts

Re: 2yo doesn't like hair washing

Perhaps getting her the Corolle bath baby (a doll that can get wet and floats in the bath)--my daugher loved this product, and you can get it at a great price on amazon. If she's focused on cleaning her own "baby" in the bath, she may not care as much about getting her hair washed. We also use a tiny bit of unscented kid's bubble bath from Whole Foods--another thing that makes bathtime really fun and takes the focus away from the less-desired hair washing routine.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3908853. Show user_3908853's posts

thanks for your input. will pass this along to her.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

Maybe you could try a wet washcloth outside of the bath first and that way she won't get her hair wet in the bath?  My daughter is not a fan of water on her face, but we usually can wash her hair as long as she's not getting it on her face at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Maybe she got some in her mouth (yuck!) or eyes and now fears it?  Maybe try another baby shampoo with a different scent.

I use Garden Girl products and they have this aromatherapy baby wash/shampoo in one with calming lavendar scent:  GG Baby

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bean78. Show bean78's posts

my son went through the same thing right around 2 as well. He was even afraid of baths in general...(when I would go to put him in he would cling to me like a monkey and act like I was trying to stick him in a vat of acid.)  Shampooing was a big deal with him and the only way to get him to do it even now (at 4) is with a washcloth over his face so that nothing goes near his eyes. It really just took time with him to get him used to it again. I even got into the tub with him a few times to try to console him...all I can say is that she will grow out of it. And maybe washing her hair in the sink might be another option?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

Have you tried taking a shower instead?  Maybe if you take one with her it can be a fun thing to do to each other?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ja-dee. Show ja-dee's posts

SarahinActon, you took the words out of my mouth so to speak!!!! 

Also,  My 3 year old showers and hates the bath but for his hair,  i use either a squirt bottle for rinsing or a pail they have that is supposed to be for rinsing hair (walmart or target or other stores). it gets in his face... but for my boy,i have learned that it isn't so much the water but more the temp of the water.    The water feels nice when it is on your body but the face is more sensitive so also turn the temp down a little then you can turn it slightly back when done rinsing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

My DD went thru a phase around 22-23 months where she hated the bath as well - this from a kid that previoulsy LOVED it!  DH, who was the lead bath man at the time took it pretty hard!  Luckily it was just a phase and she's back to loving it now, but from what I recal from my reading at the time, it's pretty normal at this age... just when you think you have them figured out... :)  best of luck ti your DIL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrashClark. Show CrashClark's posts

One thing I have done with my daughter (also 2...she got a little fussy with baths as well; she had deduced that with a bath, bedtime was not far off...) was to make it more interactive.  Washcloths are helpful, I (I'm her dad) also lean into the tub and let her wash my hair and rinse it as well.  We've made the bath a silly fun time and it seems to work.  I think sometimes when we're stressed with the rigors of daily life we forget that these moments are precious and don't last forever.  My guess is that your DIL gets stressed when it is time for a bath (amazing what these little ones pick up on) and it snowballs from there.  What I'm trying to say is to remind your DIL to step back and realize that these moments are precious and don't last forever.  If she can make bathtime a fun interactive experience for all, she might meet less resistance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3908853. Show user_3908853's posts

want to thank everyone for the replies today. DIL has been doing the face cloth over the eyes routine but just not cutting it anymore. hopefully she'll grow out of this phase quickly. will pass on your hints to her.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from canukgrl. Show canukgrl's posts

I just remembered one more thing - we had a few tub toys, stacking cups at first, and now some foam letters that seemed to help her get thru it... now she's picking out the letters of her own name while we wash her hair... similar to what Crash had to say, making it fun might help

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oldchild, your post brings back fond memories of Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi shampoo.  Gosh, I loved that gentle, coconutty scent.  Why did I ever switch?  I can't remember...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from see3132. Show see3132's posts

My son is 3 and started with the same behavior maybe 6 or more months ago.  It may be a stage, but for me, it's lasting a long time!  Anyways, I still give him a bath in his little baby tub -- not the big tub.  I have him lie down in the tub and rest his head on the edge and then we do his hair "salon style."  I told him that's how they do it when Mommy gets her hair cut.  He holds a washcloth over his eyes.  It's been working well for us.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

Looks like an old thread here, but I wanted to add that when I was that age, my mother used to wash our hair in the sink.  We'd lay on our back on the counter next to the sink and it was like having your hair washed at the salon.  It was so my mother could effectively wash my curly curly hair and not get water or soap in my eyes.  Worked to keep my face free of water, and I haven't met a kid yet who doesn't enjoy climbing on the counter!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

hotcinnababy -- my mom did that too! We had old wooden cabinets, and she'd let me draw on the underside of them in chalk while she washed my hair. I loved that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

I wish I'd seen this post earlier. Our DD is doing the same thing. Sadly, we've tried everything suggested thus far (to no avail), even allowing her to wash the hair of whichever parent it is giving her the bath. Still a no-go when it comes time for her own.

We're muddling through and she really DOES need her hair washed each bath (every other night). It's super fine and gets sweaty and tangled instantly.

Worse than hair washing? Combing it. [sigh] Wish I could be more help, OP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

hellgirl -- have you tried the summer infant comb? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3721546

Or just a regular, wide-toothed adult comb? The ones that are supposed to protect baby's scalps have little balls on the ends of the tines that make it almost impossible to get through a combing session without tears.

Our daughter didn't mind getting her hair washed, but she minded very much getting it rinsed. We bought her a bunch of wind-up toys to play with, and that helped a lot. Then we found that she actually loves getting sprayed down with the sprayer, and will pretty much rinse her own hair under it. So now we mostly give her showers in the sink.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hellgirl. Show hellgirl's posts

lemonmelon: She doesn't mind having her hair combed in the bath at all. Isn't that weird? She just hates having her hair rinsed. We just got done in fact and I tried the washcloth trick. Um...yeah. You'd think I'd stabbed Elmo to death in front of her.

Needless to say, we aborted that and went back to the slow, meticulous method of using a washcloth and comb to rinse.

We have tried the the sprayer in the past and that's apparently torture (although getting squirted over and over by fishies isn't. Toddlers are weird.) She has tons of toys and the distraction method has never worked either.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We'll keep working at it and someday, she'll come around. I know it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

hellgirl - i love your "you'd think I'd stabbed Elmo to death in front of her" line.  That happened in our house last night when I made my daughter take a shower. I had to close the window in the bathroom.  Tonight was way better.  

It's silly but have you tried rinsing her hair with a toy watering can?  DD got one for her b-day and it has only been used in the tub.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

hellgirl -- our daughter has a general resistance to anything being done TO her. Maybe your daughter feels that way too. She doesn't like to be fed, have her nails trimmed, teeth brushed, dressed -- she wants to do it all herself. But she's still a baby and doesn't have the necessary skills.

You could also check in with EI and see if she has a sensitivity to water. My nephew did -- his body reacted weirdly to it. The EI people said that it was some sort of crossed wires in his brain, like that old trick where you grab a cold pipe and a lukewarm one and your brain tells you that you've been burned. For him, the sensation of water was very unpleasant. We'd though he was just being cranky. He's fine now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

... and she could also just be weird. Our daughter also went through months and months of diaper-change resistance. She would lie about the state of her diaper, try to escape us when we threatened to change it, and writhe and scream on the table like a demon baby. Then all of a sudden she was totally okay with it. Now she just lays there and reads a book while we change it. Just like daddy on the toilet.

Sections
Shortcuts