3.5 month old back to sleeping like a newborn....Help!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

3.5 month old back to sleeping like a newborn....Help!

Hi everyone!  It's been awhile since I've been on here.  Life's so crazy busy with a LO and being back to work. ;)

I hope someone else here has gone through what we are currently experiencing becuase I'm not sure where to go!  The posters on here are usually so helpful so hopefully someone can shed some light.

My son is 3 months and 3 weeks and for the past two weeks he has slowly moved away from his sleep schedule.  Since he was six weeks old he had been sleeping 1030pm - 530am everynight. Angel baby!  We felt so lucky.  Then all of a sudden, he started waking earlier and earlier and now he is back to being up and eating every 3 hours like a newborn.  Initally I attibuted it to that he had a little cold and I had a minor surgery.  Figuring that the changes in our household was throwing off his sleep.  Things in our house have been back on an even keel for awhile and his sleep is still funky.  We absolutely feed him when he wakes up hungry and have bumped up his bottles during the day from 4oz to 6oz so I'm not sure what to do from here.  Could it be time to introduce solids? Is it possible that he's just not getting enough to eat? We were planning to give him cereal next weekend anyways.  Any other insights to what our issue may be?

Thank you!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

Re: 3.5 month old back to sleeping like a newborn....Help!

I don't think introducing solids is going to be the answer.... It may be a growth spurt, and increasing the bottles will help, but might take a while (you say the disruption has been going on for two weeks, but when did you increase his bottles? One week ago, a few days ago? Unfortunately while it is really easy to gt off a sleep routine, it can take a while to get back on track. Also, if you have increased food intake, has there been a corresponding increase in output (is he wetting through his diapers? Pooing more than before?) We would notice with growth spurts that DD would sometimes wet more, but the food was being absorbed and used to grow, so there wasn't always an increase in output until she had gotten through the spurt.(Sorry if that is TMI, but it's what we noticed)

Also, you mention he had a cold. Was he congested? Did he get an ear infection? Sometimes, just like with adults, the congestion gets worse at night for babies, so we have found that raising the head of DD's crib on a couple of books (for a total of 2-3 inches) allows her to sleep better. We often leave it raised for a good 2-3 weeks after the cold before going back to flat, since the stuffed nose often lingers. And if he wasn't checked for an ear infection, it might be worth a call to the pediatrician, since DD had one where she didn't have a fever. We only took her in to the doctor because ear infections were going around her daycare, and our provider thought she might have one since she kept sticking her finger in her ear. And she wouldn't go down for naps or sleep very well, but we didn't make that connection until after the fact.
    HTH

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

amy-lyn that does help.  a growth spurt didn't even occur to me. duh!  it makes sense too because he's been eating lots more (we upped his feeds about a week ago but it was intermittent since he was sick and off to begin with) and his p00ps have been the same size and frequency. totally not tmi. it's parenting stuff, lol.

we've had the crib mattress elevated since the cold set in, along with the humidifier etc.  i also thought that the cold was making it hard for him to breath with the congestion.  pedi also checked his ears and all clear.

i hope this passes soon so we can get back to something closely resembling where we were.  the only positive is that he eats more efficiently now unlike when he was a new guy and feeding sometimes took 45minutes to an hour! :)

Thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

I think it can be a roller coaster- you get into a good routine, think, boy I have a great baby, then something changes, and you are back at square one, wondering what on earth to do. He will get back on track, but there will be more bumps along the way, I hope they are short!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I've always heard that solids shouldn't be introduced until 6 months -- something about how the gut isn't closed before then. (We did introduce solids earlier, so I'm not saying that anyone who does so is a jerk. Or, if I am saying that, then I'm also a jerk. Take your pick.) And the evidence is pretty clear that solids don't help the baby sleep -- that's just an old wive's tale. Those first 6 months of a baby's life are so full of changes -- mom going back to work, growth spurts, teething, waking up and noticing the world around them, etc. Like amy-lynn said, just when you think you have a system and a schedule, the baby changes it up. And while it's happening, it feels like the worst thing in the world because you think that for the rest of your life you'll be up ever hour of every night. Then all of a sudden it stops and the baby starts sleeping from 6 pm to 7 am and you forget it was different last week. Then that stops and something new starts. But it all passes really quickly and once they're old enough to sleep train life gets much easier.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

There's also a phenomenon known as the "4-month sleep regression."  It's not uncommon for babies this age to have been sleeping through the night for a while and then suddenly, for no apparent reason, stop sleeping as well.  There are a lot of developmental milestones happening around 4 months and those can affect babies' sleep patterns--hence, the regression.  I honestly can't remember all of the details, but if you google "4-month sleep regression" a bunch of stuff will come up.

My kids (twins) both did this and it was awful.  They started sleeping through the night around 14 or 15 weeks.  I went back to work when they were 16 weeks, and at 16 week, 1 day--not exaggerating--they each started waking up 2 or 3 times a night, and not at the same time.  It was brutal.  Plus, I work with doctors, so they weren't exactly the most sympathetic bunch when it came to working after being up all night.

Weissbluth talks a lot about the myth of solids and sleep in "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child."  This is a good book for understanding what babies should be capable of sleep-wise at different stages and is worth a read anyway, but he talks a lot about sleep and physiology and it really helped me get a grasp on what was going on with my kids at various stages.  He emphasizes the importance of sleep and making sleep a priority.  At 17 months, both of my kids are great nappers and overall good night sleepers.  Both of them will REQUEST to go to bed when they're tired (one or the other will come up to us and say "night night") and it's extremely rare for either of them to protest going to bed.  When we tell them "It's night night time," they head for the stairs saying "night night" over and over.  (Boy, do I hope that lasts!.)  At any rate, it's a good read, and the philosophies and techniques for getting kids to sleep well have worked well for us. 

I know it's rough, but you will get through it, and don't be in a rush to introduce solids unless he really seems ready.  The official AAP recommendation is 6 months even though many pediatricians say you can start as early as 4 months.  FWIW, my kids' sleep did not improve when we introduced solids around 5 months. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

Huh. Our daughter is a good sleeper, but she certainly doesn't ask to go to bed. Daisy, will you please come to my house and train her?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ml2620-2. Show ml2620-2's posts

You didn't mention if you were breast feeding or formula feeding but, I ask this only because of your screen name, have you upped the caffeine since returning to work? (applicable only if you are breast feeding)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Daisy75. Show Daisy75's posts

Lemon--it's kind of a trade-off, I guess.  The kids ask to go to bed and rarely fight us on going down for naps or nighttime sleep (7:30 pm bedtime).  BUT, we define "sleeping in" as 6 am most mornings (we're hoping their transition to one nap will help them sleep longer in the morning!).  I know it's freakish that they ask to go to bed, but I'm sure that karma has some kind of equally freakish, not-nearly-as-pleasant payback planned for us ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MM379. Show MM379's posts

Coffee, I definitely think a growth spurt is a big possibility.  I remember a nurse telling me to expect sleep disruption at standard growth spurt times... 3 mos was one of them.  Also, as someone else mentioned, there are a lot of milestones around this age and if he's starting to roll a little or wiggle more, I do remember reading that they are sometimes compelled, even in sleep, to practice these behaviors and may inadvertantly wake.  We started solids (cereal) around 4 mos under the pedis advice.  I would highly recommend the Weissbluth book and I would also look at your total amount of oz during the day vs. what you are feeding him at night - if the pedi thinks the daytime amount is adequate or more than enough, he may just be wanting those night feedings for comfort and some sleep training could work.  The Weissbluth book is great!  You also mentioned being back to work - how is his napping?  For me, when I went back with DS, my commutes were the kiss of death when it came to his sleep schedule - he was sleeping more during the day b/c there was a to/from daycare nap added, but it was barely long enough to provide enough rest to eliminate one of his other daytime naps.  Try the Weissbluth book and look at his napping vs. sleeping schedule - the book has some great tips. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I think that 3 months is too young for sleep training. I don't think that babies that age can understand what's going on, and it might be scary for them. Ferber says not to sleep train before 6 months. I personally wouldn't have been able to stomach it before my daughter was old enough to understand the point of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

If anyone is interested, here's a long and thoughtful thing on delaying solids and changes in ideas about infant nutritions:
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/early-solid-food-feeding.htm

This is a great site for info on introducing solids, by the way. I found it enormously helpful.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

That was an interesting article lemon..thanks!

When did most of your LO's start sleeping through the night? Were they breastfed or bottle fed and is there really a difference in how that affects their sleep?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

I don't think there's a difference.

Our daughter had periods of being a great sleeper and periods of wakefulness and fussing. I think she went down to one waking per night around 9 months. I didn't mind it too much, but around 12 months it started to really wear on me, and she didn't need to nurse overnight for sustenance or anything, so we sleep trained her. If I had another baby I'd probably sleep train earlier, between 6 and 9 months, depending on the baby's readiness.

I have heard that it can be easier to sleep train a bottle-fed baby because you can substitute water for formula for the night waking and the baby is all, "screw it, I'm not bothering to wake up for plain old water." But I don't know if that's true.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lostgrouse. Show Lostgrouse's posts

LLLE--Our DD didn't reliably sleep through the night until she was around 12-15 months or so (I can't really remember).  We never sleep trained but she would wake up once or so, nurse, and then go back to sleep.  We night weaned around 15 months which helped, but the important thing to realize is that as long as everyone in the house is not showing any signs of sleep deprivation, it's not that bad to have a night time wake up.  We were okay with our situation.  If however, there is any sleep deprivation, I would work on doing something pretty quickly.  I can't imagine that you can reliably get any baby to sleep through the night until they're at least 6 months old unless you get really lucky.  Sometimes all the stars align and they'll sleep through for weeks only to stop doing it for some unknown reason.  

We went through phases where we would say "oh, we need to swaddle, have the temp at 67, turn on the white noise CD, stand on one foot and sing Hakuna Matata" because it worked once.  Then next week we would swear by no swaddle, no noise, and playing the banjo next to her crib.  It's such a crapshoot, especially when they're young.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

In Response to Re: 3.5 month old back to sleeping like a newborn....Help!:
    [QUOTE]We went through phases where we would say "oh, we need to swaddle, have the temp at 67, turn on the white noise CD, stand on one foot and sing Hakuna Matata" because it worked once.  Then next week we would swear by no swaddle, no noise, and playing the banjo next to her crib. 
    Posted by Lostgrouse[/QUOTE]
    ha ha, us too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lemonmelon. Show lemonmelon's posts

coffee, I'm sure you've already done this, but definitely check with your pediatrician before starting solids, because 3 months is very young by most modern standards.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LiveLoveLearnEnjoy. Show LiveLoveLearnEnjoy's posts

Lost I almost spit water across the room when I read your post.  I love the bouncing on one foot and the banjo.  Thankfully DS nurses and goes right back down unless there is something else we have to do like change him because his diaper leaked.  He wakes every 2-3 hours to nurse but he is only 6 weeks old.  Not sleep deprived yet!  I was mostly just curious what people have experienced.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CoffeeQueen. Show CoffeeQueen's posts

No worries lemon about the solids.  He'll be 4 months on the 3rd and we are planning to give about a table spoon of rice cereal this weekend to test the waters.  He'll be just shy of the recommended age and I've already spoken with the pedi about it.

ML - I'm no longer BFing so it's not the caffeine lol.  I did miss the sauce (coffee) tho quite a bit when I was pregnant and nursing. :)

Well lo and behold, what a difference one night makes.  Poor little guy must have been starving because we upped his bottles again last night and he took 8 oz at 1130, slept till 430 and had another 8.  It was a glorious 5 hours!  Since then, I've called day care and he's been wolfing 6 oz bottle all day with no hesitation.

Honestly, I wouldn't be so desperate except as someone pointed out above, I am teetering on the verge of sleep deprived. DH does not get up with the baby and it's alot for one person (plus working full time).  He's not opposed to getting up he just works a ridiculously long day combined with a nearly 5 hour commute, and leaves every morning at 4am.  He needs his sleep just as much if not more and unfortunately this is our situation for now. Hopefully he can get back to a more tradional 9-5 soon so we can take turns!

Thank you all for your thoughtful input. I'm going to check out the Weissbluth book now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Coffee, I'm going through something similar, but my DD will be 6 months old this week!  Starting about 2 weeks ago she started waking up at night again.  She had pretty consistently been sleeping through the night since she was about 3 months old.  I think she may have had a cold, she was definitely congested.  We decided to start her on solids and she was doing a little better sleep-wise for about 5 days then back to waking up!  For probably about 4 days she's been waking up about once a night.  If she wakes up earlier in the night (1am or 3am) she does about half a feed (one breast) and then goes back down.  If she sleeps until 5:30 or 6 she'll do a full feed.  She does seem a bit more gassey than usual.  Could gas be waking her up?  She has been p00ping on the rice cereal so I don't think she's constipated.  Maybe it's a growth spurt like others have mentioned.  Is 6 months typically a growth spurt time?  She has her 6 mo. check-up next week, so of course I'll ask the pedi then, but I am soooo tired and will take any suggestions!!!  Coffee, I also do all the nighttime feeds since DD still nurses and I also work full time.  It's exhausting!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

So, as I was sitting nursing DD at 4am last night/this morning, I was thinking, "wow I'm thirsty.  It must be because the heat makes everything so dry." Then it hit me.  Could DD be waking up now because she's thirsty since the heat on?  Her wakefulness aligns well with the cooler weather and us turning on the heat.  Would a humidifier help?  Thoughts anyone?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from amy-lynn. Show amy-lynn's posts

It couldn't hurt to put on a humidifier. We've used one, and we still have nights where we get up in the middle of the night, so it isn't a cure all, but maybe we would've been up even more. Also, make sure the room isn't too hot/too cold, becasue both of those can disrupt sleep.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Well, it may have been a concidence, but DD slept from 12-7 last night with a humidifier :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SarahInActon. Show SarahInActon's posts

I still don't get why people always want to rush to try solids.  It probably won't hurt but a 4 month old's system isn't ready to process it and doesn't have the coordination to move food off the tounge to the back of the mouth.

And baby cereals have pretty much zero nutritional benefits and are usually fortified with more extra vitamins and minerals than can be processed.  A four month old doesn't need any extra iron at this point so it is more likely to cause constipation and an upset tummy.  If you're dying to try solids, I'd do something that's actually made of real honest to goodness food like avocado or banana (both mushed with formula/breast milk).

Just my opinion here.

Sections
Shortcuts